U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 04-13-2012, 04:26 AM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,831 posts, read 19,389,788 times
Reputation: 6659
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Bravo!...i couldnt have said it better than this. Nairobi this is My point exactly. I think DFW being larger than the Houston area is the hardest pill for Houstonians to swallow. I think thats the reason they try and seperate Dallas and Ft.Worth,because thats the only way Houston can win.

Oh,and Nairobi Im still waiting on Houston's list of TOD's so I can retract my statement.
Last time I checked; they were. Are they not???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-13-2012, 04:34 AM
 
Location: Plano, TX
769 posts, read 702,051 times
Reputation: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
It is more continuous than DFW. Again, go look at a density map. The southern side of Houston is the most sparse, but even then, it is no where mear South Dallas County, or west 820.
I agree. What I have seen in Houston is that even where there are some vast stretches of undeveloped land (i.e. far Western and Northwestern parts of the city), they are building new neighborhoods at farily high density with many home very close to each other. With the continued rapid growth of the city of Houston, I could see it easily reaching 3 million residents in 20 years and the Houston Metro surpassing DFW.

One thing I have noticed here in DFW is that when traveling west on either 20 or 30 during evening rush, the traffic volume seems to go down significantly once you cross into Tarrant County (in Grand Prarie). Grand Prarie itself seems to have lots of open land in areas along both interstates.

Of course, Tarrant County has almost 1 million fewer residents than Dallas County, so I guess it makes sense that there is still a decent amount of open land given that both counties are pretty much the same size. From what I have seen, far south Dallas county is the only part of Dallas County that isn't built up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2012, 09:47 AM
 
3,114 posts, read 2,275,941 times
Reputation: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Driving from dallas on the way to fort worth, you can clearly tell that you're leaving Dallas and headed to a different city. I know this because the density and development is far more sparse once you leave the city limits of Dallas. For example, Las Colinas ,a very nice urban development, it still is no more than a glorified office park that feels very disconnected from Dallas. I agree that taking the 183 route as opposed to 20, you see more consistency in development, but it still doesn't change the fact that there are gaps in the metroplex.

From Houston to Galveston for example, it's connected pretty much all the way from The Woodlands all the way to Galveston. Leaving the city of Houston, you enter the city of Webster which has undergone crazy development and implementation of new freeway interchanges in the recent years. Then you enter League city/Dickinson areas which is exploding with new development right now. Galveston is only about 10 more miles after that. Any small gaps that sat between Houston and Galveston is quickly filling up now.

stoneclaw/C2H (ComingtoHouston)
This is so true...This is the ONE thing I always wished Dallas did like Houston....Develop evenly...Not the blender effect that I was speaking of earlier but the same amount of development in North Dallas south of 30..... Thats why I hope the southern sector of Dallas catches up with North Dallas so it CAN feel more whole.Thats why Dallas seems so small to people because it seems like it starts at Downtown going north.......but we good!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2012, 01:51 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
337 posts, read 334,888 times
Reputation: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
This is so true...This is the ONE thing I always wished Dallas did like Houston....Develop evenly...Not the blender effect that I was speaking of earlier but the same amount of development in North Dallas south of 30..... Thats why I hope the southern sector of Dallas catches up with North Dallas so it CAN feel more whole.Thats why Dallas seems so small to people because it seems like it starts at Downtown going north.......but we good!!!

This is similar in San Antonio. The South Side is way less developed, and the city is expanding to the west, northwest, due north, and northeast like crazy, while the other parts are somewhat stagnant. The northern and western arcs of Loop 410 here have become the axis of the city, instead of downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2012, 05:57 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
2,429 posts, read 2,169,957 times
Reputation: 1180
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Trae Houston growth is not continous. The southern half of the metro has tons of open land. I personally seen it for myself. Houston metro overall really isnt as developed as ya'll try to make it out to be.
Exactly. I have followed these threads for a long time. They are what got me interested enough to check out Houston. I was really expecting the continuous sprawl like you see in the LA basin or along the South Florida coast. I was surprised by the amount of open land or very low density style development I saw in some areas of Houston after reading comments from the folks down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2012, 06:01 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
2,429 posts, read 2,169,957 times
Reputation: 1180
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Driving from dallas on the way to fort worth, you can clearly tell that you're leaving Dallas and headed to a different city. I know this because the density and development is far more sparse once you leave the city limits of Dallas. For example, Las Colinas ,a very nice urban development, it still is no more than a glorified office park that feels very disconnected from Dallas. I agree that taking the 183 route as opposed to 20, you see more consistency in development, but it still doesn't change the fact that there are gaps in the metroplex.

From Houston to Galveston for example, it's connected pretty much all the way from The Woodlands all the way to Galveston. Leaving the city of Houston, you enter the city of Webster which has undergone crazy development and implementation of new freeway interchanges in the recent years. Then you enter League city/Dickinson areas which is exploding with new development right now. Galveston is only about 10 more miles after that. Any small gaps that sat between Houston and Galveston is quickly filling up now.

stoneclaw/C2H (ComingtoHouston)
This comparison is actually backward and totally proves the Houston bias! It is fully developed from Dallas to FT Worth along 183. Going from Houston to Galveston can be very countrylike and sparse with wide open fields. Airport Freeway in DFW you may find a random vacant lot where something was demo'd for new construction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2012, 07:24 PM
 
3,114 posts, read 2,275,941 times
Reputation: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Last time I checked; they were. Are they not???
I meant Houstonians always reference city to city comparisons and not reigional (which is what really matters).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2012, 08:09 PM
 
Location: Dallas,Texas
4,637 posts, read 3,729,997 times
Reputation: 1338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
The way I see it, they call it the Metroplex for a reason: it's a metro area centered around two major cities and several suburbs. Dallas is the dominant city, but it isn't the sole focus, which is why DFW looks and feels like a large network of several distinct locales.

Regardless of the false and baseless crap dallasboi is spewing out of ignorance, the Houston area is certainly composed of distinct areas (i.e. The Woodlands and Clear Lake are two different worlds), but the difference is merely that our suburbs are all little branches revolving around one center.

But yes, bragging about being the only city of a metro is silly, as is bragging about being multipolar.
The term metroplex is a combination of the words metropolitan and complex. The North Texas Commission copyrighted the name Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex in 1972. The name replaced North Texas because it wasn't identifiable outside the state. A survey was done and only 38% identified Dallas and Fort Worth as a part of North Texas. (62% thought the Texas Panhandle was North Texas)


North Texas is still being used a lot on the news. They only use the word metroplex to describe Dallas and Tarrant Counties, anything outside of those counties is called North Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2012, 10:14 PM
 
Location: The Magnolia City
8,937 posts, read 5,561,117 times
Reputation: 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
The term metroplex is a combination of the words metropolitan and complex. The North Texas Commission copyrighted the name Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex in 1972. The name replaced North Texas because it wasn't identifiable outside the state. A survey was done and only 38% identified Dallas and Fort Worth as a part of North Texas. (62% thought the Texas Panhandle was North Texas)


North Texas is still being used a lot on the news. They only use the word metroplex to describe Dallas and Tarrant Counties, anything outside of those counties is called North Texas.
Um, okay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2012, 10:17 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
13,390 posts, read 14,456,314 times
Reputation: 5001
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Driving from dallas on the way to fort worth, you can clearly tell that you're leaving Dallas and headed to a different city. I know this because the density and development is far more sparse once you leave the city limits of Dallas. For example, Las Colinas ,a very nice urban development, it still is no more than a glorified office park that feels very disconnected from Dallas. I agree that taking the 183 route as opposed to 20, you see more consistency in development, but it still doesn't change the fact that there are gaps in the metroplex.

From Houston to Galveston for example, it's connected pretty much all the way from The Woodlands all the way to Galveston. Leaving the city of Houston, you enter the city of Webster which has undergone crazy development and implementation of new freeway interchanges in the recent years. Then you enter League city/Dickinson areas which is exploding with new development right now. Galveston is only about 10 more miles after that. Any small gaps that sat between Houston and Galveston is quickly filling up now.

stoneclaw/C2H (ComingtoHouston)
I disagree. It may seem that way because Dallas does not build up on the freeways as much as Houston does. You see the development from Houston to Galveston and you think its consistent but its not. You get off the interstate and the gaps begin going west. Pearland is just starting to build up but South and west of the is nothing more than nature running its course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:04 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top