Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2014, 06:17 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,869,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Well Houstonians secretly claim Galvestons stuff to feel like they have another major city in the same metro like Dallas and Ft.Worth....of course they will never admit it .
Who ever said Galveston was a major city? Its Houston's playground & miniature New Orleans.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:04 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,533,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Well Houstonians secretly claim Galvestons stuff to feel like they have another major city in the same metro like Dallas and Ft.Worth....of course they will never admit it .
LMAO. last i checked Galveston was in the metro.. no, that doesnt mean were claiming their amenities because we "secretly wish we had another major city in the metro".. thats ridiculous. please tell me why having two "major" cities is better than one? as we have already pointed out, there are many advantages to having one centralized metro, instead of two spread out cities. all one has to do is look at the mediocre Dallas Museum of Arts, the mediocre Dallas Zoo, the mediocre Dallas Arboretum & Botanical Garden, or the lack of most professional sports stadiums near Dallas proper to realize that having two large cities on opposite sides of the metro, vying for the same attractions, is not better than having one centralized metro.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:54 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,243,040 times
The attractions in Dallas are hardly mediocre. Let's not get crazy.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
The attractions in Dallas are hardly mediocre. Let's not get crazy.
they are decent, but you cant deny they would be better if they were combined with their similar counterparts in Ft Worth as one singular attraction.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:16 PM

420 posts, read 701,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
LMAO. last i checked Galveston was in the metro.. no, that doesnt mean were claiming their amenities because we "secretly wish we had another major city in the metro".. thats ridiculous. please tell me why having two "major" cities is better than one? as we have already pointed out, there are many advantages to having one centralized metro, instead of two spread out cities. all one has to do is look at the mediocre Dallas Museum of Arts, the mediocre Dallas Zoo, the mediocre Dallas Arboretum & Botanical Garden, or the lack of most professional sports stadiums near Dallas proper to realize that having two large cities on opposite sides of the metro, vying for the same attractions, is not better than having one centralized metro.

Once again, another Houston homer wastes no time in showing that he has never visited Dallas and has no knowledge on the city or metroplex.

And this is really why these Houston vs. Dallas debates suck. 9 times out of 10, on both sides of the argument, the people participating have never truly experienced the other city. It's so incredibly obvious that it's laughable.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:50 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,773,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayStokes View Post
Once again, another Houston homer wastes no time in showing that he has never visited Dallas and has no knowledge on the city or metroplex.

And this is really why these Houston vs. Dallas debates suck. 9 times out of 10, on both sides of the argument, the people participating have never truly experienced the other city. It's so incredibly obvious that it's laughable.
That's something I've learned over time.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:26 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,243,040 times
Quote:
they are decent, but you cant deny they would be better if they were combined with their similar counterparts in Ft Worth as one singular attraction.
Actually I think having more options is viewed as a plus not a downfall around here.

I think the Dallas Arboretum is one of the best I've ever seen. The Dallas Zoo is improving rapidly being a private entity. The Dallas Farmer's Market is completely changing for the better since it's gone private, the Dallas Arts District is still growing into itself, but still impressive. The museums at Fair Park and the arts in the Design District create an overall vibrant arts scene in Dallas. The nearby collections in Ft Worth are an added bonus.

I don't think what Dallas offers would be considered mediocre by many people.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:16 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,796,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
I'd imagine most people from Ft. Worth would prefer if Ft. Worth had more of Dallas' amenities without actually having to go to Dallas.
We usually don't.

I can count on one hand the number of times I go to Dallas each year, and I really don't need that many fingers. And there are SEVERAL Fort Worthians who will say the same.

All we're really missing is an adequate, modern arena and light rail.... that's it.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
We usually don't.

I can count on one hand the number of times I go to Dallas each year, and I really don't need that many fingers. And there are SEVERAL Fort Worthians who will say the same.

All we're really missing is an adequate, modern arena and light rail.... that's it.
THIS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayStokes View Post

all i was saying was this..

Quote:
...you cant deny they would be better if they were combined with their similar counterparts in Ft Worth as one singular attraction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Actually I think having more options is viewed as a plus not a downfall around here.

I think the Dallas Arboretum is one of the best I've ever seen. The Dallas Zoo is improving rapidly being a private entity. The Dallas Farmer's Market is completely changing for the better since it's gone private, the Dallas Arts District is still growing into itself, but still impressive. The museums at Fair Park and the arts in the Design District create an overall vibrant arts scene in Dallas. The nearby collections in Ft Worth are an added bonus.

I don't think what Dallas offers would be considered mediocre by many people.
i guess you are right about that last part.. but when you are used to world class amenities, they dont compare.

Houstons Museum of Fine Arts
62,000 works of art. the largest and most diverse art collection in the southwestern US.
Museum of Fine Arts, Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dallas Museum of Art
22,000 works of art.
Art | Dallas Museum of Art

Dallas Arboretum & Botanical Gardens
66 acres

Houstons Mercer Arboretum & Botanical Gardens
300 acres

Houston Zoo
2+ million people in 2012

Dallas Zoo
916,000 people in 2013

tell me again how having two (arguably half ***ed) amenities is better than one world class amenity? sure its convenient for the people of Ft Worth, but for the people of Dallas, Ft Worth is robbing you of what would be your attractions if you were in your own metro. why would Houston want that?

Old 05-09-2014, 12:43 AM

http://www.downtownhouston.org/site_..._Map_11x17.pdf

over 3,600 apartments U/C or planned to start construction this year in downtown Houston. pretty impressive for downtown Houston if i do say so, considering they are more than doubling the local population (tripling it, by the time all of the 5,000 residential unit incentives are claimed by 2016).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas