Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2012, 07:54 AM

998 posts, read 1,317,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunJuan View Post
Maybe Houstonians do that because they feel insecure and threatened by the fact that Houston is not the clear front runner for best city in Texas like they'd like to think it is?
Alot of it is insecurity because Dallas is more "known" nationally but thats nobody's fault but Houston's. Houston's inferiority complex has been written about many times. Its not just CD posters. The Houston Chronicle makes subtle references to Dallas in some of its articles as well as if the two cities are in competiton. I've never seen that from the Dallas Morning News.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:54 AM

39 posts, read 49,579 times
Isn't this like the situation of one girl looking down on another for showing off too much just to get all the guys attention.

Dose that count as inferiority complex?

I thought this was a good analogy but If you feel different (which is completely fair) what would be a better analogy on how the one views the other

Last edited by AlphaSunking; 04-09-2012 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-09-2012, 09:27 AM

659 posts, read 1,370,278 times
Anyone catch a glimpse while flipping channels of "Big Rich Texas?" Now, that is quintessential Dallas! Fake, phoney and (probably not so) rich.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:33 AM

39 posts, read 49,579 times
I did that's just bad for Texas period. Its like what Jersey Shore dose for Jersey its a stupid show

Old 04-09-2012, 09:45 AM

686 posts, read 1,161,925 times
Ummmm, these debates are somewhat overblown. both places are ridiculously similar. Main difference is one is more laid back down to earth and international (houston), while the other is more flashy and polished (dallas). As a Houstonian, my biggest gripe with dallas is the PEOPLE. As like my city, I prefer laid back down to earth people as opposed to pretentious, plastic, image first - substance takes a back seat type folks. Sort of a reflection of the city of Dallas itself.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:58 AM

405 posts, read 818,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakold23 View Post
I would tend to agree with this. I think this is because, on a national level, Dallas gets more recognition than Houston despite the many amazing things Houston has going for it. Houston has a great economy, a robust job market, and has contributed lots to America but rarely gets much national spotlight (whereas Dallas enjoys plenty).

Although I can see some of the Houstonians actions as justifiable, I do agree that it appalls me sometimes at the level of bashing that occurs. Sure, it happens from both sides but it tends to be much more rampant coming from Houstonians at least on these boards. I do not know what people in Houston think of Dallas, but generally in Dallas people are either indifferent towards Houston, or maybe simply "prefer Dallas"

I am the first to admit that I LOVE Houston although I am a native and current Dallasite. Houston is an awesome city with a lot going for it. Although I defend Dallas on certain fronts, I do not think there is any reason to do it at the expense of Houston
I can agree with that. I think that within the state Texas, Houston gets the most attention. But nationwide, Dallas does probably get just a little more attention than Houston. I think there are several reasons why (in no particular order):

- It may seem silly, but Dallas did have a popular, long running TV show named after it, so its name has been more ingrained in the national conscious much longer. Basically, just the name "Dallas" has become a part of American pop culture.

-Overall, Dallas has had better, more popular sports teams now for almost the last 20 years. As a result, they get more national coverage, and even international coverage since their teams tend to make the playoffs and win Championships more. Great sports teams can do a LOT to boost a city's rep across the nation, and even the world.

-Dallas has a more distinct identity than Houston. That's not a knock on Houston, but what I mean by that is that Dallas has more of a discernible and defined culture and is clearly the more Texan of the two. So when people and media outlets in other parts of the country think about a big cosmopolitan city that represents Texas, most of them tend to think Dallas first. It's the same reason why Top Chef picked Dallas over Houston even though Houston arguably has better overall restaurants and cuisine than Dallas. So basically, I think the one thing that CLEARLY differentiates Houston from Dallas and arguably even makes it more charming in certain ways---it's diversity and international feel---ultimately hurts it and works against it in the national conscious.

-LOCATION: Dallas is a lot more centrally located than Houston, which makes it considerably easier for people from other parts of the country to get to it whereas as Houston seems kind of isolated and out of the way being all the way down on the Gulf Coast by itself. Again, that's another thing that Houston people constantly list as one of Houston's biggest strengths (and arguably it is in some ways) but that actually works against it from a national standpoint. I personally know more people OUTSIDE of Texas who have been to Dallas as opposed to Houston, or who visit Dallas more since it's closer. If you live in Houston and want to get away and visit places outside of Texas within driving distance so you don't have to pay extra to take a plane, the closet and practically the only place of note to go to would be to New Orleans, and you can already get a decent taste of New Orleans in Houston seeing as how they are in the same region and are pretty close to each other.

Again, not knocking Houston, but these are some of the reason why we people from outside of Texas tend to think of Dallas before we think of Houston, even though Houston is a great city in it's own right that deserves to be recognized as such.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
I don't notice this in real life at all. CityData (especially threads like these) is a poor indicator of what actually happens in reality.

And there are documented cases of the reverse.... 2012 Olympic contest anyone? And news bloggers from all the major cites rip into the other cities on occasion. I see Austin bloggers do it a lot lately.

You're not really an outsider looking in anymore, you said you chose Dallas. And with remarks like these, you are participating in the trash talk as well, pulling the old inferiority complex card. Just sayin'.
I notice it in real life every time I visit both cities and the subject of the other city comes up. Trust me, it's not just on these boards.

Also, while I am familiar with both cities, I am still an outsider because I haven't moved yet, so what I'm giving you is an objective view from someone who really has no stake in either city yet. Trust me, with all the Houston/Dallas bashing that goes on on these boards from people who live in Texas/Houston or Dallas, you all NEED to hear objective opinions from others who don't live in either city about the things that they notice as an outsider and a non-Texan. Especially many of you Houstonians, who are about 80/20 against the Dallasites when it comes to the trash talking and insecurity. If I didn't know Houston for myself, some of the awful attitudes and the trash you Houstonians display and hurl on these boards would REALLY turn me off from Houston as a city.

And when did I trash talk trash Houston? You obviously didn't read the part of my post where I said that Houston and Dallas are really a tie and neither is better or worse than the other; they're just different and which one a person prefers depends on what they like better and what they look for more in a city. I love Houston just as much as I love Dallas. Living in either one would be fine for me if I didn't have a choice in the matter.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:34 AM

998 posts, read 1,317,518 times
Quote:
If you live in Houston and want to get away and visit places outside of Texas within driving distance so you don't have to pay extra to take a plane, the closet and practically the only place of note to go to would be to New Orleans, and you can already get a decent taste of New Orleans in Houston seeing as how they are in the same region and are pretty close to each other.
I disagree BIG TIME. Houston wins this. In terms of driving distances, Dallas is more isolated. Lets be honest, theres no city worth driving to thats close to Dallas (OKC?)Houston is closer to both New Orleans and San Antonio(easily the most interesting cities in the region).

I agree that Dallas is more centrally located when it comes to flying to other regions.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:38 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,786,243 times
Quote:

-LOCATION: Dallas is a lot more centrally located than Houston, which makes it considerably easier for people from other parts of the country to get to it whereas as Houston seems kind of isolated and out of the way being all the way down on the Gulf Coast by itself. Again, that's another thing that Houston people constantly list as one of Houston's biggest strengths (and arguably it is in some ways) but that actually works against it from a national standpoint.
lol, that is the funniest thing ever.

Is that why Houston gets more visitors, both foreign and domestic than Dallas???

LOL. Houston as a coastal city has a PRIME location. Dallas as a landlocked prairie town has a location convenient to people in Oklahoma and Arkansas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
I disagree BIG TIME. Houston wins this. In terms of driving distances, Dallas is more isolated. Lets be honest, theres no city worth driving to thats close to Dallas (OKC?)Houston is closer to both New Orleans and San Antonio(easily the most interesting cities in the region).

I agree that Dallas is more centrally located when it comes to flying to other regions.
Don't forget Austin, Corpus and The Valley.

Houston is closer to the Heart of Texas.

Dallas is all the way up there near Wichita Falls, Longview, and Closer to Amarillo and Lubbock.

I would Take, Austin, SA, South Padre, Corpus etc before Wichita Falls and Amarillo any day

Old 04-09-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post

Let's say you live in OKC, St. Louis, Memphis, or Nashville (just throwing some places out there) and you want to take a road trip to Texas. Are you going to stop in Dallas after you've been on the road for 6 or more hours or give on driving four more down to Houston when there is just as much to do in Dallas?

Also, yes, Dallas is definitely more centrally located driving and flying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas