Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2014, 01:02 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Every metro has its chains, I don't see how anybody could expect superior dinning in every corner of any metro. When people talk about Houston's food scene they are talking about the High end restaurants like Pass & Provision, Underbelly ect which are owned by Chefs. That's what Nate was talking about in the post I responded to. Nate was asking an open question as to whether this restaurant incubator would propel the Dallas food scene over Houston's as in being a "game changer"(my term). Nate himself stipulated that Houston's restaurant scene was seen as being above that of DFW's. I didn't describe Houston as being the "King" of anything, where did you get that"? It was Nate who used the term "King" to describe some suburb in DFW. I am talking about Houston vs Dallas not worldwide reputation although I hear Houston has a pretty good international reputation for its restaurants.
Yes but those places owned by chefs are found in every city, I thought you were stating that Houston food scene was top notch in the US.
I know he used the king term, didn't mean for it to sound like that.

Misunderstanding.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:01 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Since when? To whom?

Lol and Houston is better?

Don't get me wrong, great places to eat in Houston, hands down, but that's everywhere.
Naturally occurring phenomena, am I missing something? Never once hear about the food in Houston, or it being the king of anything but energy and aerospace. When is Houston not described as a place with chains dominating the landscape? Most people there rave about places like Fogo De Chao, Spaghetti Warehouse, Pappadeaux's, etc.

If your serious that Houston is already a game changer, then ignorance really is bliss.
Spaghetti Warehouse??? Do you even live in Houston? LMAO

Old 04-06-2014, 05:32 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Spaghetti Warehouse??? Do you even live in Houston? LMAO
Frfr. Spaghetti Warehouse is that lazy choice you make if you just so happened to be downtown. I've never heard a Houstonian "rave" about it.

True Houstonians are very proud of our local food culture, but chains are certainly patronized. That's part of the American culture; even in annie's territory.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:54 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Frfr. Spaghetti Warehouse is that lazy choice you make if you just so happened to be downtown. I've never heard a Houstonian "rave" about it.

True Houstonians are very proud of our local food culture, but chains are certainly patronized. That's part of the American culture; even in annie's territory.
I've never been to Houston's Spaghetti warehouse, but I have been to Dallas' a couple of times over the years, mainly because I was already in the West End & it is the original location.

Houston's Spaghetti Warehouse is the 2nd largest & busiest in the chain after Columbus, Ohio. Its also supposedly haunted.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I've never been to Houston's Spaghetti warehouse, but I have been to Dallas' a couple of times over the years, mainly because I was already in the West End & it is the original location.

Houston's Spaghetti Warehouse is the 2nd largest & busiest in the chain after Columbus, Ohio. Its also supposedly haunted.
It's a decent place to get a meal, when you're in the immediate area, but there are so many other better options for a plate of spaghetti in this city.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:17 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:

Yeah, especially the local chains like, idk, Pappadeaux.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:

I would say chains dominate over local places though. It's common in most cities, certainly in my city. Although the food culture itself doesn't seem to be ingrained in regular (non chefs) people.

I've heard Houstonians rave about all kinds of places that I'm just "ehh" about.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I would say chains dominate over local places though. It's common in most cities, certainly in my city. Although the food culture itself doesn't seem to be ingrained in regular (non chefs) people.
Are you talking about Houston or Baton Rouge, here? Our city's food scene is still in the adolescent stages, but it's FAR from being under-appreciated or lacking in local influence. The average Houstonian can definitely give you a list of excellent local establishments to eat in, and if they can't, they most likely haven't been here long. And if we're not eating out at great restaurants, we're likely cooking up some pretty damn good food in our homes, if I may say so myself.

As far as chains dominating local places, well, you would make that statement with such certainty, considering the fact that you aren't quite familiar with the real Houston (no offense), but you aren't absolutely incorrect. As you said, though, the popularity of chains is a common thing. However, if anyone were to suggest that Houstonians would rather eat at chains than real restaurants, they would be flat out wrong.

Quote:
I've heard Houstonians rave about all kinds of places that I'm just "ehh" about.
Well, please return to the city and give us another shot, so we can get that world-certified Louisiana stamp of approval.

To be honest, in all of the American cities I've ever been to, I can honestly say that I've observed few places that love and appreciate great food as much as Houston does.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Are you talking about Houston or Baton Rouge, here? Our city's food scene is still in the adolescent stages, but it's FAR from being under-appreciated or lacking in local influence. The average Houstonian can definitely give you a list of excellent local establishments to eat in, and if they can't, they most likely haven't been here long. And if we're not eating out at great restaurants, we're likely cooking up some pretty damn good food in our homes, if I may say so myself.
I was talking about Houston.
The bold part is what I'm talking about. I didn't meet anyone that knew how to cook well in my 2 years there. Also, Houstonians I know didn't know many great local places to eat at. They always mention chain restaurants, and I'd usually decline. I lived in the west, northwest, Reliant area, and went to Ai (old Uptown campus, new campus is in Greenway) so I would think I met a pretty diverse range of people from Houston(rich, ghetto, black, white, and Mexican citizens).

Quote:
As far as chains dominating local places, well, you would make that statement with such certainty, considering the fact that you aren't quite familiar with the real Houston (no offense), but you aren't absolutely incorrect. As you said, though, the popularity of chains is a common thing. However, if anyone were to suggest that Houstonians would rather eat at chains than real restaurants, they would be flat out wrong.
Not sure I agree with any of this in my experience.

Quote:
Well, please return to the city and give us another shot, so we can get that world-certified Louisiana stamp of approval.
Probably will be there in May or June. Maybe I'll ask around to go eat at some local places.

Quote:
To be honest, in all of the American cities I've ever been to, I can honestly say that I've observed few places that love and appreciate great food as much as Houston does.
Americans aren't really food savy people it seems.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:40 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
A lil eye candy.

Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge Dallas, TX - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas