Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2013, 09:10 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,372,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
And DFW is expendable for Houston's purposes. No need to ship the goods up to your fair metro area when we could build more and more distribution centers down here. Besides like the bink said, those empty warehouses create a vacuum that no other city on earth can match. Only in Dallas.
It's not that simple. There are other logistical factors (besides a seaport) that companies consider before developing a distribution center.

How centralized within the region is the city as a distribution base; railroad connections, multiple direction interstate highway access, cargo airport(s) availability, existing manufacturing base.

The above examples are what DFW has over Houston as a preferred distribution site (outside of the petrochemicals industry).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
At the same price? If there was a less expensive way of doing things I have every faith that the powers that be in DFW would quickly avail themselves of those opportunities.

One thing I have learned here on CD about the attitudes of our northern MSA, is that if DFW can cut anybody else out, they will.
Merely hypothetical, Jack. Unless something catastrophic happens to the POH, DFW and Houston will have that connection for years to come.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:54 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
It's not that simple. There are other logistical factors (besides a seaport) that companies consider before developing a distribution center.

How centralized within the region is the city as a distribution base; railroad connections, multiple direction interstate highway access, cargo airport(s) availability, existing manufacturing base.

The above examples are what DFW has over Houston as a preferred distribution site (outside of the petrochemicals industry).

Merely hypothetical, Jack. Unless something catastrophic happens to the POH, DFW and Houston will have that connection for years to come.
I knew you were going to come in with that explanation. I guess you don't know about all the new distribution centers being built around Houston and the city already has good railroad connections. Interstate 69's completion over the next couple decades will open up Houston directly to the Midwest. Dfw will still be the better distribution hub, but Houston will make a dent in that. But then again, if location was everything, Kansas City or St Louis would be larger distribution hubs than DFW.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:11 AM

6,288 posts, read 7,492,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
I knew you were going to come in with that explanation. I guess you don't know about all the new distribution centers being built around Houston and the city already has good railroad connections. Interstate 69's completion over the next couple decades will open up Houston directly to the Midwest. Dfw will still be the better distribution hub, but Houston will make a dent in that.
Houston will become a more attractive distribution center as cities like Beaumont , Lake Charles, San Antonio/Austin, College Station ect continue to grow as they have, and of course DFW being a customer of the Port of Houston doesn't hurt. Even the growth in the Rio Grande Valley via I-69 will help. I think the first leg of I-69 to be completed should be the southern section from Loredo/Valley to Houston where shippers can then connect to I-10 east. This of course would divert traffic from I-35 which I think is one reason Texas is so slow to fund I-69 construction. If it were completed all the way to Canada it would divert a huge amount of traffic off of I-35 bypassing Central and Northern Texas all together. Houstons position on the trade route from Latin America to the U.S. east coast is not being fully taken advantage of at this time

Funding for I-69 should be expedited, politics be darned

Old 08-12-2013, 11:06 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,835,591 times
It would serve Houston no purpose to try to put a dent in DFW logistics. DFW is the undisputed logistic capital of its region. All major rail lines, highways, and airports run through the DFW area. DFW has two class 1 rail lines BNSF and UP. The second largest railroad network in the country BSNF rail is headquartered in Fort Worth. Tower 55 in Fort Worth is the busiest at grade railroad intersection in the country. FedEx Southwest Regional Sort Hub is also located within the Alliance Corridor. Not to mention you got Fort Worth Alliance Airport the world’s 1st 100% industrial airport. DFW did not become the 4th largest metro area in country for nothing. There is a reason why this area continues to attract major industries.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:11 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
It would serve Houston no purpose to try to put a dent in DFW logistics. DFW is the undisputed logistic capital of its region. All major rail lines, highways, and airports run through the DFW area. DFW has two class 1 rail lines BNSF and UP. The second largest railroad network in the country BSNF rail is headquartered in Fort Worth. Tower 55 in Fort Worth is the busiest at grade railroad intersection in the country. FedEx Southwest Regional Sort Hub is also located within the Alliance Corridor. Not to mention you got Fort Worth Alliance Airport the world’s 1st 100% industrial airport. DFW did not become the 4th largest metro area in country for nothing. There is a reason why this area continues to attract major industries.

No purpose? Do you know how many jobs the new distribution centers have and are creating?

just like you Dallasites to claim that creating new jobs serves no purpose. I forgot that for something to have purpose in DFW it had to be over the top like that excessive bridge to nowhere.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:24 AM

328 posts, read 471,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
No purpose? Do you know how many jobs the new distribution centers have and are creating?

just like you Dallasites to claim that creating new jobs serves no purpose. I forgot that for something to have purpose in DFW it had to be over the top like that excessive bridge to nowhere.
You mean this?
Project Near Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge Approved | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Home - Trinity Groves - A Unique Entertainment Destination in Dallas, TX

Every comedian know when it's time to write a new act. It's time for you to start working on some new material. You've been using the same stuff for ages; it's become stale and dated. Not to mention that everyone here has heard it a thousand times.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:47 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,269,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casimpso View Post
You mean this?
Project Near Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge Approved | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Home - Trinity Groves - A Unique Entertainment Destination in Dallas, TX

Every comedian know when it's time to write a new act. It's time for you to start working on some new material. You've been using the same stuff for ages; it's become stale and dated. Not to mention that everyone here has heard it a thousand times.
Why?

Dallas keeps doing the same types of things over and over to get laughed at.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Why?

Dallas keeps doing the same types of things over and over to get laughed at.
It’s going to be a little hard to laugh at Dallas if that development does take place around that bridge. From reading the article it looks like the development has been approved. With all due respect it looks like Dallas will be getting the last laugh. I have been impressed with the swiftness of Dallas developments and approvals. I personally think Dallas has been the most progressive city in the state of Texas since 2010.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:02 PM

6,288 posts, read 7,492,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Houston? I'm talking about whats good for Texas. I-69 will be a economic boon for all Of Texas especially South and East Texas. Why are you so angered over Texas and the U.S. interstate system building a Freeway that has been proposed for decades now. This is what I mean by politics be darned. DFW is using politics to thwart any projects that do not make DFW its center. You are acting like a spoiled child.

BTW When you say all major highways run through DFW are you talking about I-10? I don't think it does run through DFW. lol, Airports? Does IAH run through DFW lol, I don't think so. And this map of "Class 1 Railroads in Texas shows that not all Class 1 lines run through DFW.

You are a bit delusional I'm afraid. Again I-69 should be funded immediately no matter how much the DFW political lobby and Ross Perot objects.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Houston? I'm talking about whats good for Texas. I-69 will be a economic boon for all Of Texas especially South and East Texas. Why are you so angered over Texas and the U.S. interstate system building a Freeway that has been proposed for decades now. This is what I mean by politics be darned. DFW is using politics to thwart any projects that do not make DFW its center. You are acting like a spoiled child.

BTW When you say all major highways run through DFW are you talking about I-10? I don't think it does run through DFW. lol, Airports? Does IAH run through DFW lol, I don't think so. And this map of "Class 1 Railroads in Texas shows that not all Class 1 lines run through DFW.

You are a bit delusional I'm afraid. Again I-69 should be funded immediately no matter how much the DFW political lobby and Ross Perot objects.
I am sure that Dallas, Fort Worth, Austin, and San Antonio would not give a ****terings about the I 69 funding. It does nothing to help their respective cities. The rest of your comments are not even worth responding too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas