Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2014, 09:51 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I was talking about Houston.
The bold part is what I'm talking about. I didn't meet anyone that knew how to cook well in my 2 years there. Also, Houstonians I know didn't know many great local places to eat at. They always mention chain restaurants, and I'd usually decline. I lived in the west, northwest, Reliant area, and went to Ai (old Uptown campus, new campus is in Greenway) so I would think I met a pretty diverse range of people from Houston(rich, ghetto, black, white, and Mexican citizens).
And yet you didn't seem to meet any who were an accurate representation of a real Houstonian. Young, college kids are more prone to make quick stops at fast food restaurants. They aren't the best example to use.

How is it you managed to live in three seperate parts of town over the course of two short years?

Quote:
Not sure I agree with any of this in my experience.
Of course you don't. In your world, the sophisticated palates of South Louisiana scoff at the idea of chain food, while us lowly Texans are more than happy with it. Never mind the countless amount of critically acclaimed local burger joints in Houston. We'd rather go get a Big Mac.

Quote:
Probably will be there in May or June. Maybe I'll ask around to go eat at some local places.
I'm not sure why you didn't do that the first time.

Quote:
Americans aren't really food savy people it seems.
Compared to who?

Old 04-06-2014, 10:20 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
And yet you didn't seem to meet any who were an accurate representation of a real Houstonian. Young, college kids are more prone to make quick stops at fast food restaurants. They aren't the best example to use.
Well that is based upon what you consider a real Houstonian. Not everyone I knew were kids, I knew many adults, mostly aged 25-35 that I interacted with.
Quote:
How is it you managed to live in three seperate parts of town over the course of two short years?
"Dorm" and then apartment on Westheimer by Voss, moved out of the complex on Westheimer due to a whole bunch of robberies and thefts (I had three separate incidents alone and my apartment was broken into after I moved out, my old roommate still lived there), went up to Greenspoint area and lived with relatives when I was waiting on my apartment in Reliant.

Quote:
Of course you don't. In your world, the sophisticated palates of South Louisiana scoff at the idea of chain food, while us lowly Texans are more than happy with it. Never mind the countless amount of critically acclaimed local burger joints in Houston. We'd rather go get a Big Mac.
It was my experience, you don't have to get riled up right now. We've had qualms in the past but that's how it was for me. Even in the Baton Rouge area, which is the least Louisiana-esque city in south LA, I know more people who are willing to go a bit out of their way to get local food (maybe because we have two staple cuisines?). People in Baton Rouge visit chains far more than people in Lafayette and New Orleans. The main difference between Houston and Baton Rouge goes for me is in the kitchen at home. People in Houston seem to eat out more, but there are far more options so that's probably a reason as well.

Quote:
I'm not sure why you didn't do that the first time.
Because I'm used to people taking me to Five Guys or something and raving about the "Cajun fries."

Quote:
Compared to who?
No one. Look at the way chain stores dominate the entire country. Even the places like Chipotle, Five Guys, WhichWhich, In-N-Out, etc who try and trick us by making us think what they produce and stand for is anything better than normal fast food corporations.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:21 PM

998 posts, read 1,325,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I've never been to Houston's Spaghetti warehouse, but I have been to Dallas' a couple of times over the years, mainly because I was already in the West End & it is the original location.

Houston's Spaghetti Warehouse is the 2nd largest & busiest in the chain after Columbus, Ohio. Its also supposedly haunted.
The west end spaghetti warehouse always smelled like raw sewage when i used to go. Not sure what that was about.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:27 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
i spent 5 minutes looking for eye candy.. didnt see any? lol, jk. were you talking about the suspension bridge and 5 stack interchange? i guess it wasnt that visually striking because Houston has a bigger suspension bridge (the tallest and longest in the state) and 9 or 10 of those "High 5"s around the city.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Well that is based upon what you consider a real Houstonian. Not everyone I knew were kids, I knew many adults, mostly aged 25-35 that I interacted with.
"Dorm" and then apartment on Westheimer by Voss, moved out of the complex on Westheimer due to a whole bunch of robberies and thefts (I had three separate incidents alone and my apartment was broken into after I moved out, my old roommate still lived there), went up to Greenspoint area and lived with relatives when I was waiting on my apartment in Reliant.

It was my experience, you don't have to get riled up right now. We've had qualms in the past but that's how it was for me. Even in the Baton Rouge area, which is the least Louisiana-esque city in south LA, I know more people who are willing to go a bit out of their way to get local food (maybe because we have two staple cuisines?). People in Baton Rouge visit chains far more than people in Lafayette and New Orleans. The main difference between Houston and Baton Rouge goes for me is in the kitchen at home. People in Houston seem to eat out more, but there are far more options so that's probably a reason as well.

Because I'm used to people taking me to Five Guys or something and raving about the "Cajun fries."

No one. Look at the way chain stores dominate the entire country. Even the places like Chipotle, Five Guys, WhichWhich, In-N-Out, etc who try and trick us by making us think what they produce and stand for is anything better than normal fast food corporations.
Not getting riled up. Just telling it how it is.

It's funny how that works, though. A while back, I remember catching hell for saying that New Orleanians eat fast food. My numerous personal experiences taught me that this was true, but you and others insisted that I didn't know what I was talking about; that the fast food establishments were for "tourists", even though I could go to the Burger King outside Hollygrove and the place would be filled with nothing but locals. Now here we are on the other side of the state line, and you're insisting that most Houstonians, in your experience, prefer fast food. Yes, in a metro of 6 million plus people, where taquerias seem to outnumber the churches, people would rather eat Chipotle. We should agree to just respect each other's view, but whose story do you think most people would have an easier time believing?

I will say this, though. Houston is much more hustle and bustle than any city in Louisiana. We're on the run much more often, so convenient choices in food are just a part of the grind. That doesn't mean we prefer it, though. It may be news to you (as are most things regarding this city, apparently), but Houston is considered one of the best food cities in the nation. How exactly do you think the local scene has been thriving if everyone is eating McDonald's?

Old 04-07-2014, 07:16 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
i spent 5 minutes looking for eye candy.. didnt see any? lol, jk. were you talking about the suspension bridge and 5 stack interchange? i guess it wasnt that visually striking because Houston has a bigger suspension bridge (the tallest and longest in the state) and 9 or 10 of those "High 5"s around the city.
You feel better?

Old 04-07-2014, 08:48 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Not getting riled up. Just telling it how it is.

It's funny how that works, though. A while back, I remember catching hell for saying that New Orleanians eat fast food. My numerous personal experiences taught me that this was true, but you and others insisted that I didn't know what I was talking about; that the fast food establishments were for "tourists", even though I could go to the Burger King outside Hollygrove and the place would be filled with nothing but locals. Now here we are on the other side of the state line, and you're insisting that most Houstonians, in your experience, prefer fast food. Yes, in a metro of 6 million plus people, where taquerias seem to outnumber the churches, people would rather eat Chipotle. We should agree to just respect each other's view, but whose story do you think most people would have an easier time believing?
Well, my argument was agreed with by many people, so they didn't have a hard time believing me. But, touche'.

Quote:
I will say this, though. Houston is much more hustle and bustle than any city in Louisiana. We're on the run much more often, so convenient choices in food are just a part of the grind. That doesn't mean we prefer it, though. It may be news to you (as are most things regarding this city, apparently), but Houston is considered one of the best food cities in the nation. How exactly do you think the local scene has been thriving if everyone is eating McDonald's?
That is news, and it's also news that the local scene has been thriving.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Well, my argument was agreed with by many people, so they didn't have a hard time believing me. But, touche'.

Well, it's like I said. I don't believe you know Houston well enough, which is why I've invited you to come back and get to know us better. And I mean no harm in saying that.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:18 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
You feel better?
about what? i just didnt understand how your video was supposed to be eye candy. if thats eye candy/supposed to make Houston envious or w/e then i guess we should of been posting videos of the Fred Hartman Bridge and road trips around beltway 8, where there are 7 different "High Five" 5-level interchanges alone. the Dallas skyline does look nice at night though..

Old 04-07-2014, 11:43 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
John T. Edge pays another visit to Houston, where he spends a few days eating with the likes of Underbelly's Chris Shepherd and Hugo's chef/owner Hugo Ortega at the restaurants that inspire them. After meals at Pondicheri, Himalaya, Vieng Thai, Asia Market, Blacksmith and Crawfish & Noodles (among others), he decides that "Houston boasts the most dynamic and diverse food and drink scene in the nation." It's strong praise from the national writer who seems to understand better than anyone else what makes the city's dining scene so special and an appropriate follow up to his coinage last year of the term "Mutt City" to describe Houston's dining scene.

Houston Has 'The Most Dynamic and Diverse Food and Drink Scene in the Nation' - Food Media - Eater Houston

Maybe you should try one of the above named places and maybe you will have more respect for the local Restaurant scene...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas