U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 03-21-2012, 10:31 PM
 
Location: The Magnolia City
8,936 posts, read 7,016,322 times
Reputation: 4853

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Oil won't be big business forever. I hope the economy is diversifying down there.
Houston would still have other sectors of the energy industry, its port(s), the TMC, and its other industries. We could still be able to claim that we're the capital of something. When is Dallas gonna do it?

 
Old 03-21-2012, 11:06 PM
 
1,839 posts, read 2,838,172 times
Reputation: 1095
Thankfully, the economy of DFW is so diverse it doesn't have to accept a label as 'capital' of anything.
 
Old 03-21-2012, 11:10 PM
 
3,621 posts, read 3,131,611 times
Reputation: 1287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Houston would still have other sectors of the energy industry, its port(s), the TMC, and its other industries. We could still be able to claim that we're the capital of something. When is Dallas gonna do it?
Seems like it dosent matter.....Dallas is progressing just fine without being the "Capital" of something....Dallas dosent need justification.
 
Old 03-21-2012, 11:14 PM
 
3,621 posts, read 3,131,611 times
Reputation: 1287
Sorry scout_972...we must have posted at the same time
 
Old 03-22-2012, 02:43 AM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
9,223 posts, read 9,709,565 times
Reputation: 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
Thankfully, the economy of DFW is so diverse it doesn't have to accept a label as 'capital' of anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Seems like it dosent matter.....Dallas is progressing just fine without being the "Capital" of something....Dallas dosent need justification.
Which is exactly DFW is going to level off sooner. It isn't the capital of something. What DFW has is not unique to it and can be recreated elsewhere. New York is finance, the Bay is tech, Houston is energy, LA is manufacturing and entertainment, etc. You can be the capital of an entire industry and still have a diverse economy. Besides, the energy industry is A LOT more than just oil. Dont know why people can't seem to grasp that.
 
Old 03-22-2012, 06:59 AM
 
3,621 posts, read 3,131,611 times
Reputation: 1287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Which is exactly DFW is going to level off sooner. It isn't the capital of something. What DFW has is not unique to it and can be recreated elsewhere. New York is finance, the Bay is tech, Houston is energy, LA is manufacturing and entertainment, etc. You can be the capital of an entire industry and still have a diverse economy. Besides, the energy industry is A LOT more than just oil. Dont know why people can't seem to grasp that.
The same reason people cant grasp the fact that we dont ride horses to work with cowboy hats and spurs down here in Texas....yeah..it sucks!!!
 
Old 03-22-2012, 08:00 AM
 
1,839 posts, read 2,838,172 times
Reputation: 1095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Which is exactly DFW is going to level off sooner. It isn't the capital of something.
Your statement defies logic and precedent.

The economy of DFW did not level off 'sooner' during the mid/late 2000s, in what was called the nation's worst economic downturn since the Great Depression.

Quote:
What DFW has is not unique to it and can be recreated elsewhere.
Makes no sense.

Most everything can be recreated elsewhere.

Quote:
New York is finance, the Bay is tech, Houston is energy, LA is manufacturing and entertainment, etc. You can be the capital of an entire industry and still have a diverse economy.
True, but the economies of LA, NYC and the SF Bay Area are not in the same class as Houston's. Their economies are more diverse than in most U.S. metro areas.

Quote:
Besides, the energy industry is A LOT more than just oil. Dont know why people can't seem to grasp that.
Houston is more than just oil. However, it isn't the 'capital' of many emerging energy sources produced in the United States. Solar, wind, natural gas, ethanol, electric battery cell technology etc.. are being produced and refined in various parts of the country.

Houston's energy base is predominately petro-chemical related.
 
Old 03-22-2012, 12:23 PM
 
Location: The Magnolia City
8,936 posts, read 7,016,322 times
Reputation: 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
Your statement defies logic and precedent.

The economy of DFW did not level off 'sooner' during the mid/late 2000s, in what was called the nation's worst economic downturn since the Great Depression.



Makes no sense.

Most everything can be recreated elsewhere.



True, but the economies of LA, NYC and the SF Bay Area are not in the same class as Houston's. Their economies are more diverse than in most U.S. metro areas.



Houston is more than just oil. However, it isn't the 'capital' of many emerging energy sources produced in the United States. Solar, wind, natural gas, ethanol, electric battery cell technology etc.. are being produced and refined in various parts of the country.

Houston's energy base is predominately petro-chemical related.
Houston is the energy capital of America, and no other location even comes close to snatching the title. It has been predominantly about oil and gas, but surely you don't believe that our energy companies are dumb enough to just sit back and goof off while alternative fuels play a bigger role in the economy.

Houston Strategies: Will Houston also be the center of alternative energy?
 
Old 03-22-2012, 06:39 PM
 
381 posts, read 532,087 times
Reputation: 453
Dallas is the capital of something.
Bland and Boring.
 
Old 03-22-2012, 06:59 PM
 
Location: The Mid-Cities
818 posts, read 735,445 times
Reputation: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by tebor79 View Post
Dallas is the capital of something.
Bland and Boring.
It is? Good thing I live in the burbs then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $94,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2015, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top