Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2014, 11:59 PM

213 posts, read 388,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
THIS.

all i was saying was this..

i guess you are right about that last part.. but when you are used to world class amenities, they dont compare.

Houstons Museum of Fine Arts
62,000 works of art. the largest and most diverse art collection in the southwestern US.
Museum of Fine Arts, Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dallas Museum of Art
22,000 works of art.
Art | Dallas Museum of Art

Dallas Arboretum & Botanical Gardens
66 acres

Houstons Mercer Arboretum & Botanical Gardens
300 acres

Houston Zoo
2+ million people in 2012

Dallas Zoo
916,000 people in 2013

tell me again how having two (arguably half ***ed) amenities is better than one world class amenity? sure its convenient for the people of Ft Worth, but for the people of Dallas, Ft Worth is robbing you of what would be your attractions if you were in your own metro. why would Houston want that?
I guess this is eternal.

I love Houston's art scene and lush foliage, but even Houston knows that Dallas has a better Arboretum. It maybe one of the best in the country with it fast becoming a major tourist attraction.

A few philanthropists in Houston are pushing to enhance their botanical gardens

Old 05-09-2014, 06:05 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,447,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
We usually don't.

I can count on one hand the number of times I go to Dallas each year, and I really don't need that many fingers. And there are SEVERAL Fort Worthians who will say the same.

All we're really missing is an adequate, modern arena and light rail.... that's it.
Ok....The ONE city of Houston is just a couple miles smaller than the ENTIRE dfw metroplex (two major cities and their suburbs)...So if Ft.Worthians say they dont come to dallas already what makes you think they would if ft worth was a neighborhood in a humongous super super sprawled out version of Dallas?!?.....y'all wouldnt!....The same reason Houstonians just " claim" to frequently go to galveston just to be similar to traffic patterns between D and FW.... but Houstonians really never go there but once a year.......just like dallasites that visit galveston.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:10 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,410,310 times
Default Thanks for clarifying this for us TexasTallest

Quote:
THIS.

i guess you are right about that last part.. but when you are used to world class amenities, they dont compare.

62,000 works of art. the largest and most diverse art collection in the southwestern US.

Dallas Museum of Art
22,000 works of art.

66 acres

300 acres

Houston Zoo

Dallas Zoo
916,000 people in 2013

tell me again how having two (arguably half ***ed) amenities is better than one world class amenity? sure its convenient for the people of Ft Worth, but for the people of Dallas, Ft Worth is robbing you of what would be your attractions if you were in your own metro. why would Houston want that?
So it looks like Houston has a bit more to offer than Dallas does. I wonder why we always hear so much noise about Dallas then? You know glitz and glamour and the Dallitude. Do any of these things have any merit?

Old 05-09-2014, 10:31 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,561,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostOak5115 View Post
I guess this is eternal.

I love Houston's art scene and lush foliage, but even Houston knows that Dallas has a better Arboretum. It maybe one of the best in the country with it fast becoming a major tourist attraction.

A few philanthropists in Houston are pushing to enhance their botanical gardens
Not sure I agree, but sticking to the point that Ft Worth is draining away Dallas' amenities, the Ft Worth botanical gardens are too notch from what I hear (better than Dallas'), so again, Dallas would be better off if it were the only major city in the metro.

Yeah I hope they figure out something for a new botanical garden in Houston. The mercer is a ways outside of the city.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:22 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,788,977 times
Quote:
THIS.

Dallas Museum of Art
22,000 works of art.

66 acres

300 acres

Houston Zoo

Dallas Zoo
916,000 people in 2013

Your arguing that one major city is better than having two. Yet when comparing your not including Ft Worth. Ft Worth has a nice art museum, zoo, and botanical garden as well.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
So it looks like Houston has a bit more to offer than Dallas does. I wonder why we always hear so much noise about Dallas then? You know glitz and glamour and the Dallitude. Do any of these things have any merit?
Your really basing your assumptions that Dallas has less things to offer than Houston from one response from a Houston homer? Trust me, there are many more things in Dallas as there are more in Houston as well.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
Your arguing that one major city is better than having two. Yet when comparing your not including Ft Worth. Ft Worth has a nice art museum, zoo, and botanical garden as well.
why should i include Ft Worth.. this is the Houston vs DALLAS thread..?
Metrowise yes they come out close to even. but city wise, Houston blows Dallas out of the water. would you rather be able to see/experience everything in one trip, or have to make two separate trips to opposite sides of the metro to get the full experience that you could of gotten at one stop in Houston?

Old 05-09-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
why should i include Ft Worth.. this is the Houston vs DALLAS thread..?
Metrowise yes they come out close to even. but city wise, Houston blows Dallas out of the water. would you rather be able to see/experience everything in one trip, or have to make two separate trips to opposite sides of the metro to get the full experience that you could of gotten at one stop in Houston?
Because your the one making the case that having 1 is better then having 2.

It's like me claiming that Dallas is better than both OKC and Denver and then I compare Dallas amenities to just OKC's. Does that make sense?

Old 05-09-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
Because your the one making the case that having 1 is better then having 2.

It's like me claiming that Dallas is better than both OKC and Denver and then I compare Dallas amenities to just OKC's. Does that make sense?
but one is arguably better than two..? ive already listed a number of reasons why...

and no. that doesnt make sense. if you said Dallas compared to Minneapolis/St Paul, and only compared it to Minneapolis' amenities, then yes. that makes sense.. but we are on a CITY data forum, comparing two CITIES. not metros.
if the metro was centered around one city and not with two cities on opposite sides, the amenities would be in the center of the metro for all to enjoy (within a short driving distance), and be full scale world class amenities, not half of an amenity, while the other half is on the other side of the metro. you see what im saying?

Old 05-09-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
but one is arguably better than two..? ive already listed a number of reasons why...

and no. that doesnt make sense. if you said Dallas compared to Minneapolis/St Paul, and only compared it to Minneapolis' amenities, then yes. that makes sense.. but we are on a CITY data forum, comparing two CITIES. not metros.
if the metro was centered around one city and not with two cities on opposite sides, the amenities would be in the center of the metro for all to enjoy (within a short driving distance), and be full scale world class amenities, not half of an amenity, while the other half is on the other side of the metro. you see what im saying?
Yes you're right, this is a city vs city thread (Houston vs Dallas). However you brought up a claim on a post (that Houston's amenities are superior to Fort Worth's and Dallas). You brought up Fort Worth, yet when making the comparison as to why you only choose to compare it to Dallas amenities. If your going to make a case make a fair analysis without picking and choosing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas