Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2012, 11:05 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,706,650 times

Advertisements

Like they always say, "if you can make it in Houston or Dallas....you can make it anywhere, in East Texas!"

Old 04-13-2012, 11:10 PM

998 posts, read 1,324,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
This comparison is actually backward and totally proves the Houston bias! It is fully developed from Dallas to FT Worth along 183. Going from Houston to Galveston can be very countrylike and sparse with wide open fields. Airport Freeway in DFW you may find a random vacant lot where something was demo'd for new construction.
Going south on Loop 12 from 183 to I20 is far more "country" than anything you find in the Houston area. Its more scenic than the rest of DFW but also more undeveloped considering its within the city limits of a major city.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:15 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
This is so true...This is the ONE thing I always wished Dallas did like Houston....Develop evenly...Not the blender effect that I was speaking of earlier but the same amount of development in North Dallas south of 30..... Thats why I hope the southern sector of Dallas catches up with North Dallas so it CAN feel more whole.Thats why Dallas seems so small to people because it seems like it starts at Downtown going north.......but we good!!!
God knows Fort Worth has done its part to develop out to cover that land, although I HATE that idea and wish it would build within more before building out.

Houston's really stretching out to where I am in PV.... and we're 45 miles away. Feels like by the time my kids in college (and I don't have any yet, so who knows when that will be) the cow pastures and WIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE open spaces I see will be more than filled.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:17 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,296,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
Going south on Loop 12 from 183 to I20 is far more "country" than anything you find in the Houston area. Its more scenic than the rest of DFW but also more undeveloped considering its within the city limits of a major city.
Because we have hills! Is this a bad thing?
LA has hilly areas that aren't developed. I guess its not as developed as Houston either.

and for the record the gaps between galveston and houston are just as big as anything between dallas and FW. i remember a lot of rural looking areas in northern Houston.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:20 PM

25 posts, read 33,758 times
It seems like it would depend mostly on which you are comparing.

Houston proper vs. Dallas proper Edge:Houston
GHA vs. DFW Edge: DFW

Old 04-13-2012, 11:25 PM

998 posts, read 1,324,653 times
Quote:
Because we have hills! Is this a bad thing?
LA has hilly areas that aren't developed. I guess its not as developed as Houston either.

and for the record the gaps between galveston and houston are just as big as anything between dallas and FW. i remember a lot of rural looking areas in northern Houston.
The thing you fail to understand is that the "gaps" in Dallas are actually located within the city limits of Dallas. Bringing up gaps in development between Houston and Galveston means nothing as the cities are 50 miles apart. Going south on 45 is far more consistent and dense within the city limits of Houston than the areas of Dallas that I mentioned.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
The thing you fail to understand is that the "gaps" in Dallas are actually located within the city limits of Dallas. Bringing up gaps in development between Houston and Galveston means nothing as the cities are 50 miles apart. Going south on 45 is far more consistent and dense within the city limits of Houston than the areas of Dallas that I mentioned.
Okay so all that means is that scenic areas are closer to the city center of Dallas. Does it really matter where the gaps are? Dallas and DFW both support large populations so with all of these gaps and wide open spaces here (that Houston claims we have) and still having a population nearing 7 million that must mean that there are more dense pockets in DFW than in Houston. Right?

Trust me if you are hanging out in the city of Dallas, the fact that there's a field in Grand Prairie really isn't going to affect your life much.

The land around Loop 12 in Far SW Dallas and in Grand Prairie is mostly Trinity watershed or hills. This land will most likely never be developed or can't be and why would it be if other areas can be developed. Dallas is building a lot in it's core I would much rather that than encouraging even more suburban sprawl out to fill in some field in Grand Prairie. I understand that you all are trying to make this look as negative as possible toward Dallas, but there are obvious reasons that land is not developed and like i've said in a previous post it's not that much of a gap anyway. You definitely don't feel like you're out in the country somewhere. This is also a factor in why Houston has so many more people in it's city limits than Dallas, the geography/topography allows for more growth. Dallas is divided up by flood plains and levees. We just build around the undesirable/undevelopable land. Is that such a bad thing? It really is amazing how you all can turn anything about Dallas into something so negative.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:48 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,372,669 times
Quote:
Okay so all that means is that scenic areas are closer to the city center of Dallas. Does it really matter where the gaps are? Dallas and DFW both support large populations so with all of these gaps and wide open spaces here (that Houston claims we have) and still having a population nearing 7 million that must mean that there are more dense pockets in DFW than in Houston. Right?

Trust me if you are hanging out in the city of Dallas, the fact that there's a field in Grand Prairie really isn't going to affect your life much.

The land around Loop 12 in Far SW Dallas and in Grand Prairie is mostly Trinity watershed or hills. This land will most likely never be developed or can't be and why would it be if other areas can be developed. Dallas is building a lot in it's core I would much rather that than encouraging even more suburban sprawl out to fill in some field in Grand Prairie. I understand that you all are trying to make this look as negative as possible toward Dallas, but there are obvious reasons that land is not developed and like i've said in a previous post it's not that much of a gap anyway. You definitely don't feel like you're out in the country somewhere. This is also a factor in why Houston has so many more people in it's city limits than Dallas, the geography/topography allows for more growth. Dallas is divided up by flood plains and levees. We just build around the undesirable/undevelopable land. Is that such a bad thing? It really is amazing how you all can turn anything about Dallas into something so negative.
^ This.

If the choice is between driving through ugly uncontrolled sprawl (like many of Texas' cities are good at producing) or undeveloped rural-looking greenspace, I'll choose the greenspace. Or, at least, until our cities excel at smart growth.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
^ This.

If the choice is between driving through ugly uncontrolled sprawl (like many of Texas' cities are good at producing) or undeveloped rural-looking greenspace, I'll choose the greenspace. Or, at least, until our cities excel at smart growth.
Ya where are the Dallas posters turning the crap along Houstons freeways into a negative? Driving along an 8 lane freeway with rolling hills/ trees with lakes and rivers for a few miles in a huge metro area is such a bad thing!

Old 04-13-2012, 11:56 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
I'll take the sprawl, please. East Texas has all the trees and open space I could ever need.

Give me the concrete jungle. Make me come alive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas