Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2014, 04:08 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,531,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
That's just silly. Just because we annexed a bunch of suburban and semi-rural areas, while Dallas didn't, doesn't mean it isn't a balanced comparison. Houston is more centralized, yes, but the two cities are very much on level playing field.
I agree some of it is because we annexed like crazy while Dallas was trapped in, but are Cowboys stadium, Rangers stadium, Six flags over Texas, the stock yards, the Kimbell, Texas Motor Speedway, or the new trinity river project in Dallas? No. There is an entirely separate city almost as big as Dallas, vying for the same local attractions. There are like 12 cities over 100,000 people in DFW besides Dallas. In Houston there is only one other, Pasadena. Not much to compete with..

Old 04-23-2014, 04:16 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,789,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
I agree some of it is because we annexed like crazy while Dallas was trapped in, but are Cowboys stadium, Rangers stadium, Six flags over Texas, the stock yards, the Kimbell, Texas Motor Speedway, or the new trinity river project in Dallas? No. There is an entirely separate city almost as big as Dallas, vying for the local attractions. There are like 12 cities over 100,000 people in DFW besides Dallas. In Houston there is only one other, Pasadena. Not much to compete with..
To be fair, Dallas does have its share of attractions within Dallas and they also have their own Trinity River project as well.

I'd take OUR Trinity River project over the one in Dallas any day, but it's still a good plan for a city of their size.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:38 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,861,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
That's just silly. Just because we annexed a bunch of suburban and semi-rural areas, while Dallas didn't, doesn't mean it isn't a balanced comparison. Houston is more centralized, yes, but the two cities are very much on level playing field.
Not really.

Houston is the 4th largest city. Dallas is the 9th largest city. HUGE difference.

Metro area is a more fair comparison since its only off by > 500k people.

D/FW is 4th largest MSA while Houston is 5th.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:05 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,531,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
To be fair, Dallas does have its share of attractions within Dallas and they also have their own Trinity River project as well.

I'd take OUR Trinity River project over the one in Dallas any day, but it's still a good plan for a city of their size.
Yeah, that's why I gave Dallas the benefit of the doubt and said they may have up to 2/3rds of the metros attractions.

The Dallas trinity River project is a joke. Three 20 acre ponds in some green flood ways? Ft Worths trinity project is far superior and I hope it sees the light of day. It would be a huge boon for ft worth.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:10 PM

6,620 posts, read 9,836,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Not really.

Houston is the 4th largest city. Dallas is the 9th largest city. HUGE difference.

Metro area is a more fair comparison since its only off by > 500k people.

D/FW is 4th largest MSA while Houston is 5th.
Population has nothing to do with it.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:11 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,387,254 times
Quote:
I agree some of it is because we annexed like crazy while Dallas was trapped in, but are Cowboys stadium, Rangers stadium, Six flags over Texas, the stock yards, the Kimbell, Texas Motor Speedway, or the new trinity river project in Dallas? No. There is an entirely separate city almost as big as Dallas, vying for the same local attractions. There are like 12 cities over 100,000 people in DFW besides Dallas. In Houston there is only one other, Pasadena. Not much to compete with..
100,000 people is just a regular suburb in Dallas...Houston gobbled theirs up...thats why they dont exist down there. Our subburbs grow big because of being so close to Dallas. Six Flags is 20 min away. Yes everything is IN Houston down there but that doesnt stop the hour drive to get to anything you want to go to.
* The Beach
* The "REAL" aquarium
* NASA
* Galveston Schlitterbaun(the only real watertpark)
* Pleasure Pier(the only Amusement park)
Are all outside of Houston.....whats in Houston thats a national draw?
*Museums?????

Old 04-23-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Population has nothing to do with it.
Its part of it.

Houston is an international city. Dallas is a regional city.

Just compare the number of foreign embassies for both cities if you don't believe me. Houston walks all over Dallas.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:21 PM

6,620 posts, read 9,836,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Its part of it.

Houston is an international city. Dallas is a regional city.

Just compare the number of foreign embassies for both cities if you don't believe me. Houston walks all over Dallas.
You're delusional. Dallas has the same things (or more) than Houston does.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
You're delusional. Dallas has the same things (or more) than Houston does.
Like what...care to elaborate?

Houston has lakes so does Dallas.

Houston has an ocean Dallas doesn't.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:31 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,387,254 times
Quote:
Yeah, that's why I gave Dallas the benefit of the doubt and said they may have up to 2/3rds of the metros attractions.

The Dallas trinity River project is a joke. Three 20 acre ponds in some green flood ways? Ft Worths trinity project is far superior and I hope it sees the light of day. It would be a huge boon for ft worth.
Says Who????...The Dallas project is not even finished yet...You are just harping on one drawback of the entire project and writing it off....You just hate for no reason...You know nothing about the Dallas trinity river project....You just have your eyes closed and fingers crossed hoping for it to be a joke so you can say FT.Worths is better......The amenities alone in the Dallas plan is already way better than Ft.Worths. Theirs is so much smaller as a whole that even with 3 small startrer lakes in Dallas' plan(with wonderful bridges ) still make it better than Ft.Worths...........and the creek in Downtown Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas