Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2013, 03:50 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Dallas is more metropolitan and seemed more cosmopolitan as a place. It's people, however, seemed more regional in their viewpoints, attitudes and aspirations. In other words, it wasn't very different to me from East Texas, where I grew up--the mood of the people felt like an extension of Oklahoma, Arkansas and Louisiana. Houston was the opposite. It seemed to have more of a regional identity tied to the Gulf Coast in terms of its urban makeup and sense of itself as a city, with people from all over the world, who brought their influences and sense of urban life. In other words, Dallas felt like a small town in a big-city suit and Houston felt like a big city with a small-town attitude. I preferred Houston.
I think there is a huge difference based on where you are in the Dallas and DFW areas as to peoples view points. Part of what drives a difference based on peoples view points can be based on the economy and since Houston's economy is much more internationally tied, people can get a sense that what happens on a different side of the globe effects them more. The Dallas areas economy is more domestically tied but also with large economic ties to specific countries (India, the UK, and Korea being the big three).

However, when we take the economies out of the picture, the Dallas areas residential make up is very similar to Houston's (albeit slightly smaller) when it comes the international make up of its residents. The big difference is that all thats international about the residential makeup of Dallas isnt in Dallas. Several suburbs of Dallas (especially Plano, Garland, and Irving) have a much larger international reach than Dallas itself especially when it comes to non-Hispanic immigrants. Below are some numbers to prove my point:

Here are the foreign born Indian residents by Texas city:

Houston: 23,503
Plano: 21,917
Irving: 18,889
Austin: 15,279
Sugar Land: 11,906
Richardson: 7,138
San Antonio: 7,112
Dallas: 5,978
Frisco: 5,018

Here are the foreign born Vietnamese by Texas city:

Houston: 34,383
Arlington: 17,094
Garland: 10,373
Austin: 8,923
Dallas: 6,310
Fort Worth: 6,087
Carrollton: 5,997
San Antonio: 5,131

I have had time to gather numbers among other Asians nor Subsaharan Africans, but the trend is the same. Outside of Hispanics from Central American and Mexico, Dallas (and Fort Worth for that matter) fall way short of their suburbs in terms of the non-Mexican/Central American international make up of residents. I do lots of work with companies in India and South Asia and they are sending residents to the Dallas area by the truck load. However, the city of Dallas isnt on their radar, however Plano and Irving certainly are.

The first two years after moving from LA, I lived in the city of Dallas and the last two Ive lived in Plano. I can say quiet comfortably that Plano feels alot more international than Dallas does especially when talking about the residential makeup. Also, people in Plano seem to have the same world views as youre describing from Houston whereas, I agree, Dallas didnt seem to.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:27 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,269,365 times
Dallas does give off an aura/persona of being sharper and better kept. It also feels a little more pedestrian overall mainly thanks to the Uptown area. It was a smart move to blend the Uptown/Downtown area together as to now people really can't tell the difference. It feels like all one unified area now.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:06 PM

6,689 posts, read 9,935,924 times
Here's some interesting Travel Videos about both cities. Do you think they showcased enough about Houston and Dallas?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt7lpqdbNgA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9jWxwpXMPM

Old 07-18-2013, 11:11 AM

178 posts, read 379,271 times
Pretty general but still good vids

Old 07-18-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ry1an3 View Post
Pretty general but still good vids
Yeah, but I thought they could have said a little more about Houston and Dallas.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:38 PM

6,287 posts, read 7,492,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Yeah, but I thought they could have said a little more about Houston and Dallas.
One thing that was interesting to me, is that they included Galveston as if it was Houston, in the Houston video, but Fort Worth wasn't even, or was barely mentioned, I should say, in the Dallas video, as far as I can tell. Did you notice that, or is it just me?

Maybe Fort Worth has their own vid...

Last edited by Jack Lance; 07-18-2013 at 03:11 PM..

Old 07-18-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
One thing that was interesting to me, is that they included Galveston as if it was Houston, in the Houston video, but Fort Worth wasn't even, or was barely mentioned, I should say, in the Dallas video, as far as I can tell. Did you notice that, or is it just me?

Maybe Fort Worth has their own vid...
I noticed it too. They didn't make a Fort Worth video yet.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:51 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSMxBpF055o

Old 07-19-2013, 02:17 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,447,646 times
An interesting read.....Dallas area

Old 07-19-2013, 02:49 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,484,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
An interesting read.....Dallas area
After reading this I don't know if I'm glass half empty or half full. I'm not a fan of the "value" office projects, because most of those end up in our lame suburbs. However, I am excited about State Farm, even though it's in Richardson. Why? Because it's on a DART line, and proves to the nay-Sayers that rail does bring in development. Plus, I think it's in Dallas county, and people can still move to the cool neighborhoods in Dallas, and catch the train to work. It will also boost up parts of northeast Dallas that need redevelopment. Interesting article, but I'm still holding out for something to actually excite me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas