Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2007, 08:59 PM

20,501 posts, read 33,335,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
So why even bother mentioning it when you know that I could care less about metros?
WHat are you talking about? You asked a question, and I answered it and I was discussing metro numbers in my post..

Old 12-27-2007, 09:17 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,132,069 times
I am not going to discuss "cosmopolitan" any more. I still say that based on the parts of Dallas and Houston in which I have been, Dallas seems more like a "world" city to me than Houston. Just perception based on personal feelings. I am pleased for others to feel differently. I am sorry that you are having trouble accepting my perception. Perceptions are personal and should not be attacked, in my opinion. And, no, I don't need a definition of perceptions and a statement that they are provable by stats and charts and are not opinions. Thanks.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:52 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,387,279 times
^^No one is bashing your opinion. I just think Houston feels like the bigger city when driving around, and as more world industries than Dallas has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sogod View Post
Downtown Dallas has less office space than Houston. I mean, it should be that way, seeing as we have DT FW as another core for the area not too far away. DT Houston has roughly 50% more office space than DT Dallas in both the reports you linked to and the ones I did. But as you can see in the reports I linked, class A space between the DT Dallas and Houston is not that different. And its almost the same if you include Uptown Dallas across the freeway.
"Because we have Fort Worth as another core"? That's a real low excuse. I guess Houston has the Energy Corridor as another core (seeing as it has double the amount of office space as DT Fort Worth). Even if you add DT Fort Worth, DT Houston has more office space.

Last edited by Guerilla; 12-27-2007 at 10:09 PM..

Old 12-27-2007, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Don't you think Dallas has the same thing with the tech industry in Richardson, Plano, and Las Colinas?
Of course it does (except for astronauts), but it does not have as much as Houston. With the Port, Texas Medical Center, Energy companies, and NASA, Houston has more. Houston actually has a really strong IT industry.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:29 PM

20,501 posts, read 33,335,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Of course it does (except for astronauts), but it does not have as much as Houston. With the Port, Texas Medical Center, Energy companies, and NASA, Houston has more. Houston actually has a really strong IT industry.
Yes but not nearly as strong as Dallas in the IT field. Dallas is seen as a major city in the IT field. Both cities economies are becoming diverse so we're going to go back and forth. Dallas financially has been a hub for this region and while Houston does have a stronger seaport. Dallas has the larger airport. Both are ports.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yes but not nearly as strong as Dallas in the IT field. Dallas is seen as a major city in the IT field. Both cities economies are becoming diverse so we're going to go back and forth. Dallas financially has been a hub for this region and while Houston does have a stronger seaport. Dallas has the larger airport. Both are ports.
Yeah, but Houston has a strong airport, too, that is growing faster than DFW. The advantage Houston has is that it is on a large body of water, unlike Dallas. And I never said that Houston is as strong as Dallas in the IT Field, because it isn't.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:14 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,544,751 times
Quote:
So Houston "belongs to all the world", but Dallas doesn't. You are honestly telling me you think that is a fact and not an opinion?
Houston is the world city in Texas. It has immense diversity that surpasses all but two cities in the U.S. It's much more of a sample product of the entire world. Much more so than Dallas is.

It's also a first string city. It's the Energy Capital of the World. Houston is a leader in economy. What is Dallas the capital of? What economy is Dallas viewed as number one in?

Old 12-28-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Houston is the world city in Texas. It has immense diversity that surpasses all but two cities in the U.S. It's much more of a sample product of the entire world. Much more so than Dallas is.
I don't think anyone will argue this. Even IAH has more international passengers than DFW.

Even Foreign Consulates:

New York- 122
Los Angeles - 87
Houston-86
Chicago- 73

Dallas- 30

Old 12-28-2007, 11:17 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,544,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
WHat are you talking about? You asked a question, and I answered it and I was discussing metro numbers in my post..
What I'm saying is that you should know by now that when I'm talking about cities, I don't discuss statistics regarding metros.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:47 AM

26 posts, read 148,811 times
Quote:
So basically, what you are saying is cosmopolitan = diversity? Well, then if I can make a suggestion, just say "diverse" rather than "cosmopolitan".

And besides, how do you figure Houston is significantly more diverse than Dallas? Are there that many ethnic groups in Houston that aren't represented in Dallas?

Last edited by sogod; 12-28-2007 at 12:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas