Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2012, 05:04 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,248,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Hey I am not from Dallas but I do recognize what is going in that town. Dallas does have a little bit more going for it besides the skycraper boom. An expanisive light rail system as well. Give Dallas some credit as much as it might hurt you to do so. I know some of you may cringe at the thought of Dallas possibly being the most progressive city in the state at this point.
Spare me the whining. This has nothing to do with not giving Dallas credit. This is about me replying to your claim that it's distancing itself from the others. That's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but other cities have good arguments as well.

Last edited by Nairobi; 03-24-2012 at 05:15 PM..

Old 03-24-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
For as long as I can remember, Houston has ALWAYS been ahead in quantity of skyscrapers. And why wouldn't they be? They're larger by over 1 million people! Yet Dallas has always, and continues to be, ahead in quality. Houston isn't sitting on its ass by any means, but Dallas always goes big or goes home, and I trust the impact of the development in Dallas over what's going on in Houston.

I'm not even sure why Austin is being mentioned. If anything, Austin's character and charm is being hurt by their urban boom. They were better when they were a college/government town without skyscrapers. Austin is starting to lose what makes Austin Austin.
Quality in what? If you're talking about skyscraper architecture, then I agree.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:13 PM

This is the smackdown thread, but I've noticed elsewhere a significant rise in the hostility coming from DFW posters.

I realize that most of your anti-Houston comments are just a backlash to the doings of HtownLove and Metro Matt (they're tough to deal with, I know), but I'm not either of them. You can be sensible around me.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:30 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,521,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Quality in what? If you're talking about skyscraper architecture, then I agree.
That's exactly what I'm talking about. Houston develops quickly and a lot, but I feel like developments in Dallas stand out more. There's no question Houston's skyline and urban core dwarfs Dallas's in size, it's huge and your skyline goes on forever! But Dallas is more grandiose in every individual project it seems like. That's just my observation. I guess whoever "wins" just depends on what you value more.

Quote:
This is the smackdown thread, but I've noticed elsewhere a significant rise in the hostility coming from DFW posters.

I realize that most of your anti-Houston comments are just a backlash to the doings of HtownLove and Metro Matt (they're tough to deal with, I know), but I'm not either of them. You can be sensible around me.
Not sure if you're referring to me, but I hope I haven't been too hostile. I don't even think I've posted much lately since I've been a lot busier at work. I try my best to avoid this place outside of work.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:53 PM

343 posts, read 800,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post

This is true...we never get any credit or rationality from them so i'm not surprised there is some agitation going on.

But I definitely agree that Dallas is better on skyscraper quality and project quality. Houston's skyline is INCREDIBLE and takes my breath away and when you look at a panorama, it trumps Dallas (although we are doing fine) but bigger is not always better.

In other news I drove around downtown today and there was a lot of life. I haven't seen it that great in a while, every restaurant in the West End was packed. (By the way I'm not comparing anything to Houston it just made me happy to see such a surprising amount of life in the urban core)

Old 03-24-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
Not sure if you're referring to me, but I hope I haven't been too hostile. I don't even think I've posted much lately since I've been a lot busier at work. I try my best to avoid this place outside of work.
No, that wasn't really directed towards you or nakold, for the most part.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:29 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,789,719 times
Fort Worth Trinity River Project is the most complex project I have ever seen. Its hard to really get a grasp on what is going on in Fort Worth. Buildings like this below just seem to pop up out of know where without much public knowledge. There doesn't seem to be a blue print on the TRV project. All I know is phase III of the sucessful west and 7th project is underway but no pictures are avaliable. I guess this is the Fort Worth way of doing business. We will all find out together how phase 3 of west & 7th will turn out when its completed.

Chef Tim Love buys this restaurant on the banks of the trinity.

Chef Tim Love buys Fort Worth real estate

CD: Museum Place - Fort Worth Forum - Page 9

Old 03-27-2012, 04:50 PM

875 posts, read 1,651,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Here's some interesting facts about Baylor

Baylor Health Care System Facts: Did You Know? - YouTube
Still not better than the Memorial Herman System.

Methodist Hospital in Houston has more National Ranked Specialties than any hospital in the state.

Top Health Systems

http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/area/in-tx

Last edited by llmrkc07; 03-27-2012 at 05:16 PM..

Old 03-27-2012, 06:09 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,383,293 times
Who took "smackdown" off the title of this thread...its been like that for years why change it now.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:28 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,768,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Who took "smackdown" off the title of this thread...its been like that for years why change it now.
i didn't even recognize the thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas