U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 04-21-2012, 11:18 AM
 
10,315 posts, read 10,771,619 times
Reputation: 2231

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunJuan View Post
See, I disagree with that article. I've met and know plenty of Black professionals in Dallas and we've never had any problem finding each other. I also have never experienced any racial tension in Dallas between black and whites. This article makes Dallas sound like a backwards, Jim Crow town that is stuck in the old South (like Memphis), which it most certainly is not. It also uses Atlanta as a measuring stick, which is unfair because many Black people in Atlanta these days are leaving because they realize Atlanta has become extremely over saturated, large Black professional population or not.

Moreover, ATL has more than its fair share of ghetto, uneducated Black folks who moved to ATL and helped flood and over saturate ATL on the coattails of its many Black professionals. With that being said, Dallas seems to be the big Texas city that's now attracting most of the Black professionals who are leaving Atlanta to escape its over saturation and it's large ghetto element, and Houston seems to be the new Black Mecca for the other segment of Blacks in ATL and other places around the country who are hood, uneducated, and are just looking for the next big "it" city for Black folks to party in without really contributing much if anything to the local community. That's the type of element that educated Black professionals try to avoid, and Dallas seems more like the city to do that now than Houston.

I am Black by the way before anybody tries to get offended/report me as racist.
How do you know that blacks are moving from Atlanta to Houston? I've not seen any reports.

Last edited by SouthernBoy205; 04-21-2012 at 11:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-21-2012, 11:19 AM
 
678 posts, read 458,339 times
Reputation: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I want to see the receipts, Shaun. Where is the evidence of this phenomenon you speak of?
There is no evidence. As long as Dallas cannot produce its own Black professionals then no matter how many transplants move there; it will never be on the level of Houston. Thats exactly what the former mayor of Dallas touched on.

A great resource would be a book called "Black Dixie:Afro-Texan History and Culture in Houston". Its a collection of essays,most written in the 20s and 30. There are several observations of the Black community and race relations in Houston at the time made by both Texans and visitors. Some of the most notable observations:

Houston was unlike any other city in America in that it did not have one thriving Black community; it had 3. Each was anchored by its own high school (Booker T Washington in the 4th Ward,Yates in the 3rd, and Wheatley in the 5th). No other city in America had 3 high schools for its Black students and Wheatley was actually known as having the most impressive Black campus in the Nation.

Race relations were described as "progressive" for a southern city at the time as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2012, 11:22 AM
 
3,227 posts, read 2,472,228 times
Reputation: 1149
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
You're entitled to your opinion but when the facts state that most Blacks have earned their bachelor's degrees at PV more than any other university in the state in the most recent years. PV still produces the most Black engineers,nurses, and Black students in medical schools in Texas. TSU still produces more Black pharmacists than any other school in TX. Taking all of that into account, I can't see how one can draw the conclusion that HBCU's are not needed; especially here in Texas.

The belief that HBCU's do not simulate the "real world" is silly at best. Proportionately speaking, the amount of Whites at Prairie View is the same as Blacks at Texas A&M. Is it your belief that 80% white classes at A&M somehow represent the real world? Especially in a "minority"-majority state like Texas?
They dont...And yes blacks are the minority at A&M...Hell blacks are the minority everywhere except africa.And I can promise you a majority white school would prepare a black professional for the "Corporate world" 10,000 times better than P.V.

Yes P.V and T.S.U are popular black schools but their standard of education is still not not up to a level to compete with predominately white schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2012, 11:24 AM
JJG
 
Location: Fort Worth
10,828 posts, read 10,438,735 times
Reputation: 4701
Y'all talkin' about my school, again....?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2012, 11:24 AM
 
678 posts, read 458,339 times
Reputation: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
They dont...And yes blacks are the minority at A&M...Hell blacks are the minority everywhere except africa.And I can promise you a majority white school would prepare a black professional for the "Corporate world" 10,000 times better than P.V.

Yes P.V and T.S.U are popular black schools but their standard of education is still not not up to a level to compete with predominately white schools.
Like I said, your opinions are full of ignorance and dare I say it; indicative of alot of native Black Dallasites' mentalities. Carry on...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2012, 11:27 AM
 
3,227 posts, read 2,472,228 times
Reputation: 1149
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
Like I said, your opinions are full of ignorance and dare I say it; indicative of alot of native Black Dallasites' mentalities. Carry on...
point the lie out......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2012, 11:33 AM
 
3,227 posts, read 2,472,228 times
Reputation: 1149
What about the thousands and thousands of blacks that graduate from white schools??? Do they not count as being a professional black because they didn't go to a HBCU?..They live in the same cities as the other blacks do...They just live in the better parts because they get paid more.....Just thinking out loud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2012, 11:52 AM
 
Location: At your mama's house
967 posts, read 980,553 times
Reputation: 1107
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Point it out!!!....This is MY opinion.
Well it's an ignorant, slave mentality opinion, but no surprise coming from a Dallasite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2012, 01:09 PM
 
350 posts, read 401,080 times
Reputation: 503
HBCUs are garbage. They provide a poor education infused with superstition (religion).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2012, 01:18 PM
JJG
 
Location: Fort Worth
10,828 posts, read 10,438,735 times
Reputation: 4701
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT3x View Post
HBCUs are garbage. They provide a poor education infused with superstition (religion).
.....wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:05 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top