Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2013, 08:40 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
It's hard to hear or see any props when so many people shut down Dallas any chance they get. It just gets old. I am not saying Uptown is all of DFW or even Dallas for that matter, it is a small urban neighborhood in the core of the city and like Houston Dallas has many neighborhoods with their own identities. I never did say that Midtown Houston spoke for the city or metro area. My reference was to the fact that when Dallas posters ask what area of Houston is like our Uptown there have been some responses that Midtown is the closest thing. While that may be the closest thing that Houston has to our Uptown I mentioned that I feel like the Dallas neighborhood of Bryan Place is a better comparison to Midtown Houston as they really are very similar, much moreso than Uptown Dallas to Midtown Houston.
Why do Dallas posters cry so much, when someone critics uptown?

Old 04-16-2013, 01:35 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times
Quote:
My memory is of seeing quite a bit of parking lots in front of businesses, strip malls and even fast food restaurants. I am interested in seeing this other side that he is referring to. I am open to having my opinion altered. That's why I wanted to be proven wrong on the subject.
All those things you mention do exist, but that has been slowly changing for at least the last 3-4 years. New developments like West Ave, Westcreek/High Street development have taken place to add to the ambience. I see new condos and things developing off Richmond Ave as well.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:06 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Why do Dallas posters cry so much, when someone critics uptown?
I'm just asking that you provide information to prove your claim that Houston has a better street level presence than Dallas. It's a simple request that consists of no crying. I'm not upset at all. I am just curious to see what you present. Perhaps I'm not familiar with the urban areas of Houston you're referring to, that's all.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:08 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
And what a charitable thing for you to say.

Surely you can see why that remark was taken the wrong way. I mean, you're hardly a boy scout. Your "compliments" often come with a nice dose of shade.
Well there wasn't any shade intended when I made that comment. If it was read into the wrong way, I can't do anything about that. Driving around Houston does afford some great views of the skylines around the city. Dallas just doesn't have the same type of development as Houston. The best ride in Houston is from downtown on 59 over to Uptown on 610.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Well there wasn't any shade intended when I made that comment. If it was read into the wrong way, I can't do anything about that. Driving around Houston does afford some great views of the skylines around the city. Dallas just doesn't have the same type of development as Houston. The best ride in Houston is from downtown on 59 over to Uptown on 610.
It's still the smackdown thread to me. So nevertheless, I don't care either way how you meant it. Just don't be mad if i talk smack back!

I took it like you were basically saying that Houston is impressive from far away as long as you stay on the freeway. Almost basically that Houston as a city has nothing to offer while Dallas is this buzzing city with pedestrians everywhere. As bad as sprawl is looked at on these forums, I personally took it as a small jab at the city. Houston posters disagreed with you and rightfully defended their city. Done!

I've given Dallas jabs before and still do, but I own up to it and don't get mad if people talk smack back. Because at the end of the day, it's entertainment. Just keep it 100!!! If it was meant as a jab, don't act all innocent and try to pretend that it wasn't.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:07 PM

490 posts, read 1,097,986 times
Are the Dallas neighborhoods that are home to large numbers of young professionals cleaner and more aesthetically-pleasing than similar neighborhoods in Houston?

I keep hearing that Uptown, et al. are much nicer than Montrose, et al. Is this true?

I have yet to visit either Houston or Dallas.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:13 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
It's still the smackdown thread to me. So nevertheless, I don't care either way how you meant it. Just don't be mad if i talk smack back!

I took it like you were basically saying that Houston is impressive from far away as long as you stay on the freeway. Almost basically that Houston as a city has nothing to offer while Dallas is this buzzing city with pedestrians everywhere. As bad as sprawl is looked at on these forums, I personally took it as a small jab at the city. Houston posters disagreed with you and rightfully defended their city. Done!

I've given Dallas jabs before and still do, but I own up to it and don't get mad if people talk smack back. Because at the end of the day, it's entertainment. Just keep it 100!!! If it was meant as a jab, don't act all innocent and try to pretend that it wasn't.
So, clearly, it isn't just me.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
Are the Dallas neighborhoods that are home to large numbers of young professionals cleaner and more aesthetically-pleasing than similar neighborhoods in Houston?

I keep hearing that Uptown, et al. are much nicer than Montrose, et al. Is this true?

I have yet to visit either Houston or Dallas.

Let's leave it like this.

Dallas's development is pretty new and trendy strictly across the board. Houston has old/antique mixed in with the new.

So if you mean that it is nicer as in plastic? Yes. But nicer as in unique and soulful? No.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:50 PM

490 posts, read 1,097,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Let's leave it like this.

Dallas's development is pretty new and trendy strictly across the board. Houston has old/antique mixed in with the new.

So if you mean that it is nicer as in plastic? Yes. But nicer as in unique and soulful? No.
I don't like old/antique, even if that means unique and soulful.

I grew up in New England. I've had a lifetime fill of that look.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:54 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
I don't like old/antique, even if that means unique and soulful.

I grew up in New England. I've had a lifetime fill of that look.
Then, by all means, go with Dallas.

A lot of people do prefer the more "plastic", cleaner look. I can admit that Dallas is a cuter city than Houston is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas