Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2014, 05:23 PM

17 posts, read 39,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayStokes View Post
DFW has also been neglected by TXDOT for years and has only in the past few years begun expanding their freeway system. As you probably already know they're all still under construction.

The truth is that Houston and DFW both have some of the worst traffic in the entire country. Both areas don't put enough thought or money into public transport. There's hardly anything efficient about either place, and all the freeway lanes in the world are not going to cut down on traffic so long as both cities continue their endless sprawl.
But both cities are major distribution centers. When you have lots of warehouses, industries, and business districts, you need the sprawl of housing for both white and blue collar workers.

Houston doesn't have lots of suburban cities that zone, but it does have unincorporated planned communities. These communities are built mainly for the upper management who don't want to live with the kinds of people they employ (as humorous as that might sound). Or, let me ask you. When the day comes for The Woodlands to become its own legitimate city apart from Houston, will it decide to incorporate city planning by adopting zoning? If not, the city would be going against the original intentions of the planned community which were meant to keep it exclusive.

Warehouse districts themselves just take up a lot of space. Once they get built, then other industries move in. Then communities not only have to be built, but they have to be distanced apart enough to separate the different classes of people.

Wealthy people are always dreadfully afraid of having an apartment complex built too close by as it might lower the property values of their houses. One can see how this need to separate people into classes is a major but necessary contributor of sprawl.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:51 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
My place of work.........oh....and a Lil eye candy.

DALLAS SKYLINE - YouTube
i was trying to figure out whats up with all the burnt out section of LED but then i realized this was video from the failed opening ceremony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the Post Hole Digger View Post
Warehouse districts themselves just take up a lot of space.
ive always wondered why they dont stack warehouses and build ramps/elevated decks for trucks to drive up to the higher levels.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:27 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Aww cut annie_himself some slack.
You see that huh lol

Old 04-08-2014, 11:17 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,451,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
i was trying to figure out whats up with all the burnt out section of LED but then i realized this was video from the failed opening ceremony.

ive always wondered why they dont stack warehouses and build ramps/elevated decks for trucks to drive up to the higher levels.
None of the bulbs were burnt out in that video...The few that burned out burned out shortly after the presentation.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:25 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Aww cut annie_himself some slack.
I'm not being hard on him.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:08 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,271,469 times
No one is hard on annie_himself. Annie_himself is hard on Houston.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:48 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,790,052 times
Since we're discussing Dallas lighting, I thought I would share this which I found pretty cool when Conan came to town. I just find it nice that the skyline can synchronize any event without much effort and cost to change bulbs and whatnot.

Mike Brooks - TEAMCOCO
The CONAN-Themed Dallas Skyline Reflected In The Trinity River @ TeamCoco.com

Old 04-09-2014, 04:37 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
None of the bulbs were burnt out in that video...The few that burned out burned out shortly after the presentation.
You sure about that? Watch it in full screen and tell me there aren't at least half a dozen sections burnt out... Unless they were purposely skipping the same small tracts of lighting over and over again..?

Old 04-09-2014, 07:13 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,271,469 times
I'm so jealous of the Dallas skyline at night. It looks like a show on stage.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:34 PM

6,291 posts, read 7,498,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
I'm so jealous of the Dallas skyline at night. It looks like a show on stage.
That is just plain pathetic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas