U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 04-21-2012, 10:40 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
13,465 posts, read 14,945,293 times
Reputation: 5065

Advertisements

Uh dude, they are also choosing Houston as well. With Houston, there isn't a spot for Black professionals because they scatter all of the place. I disagree with the article to an extent because Cedar Hill and De Soto and such are great places for Black FAMILIES. Black singles is another story and that's where Dallas hurts. They don't know where to go. In DC, they are scattered all over the place in the city and inner suburbs and you see Black professionals walking all over the place. It's stating to happen in Houston as well as many Black Washingtonians that I've spoken with has good things to say about Houston. It really does help to have good HBCUs in your area. Houston, Atlanta, and DC has at least two in their metro and they are popular as well. In my high school class in 2001, 8 kids graduated from PV and 6 of them went to live in Houston. It's where they partied on weekends and enjoyed the city. They became comfortable with what Houston had to offer.

Last edited by Spade; 04-21-2012 at 10:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-21-2012, 10:42 AM
 
3,224 posts, read 2,456,424 times
Reputation: 1149
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunJuan View Post
LOL, the article most definitely rode ATL's nuts, which is what makes it such a joke and what immediately notifies you that it's an article that should not be taken seriously. Why? Because if ATL is the city the writer wants to hold on a pedestal as the undisputed "Black Mecca', then he or she is at least 3 or 4 years too late. Atlanta has "maxed out" and many of its Black professionals and those who would have chosen Atlanta 5 or more years ago are simply choosing to go other places now that that has become apparent, and Dallas is getting a large percentage of those Black professionals now while Houston---which statistically gets more Black people in general because it's bigger---seems to be attracting more Black trash than Black professionals. Also, speaking of Black trash, I get so tired of people acting like Atlanta is full of only educated professional Black people when they have just as many T.I.s and Tinys running around as they do Cliff and Claire Huxtables. The Cliff and Claire Huxtables seem to be slowly relocating to the DFW area while the T.I.s and Tinys seem to be making Houston their new hotbed.
Exactly!!....This goes back to what I was saying about how the "Black College experience" is not that important in Dallas and that a quality education and atmosphere for an up and coming professional African American is in an integrated college atmosphere. An enviroment that simulates the real world. To me Black colleges are slowly becoming irrelevant in today's society. HBCU's were created so blacks would have a place to go to college back in the 50's....That's not needed today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2012, 10:46 AM
 
678 posts, read 456,663 times
Reputation: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Exactly!!....This goes back to what I was saying about how the "Black College experience" is not that important in Dallas and that a quality education and atmosphere for an up and coming professional African American is in an integrated college atmosphere. An enviroment that simulates the real world. To me Black colleges are slowly becoming irrelevant in today's society. HBCU's were created so blacks would have a place to go to college back in the 50's....That's not needed today.

Theres so much ignorance in this post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2012, 10:49 AM
 
3,224 posts, read 2,456,424 times
Reputation: 1149
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
Theres so much ignorance in this post
Point it out!!!....This is MY opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2012, 10:56 AM
 
3,224 posts, read 2,456,424 times
Reputation: 1149
Look..I am one who packed up and moved to Houston to go to T.S.U also. So all of my post about this are coming from personal experience...At that age, I TOO looked at Houston as being the better city for blacks and I had alot of fun. But as time went on and I came back to dallas i realized that Dallas was a place to take care of business and all the fun and games that went on in Houston(the better city for blacks)was not important in Dallas....it was time for me to start my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2012, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
13,465 posts, read 14,945,293 times
Reputation: 5065
Dallasboi, you come to DC and ask if Howard is not needed. Blacks from all over the country attend this college. After they finish, they STAY in DC because DC has so much to offer for a good qol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
It is? I've never thought that.
Because you're in Dallas, I suppose. Growing up in Killeen, Houston was seen as the spot for Blacks in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2012, 11:02 AM
 
678 posts, read 456,663 times
Reputation: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Point it out!!!....This is MY opinion.
You're entitled to your opinion but when the facts state that most Blacks have earned their bachelor's degrees at PV more than any other university in the state in the most recent years. PV still produces the most Black engineers,nurses, and Black students in medical schools in Texas. TSU still produces more Black pharmacists than any other school in TX. Taking all of that into account, I can't see how one can draw the conclusion that HBCU's are not needed; especially here in Texas.

The belief that HBCU's do not simulate the "real world" is silly at best. Proportionately speaking, the amount of Whites at Prairie View is the same as Blacks at Texas A&M. Is it your belief that 80% white classes at A&M somehow represent the real world? Especially in a "minority"-majority state like Texas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2012, 11:02 AM
 
Location: The Magnolia City
8,937 posts, read 5,911,689 times
Reputation: 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunJuan View Post
With that being said, Dallas seems to be the big Texas city that's now attracting most of the Black professionals who are leaving Atlanta to escape its over saturation and it's large ghetto element, and Houston seems to be the new Black Mecca for the other segment of Blacks in ATL and other places around the country who are hood, uneducated, and are just looking for the next big "it" city for Black folks to party in without really contributing much if anything to the local community. That's the type of element that educated Black professionals try to avoid, and Dallas seems more like the city to do that now than Houston.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunJuan View Post
Dallas is getting a large percentage of those Black professionals now while Houston---which statistically gets more Black people in general because it's bigger---seems to be attracting more Black trash than Black professionals....The Cliff and Claire Huxtables seem to be slowly relocating to the DFW area while the T.I.s and Tinys seem to be making Houston their new hotbed.
I want to see the receipts, Shaun. Where is the evidence of this phenomenon you speak of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2012, 11:09 AM
 
3,224 posts, read 2,456,424 times
Reputation: 1149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Dallasboi, you come to DC and ask if Howard is not needed. Blacks from all over the country attend this college. After they finish, they STAY in DC because DC has so much to offer for a good qol.



Because you're in Dallas, I suppose. Growing up in Killeen, Houston was seen as the spot for Blacks in Texas.
You totally misunderstood me..What I meant was back in the 50's if you were black these same schools were designated for you. Now blacks only attend black schools by choice not by force. And as time goes on less and less people will Choose to go to a black college because all of the schools that they once couldnt attend are now accessable so it eventually makes the HBCUs purpose obsolete......Im not saying they are not needed in today's world but it will happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2012, 11:11 AM
 
Location: The Magnolia City
8,937 posts, read 5,911,689 times
Reputation: 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Look..I am one who packed up and moved to Houston to go to T.S.U also. So all of my post about this are coming from personal experience...At that age, I TOO looked at Houston as being the better city for blacks and I had alot of fun. But as time went on and I came back to dallas i realized that Dallas was a place to take care of business and all the fun and games that went on in Houston(the better city for blacks)was not important in Dallas....it was time for me to start my life.
Pages ago, some of you were suggesting that Houston was nothing but a business town, and that Dallas was better for leisure. Now you've flipped the script: Dallas is all about business, and Houston is about nothing but fun and games? Well our GMP and employment figures might argue otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top