Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2014, 01:40 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times

Advertisements

Now THIS is a very good sign illustrating where downtown Dallas is headed!!...
Exclusive: Longtime vacant downtown tower gets its first office tenants in two decades - Dallas Business Journal)
Quote:
Along with the three office tenants, Turkish developer Mike Sarimsakci told the Dallas Business Journal in an exclusive interview that he has landed a retail tenant for the ground floor of the 18-story tower.

The retailer -- a furniture concept out of Turkey called Koleksiyon -- will set up shop in 3,750 square feet on the ground level of 211 N. Ervay, as well as 5,000 square feet of basement space within the tower at the corner of Pacific and Ervay streets. This will be the retailer's first location in the United States.
THE FIRST IN THE U.S

Last edited by dallasboi; 05-07-2014 at 01:59 AM..

Old 05-07-2014, 05:01 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,671 times
thats great news, but its hard to brag about anything in that article when the opening line is this...
"One of downtown Dallas' longtime vacant office towers -- empty for nearly two decades"

seriously.. you guys have had an office tower sitting empty for almost 20 years?! i knew downtown Dallas' office vacancy was bad, but i didnt realize it was that bad..

and by the way.. when i was skimming Houston Business Journal i noticed these articles, showing where Houston is headed..

Tiger Woods to design Beacon Land Development's Bluejack National golf course near Houston - Houston Business Journal

"...the Bluejack National course will be the first golf course designed by Tiger Woods to open in the U.S."

THE FIRST IN THE US

as for retailers.. heres a recent "FIRST IN THE US" for Houston.

Lily Rain opens first U.S. store in Houston's Rice Village - Houston Business Journal

Old 05-07-2014, 08:46 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,376,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
thats great news, but its hard to brag about anything in that article when the opening line is this...
"One of downtown Dallas' longtime vacant office towers -- empty for nearly two decades"

seriously.. you guys have had an office tower sitting empty for almost 20 years?! i knew downtown Dallas' office vacancy was bad, but i didnt realize it was that bad..

Quote:
Vacant 25-Years, Historic Houston Building to Become High-Rise Apartments - High Rise Facilities

The historic Texaco office building located at 1111 Rusk in Houston, sat vacant for a quarter of century before Dallas-based Provident Realty Advisors acquired the downtown property from Kimberly-Clark last week. They had the 16-story building under contract since late 2011 for $16.4-million and have announced plans to begin renovations within a month.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:48 AM

568 posts, read 901,601 times
Not to mention Houston just demolished a building that has been vacant a few decades.

Last edited by xsatyr; 05-07-2014 at 09:00 AM..

Old 05-07-2014, 09:44 AM

ah.. forgot about the Texaco building redevelopment since that will soon be residential. so even with the Texaco Building being empty, Houstons downtown office vacancy rate was 6.1 percent..

Dallas' downtown vacancy rate is around THIRTY percent.

http://www.dallasnews.com/incoming/2...as_Skyline.jpg

one city is still scrambling to convert empty office buildings over to residential, while the other city is scrambling to add more office buildings AND new residential towers. you tell me which scenario is better..

Old 05-07-2014, 09:58 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,790,281 times
Quote:
ah.. forgot about the Texaco building redevelopment since that will soon be residential. so even with the Texaco Building being empty, Houstons downtown office vacancy rate was 6.1 percent..

Dallas' downtown vacancy rate is around THIRTY percent.

http://www.dallasnews.com/incoming/2...as_Skyline.jpg

one city is still scrambling to convert empty office buildings over to residential, while the other city is scrambling to add more office buildings AND new residential towers. you tell me which scenario is better..
The one with the most residents and activity.
JK, In reality it all depends on what you want from a downtown. In my opinion a downtown should be the epicenter of a metro. It should be the busiest part with activity going on at all times. It should be a mixed-use downtown for it to be self sustainable and healthy. It should have everything from Residential, Entertainment, Retail and business. If you only have residents, downtown will be empty during the day, have only office buildings and and it will only be busy during working hours.

Last edited by dollaztx; 05-07-2014 at 10:12 AM..

Old 05-07-2014, 10:15 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,376,095 times
What I want from a downtown has most of what dollaztx described, but also with easy connectivity to adjacent areas of the city. DT Dallas offers that, DT Houston is an island surrounded by a moat of freeways.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post
What I want from a downtown has most of what dollaztx described, but also with easy connectivity to adjacent areas of the city. DT Dallas offers that, DT Houston is an island surrounded by a moat of freeways.
Psh.. downtown Dallas is in the exact same boat except for a couple blocks at Klyde Warren.. All other 350 or so degrees it's cut off by a moat of freeways.. So downtown Dallas is a penensula, with a very tiny connection to the main land. And I wasn't aware you couldn't simply walk/drive/take the train under that "moat" of freeways around downtown Houston..

Oh, and by the way.. Downtown Dallas is far from the epicenter of the DFW metro.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:15 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Quote:
Psh.. downtown Dallas is in the exact same boat except for a couple blocks at Klyde Warren.. All other 350 or so degrees it's cut off by a moat of freeways.. So downtown Dallas is a penensula, with a very tiny connection to the main land. And I wasn't aware you couldn't simply walk/drive/take the train under that "moat" of freeways around downtown Houston..

Oh, and by the way.. Downtown Dallas is far from the epicenter of the DFW metro.
Of course not...We have two main cities up here(something Houstonians Hate to admit that they want)....But Dallas IS the center of Dallas County......which is.....you know....75-80% of the metro.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Of course not...We have two main cities up here(something Houstonians Hate to admit that they want)....But Dallas IS the center of Dallas County......which is.....you know....75-80% of the metro.
now please tell me why exactly Houstonians would want two main cities? seems to me like you end up with two watered down mediocre amenities spread apart on either side of the metro instead of one world class amenity in the center of the metro.

and he didnt say center of Dallas county, or "the majority of the metro".. he said the entire metro. as much as you guys would like to claim the entire metro, part of it does belong to Ft Worth you know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas