U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2014, 02:20 AM

12,551 posts, read 19,211,250 times

Advertisements

Sooooooo, what about Houston's total condo/apartment units? lol Dallas is beating y'all!
Rate this post positively

Old 05-29-2014, 02:27 AM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,516,353 times
NEW residential Walk Scores:

Lone Star Gas Lofts: 100 "Walker's paradise"
One Dallas Center: 100 "Walker's paradise"
LTV Tower: 98 "Walker's paradise"
1401 Elm: 98 "Walker's paradise"
Elm St Lofts: 98 "Walker's paradise"
Museum Tower: 95 "Walker's paradise"
Statler Hilton: 95 "Walker's paradise"
Fairfield at Ross: 95 "Walker's paradise"
2121 Flora: 95 "Walker's paradise"
2500 McKinney: 92 "Walker's paradise"
McKinney/Routh Tower: 92 "Walker's paradise"
Skyhouse: 91 "Walker's paradise"
Ritz-Carlton Residenes: 91 "Walker's paradise"

Bleu Ciel: 89 "Very walkable"
Azure: 89 "Very walkable"
Stoneleigh Residences: 89 "Very walkable"
Routhe Street Flats: 86 "Very walkable"
2355 Thomas: 86 "Very walkable"
Katy Trail Tower: 86 "Very walkable"
Maple at Butler: 86 "Very walkable"
Cantabria: 85 "Very walkable"
3700M: 85 "Very walkable"
Akard Place: 85 "Very walkable"
Moda: 85 "Very walkable"
City Lights: 85 "Very walkable"
500 S Ervay: 85 "Very walkable"
Aura Medical District: 85 "Very walkable"
Alta Maple Station: 85 "Very walkable"
Highland Tower: 82 "Very walkable"

Old 05-29-2014, 03:12 AM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,516,353 times
Houston, we have another problem. Your urban core ISN'T walkable!
Neither is that uber-dense TMC.
Dallas' Farmer's Market is more walkable than Houston's most walkable neighborhood, Midtown.
People in Dallas can walk to an average of 0.9 restaurants, bars and coffee shops in 5 minutes.
People in Houston can walk to an average of 0.5 restaurants, bars and coffee shops in 5 minutes.

Walk Score/Transit Score

Top five Dallas urban core neighborhood averages-82/70
Top five Houston urban core neighborhood averages-70/69

Dallas

Main Street District-97/87
Government District-95/87
City Center District-90/84
Farmer's Market-82/77
Oak Lawn-76/57
M Streets-71-50
Oak Cliff-62/50

Houston

Midtown-81/82
Montrose-79/53
Downtown-77/88
Museum District-71/63
Fourth Ward-70/78
University Place-66/59
TMC-49/61

Old 05-29-2014, 08:52 AM

3,863 posts, read 4,235,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post

Dallas' Farmer's Market is more walkable than Houston's most walkable neighborhood, Midtown.
People in Dallas can walk to an average of 0.9 restaurants, bars and coffee shops in 5 minutes.
People in Houston can walk to an average of 0.5 restaurants, bars and coffee shops in 5 minutes.

Walk Score/Transit Score

Dallas

Farmer's Market-82/77
Oak Lawn-76/57
M Streets-71-50
Oak Cliff-62/50

Houston

Midtown-81/82
Montrose-79/53
Downtown-77/88
Museum District-71/63
Fourth Ward-70/78
University Place-66/59
TMC-49/61
You love Fluff

Neither city is a "walkers paradise"

Old 05-29-2014, 10:35 AM

12,510 posts, read 24,214,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayStokes View Post
As Dallasboi pointed out, you didn't even read the article. The bridge costed nowhere near $798 million. That is the estimate for all the bridges they plan on building, including pedestrian/bike bridges, and repair work for I-30 and I-35. So you were actually only off by about $900 million on what the bridge actually cost to build. Good job, Matt.

And it's called an investment to the future. What you call a $500 "scrap" of a neighborhood has already started turning around with lots of new business and will be gentrified into a neighborhood that will be desirable in the near future. I guess Dallas didn't have to build anything to try and inspire growth south of downtown. It sure hurts the narrative of detractors that proclaim "Dallas doesn't care about anybody south of I-30!!!"
That's fine & dandy, but where's the water? I suppose after that nice little rain we had surely your dried up creek bed has some water in it albeit temporarily.

How are you not going to include the infrastructure (freeway reconstruction, bike paths, managed lanes, maintenance costs, etc.) in the final cost it takes to build those bridges when that's the most vital thing? How else are cars going to get on those so called bridges from the major arteries surrounding downtown? You can't just build a bridge & call it a day its a little more complicated than that if you know anything about construction work & engineering. I guess until we have hoover cars this won't be an issue, but for now it is.

Another big duhr, duhr, duhr from Raystokes.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:30 AM

4,665 posts, read 5,960,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
That's fine & dandy, but where's the water? I suppose after that nice little rain we had surely your dried up creek bed has some water in it albeit temporarily.

How are you not going to include the infrastructure (freeway reconstruction, bike paths, managed lanes, maintenance costs, etc.) in the final cost it takes to build those bridges when that's the most vital thing? How else are cars going to get on those so called bridges from the major arteries surrounding downtown? You can't just build a bridge & call it a day its a little more complicated than that if you know anything about construction work & engineering. I guess until we have hoover cars this won't be an issue, but for now it is.

Another big duhr, duhr, duhr from Raystokes.
............Just shut up

Old 05-29-2014, 11:50 AM

3,222 posts, read 3,965,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Sooooooo, what about Houston's total condo/apartment units? lol Dallas is beating y'all!
seriously..? doesnt Dallas lead the NATION in apartment construction? Houston was right up there in the top 5, if im not mistaken, but obviously Dallas is beating Houston in apartments...
congrats on DFW beating Houston at something.. doesnt mean Dallas is better.

where is Dallas' list of ONE HUNDRED AND SEVENTEEN high-rises planned for the city? oh yeah.. didnt think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post

Walk Score/Transit Score

Dallas

Farmer's Market-82/77
Oak Lawn-76/57
M Streets-71-50
Oak Cliff-62/50

Houston

Midtown-81/82
Montrose-79/53
Downtown-77/88
Museum District-71/63
Fourth Ward-70/78
University Place-66/59
TMC-49/61
LOL.. your city has niche boundaries for every little districts on its list. in the Houston list, we dont have little niche markets for everything, so entire portions of town are included in our "walkable areas". notice 4 of your "most walkable areas" are small segments located in DOWNTOWN Dallas. on Houstons list, there is no Market Square District, no Main Street Square district, Convention District, no Skyline District, no nothing. its just "downtown", which happens to be half a mile BIGGER than Dallas' downtown which was broken up into multiple little areas. of course your smaller popular parts of downtown are going to be more walkable than ALL of the bigger downtown Houston. sounds pretty dang biased to me..

get back to me when you have lists generalizing the walkability of entire portions of Dallas, to compare with the generalized list of portions of Houston. or find a list that breaks down houstons walkable districts into smaller areas like Dallas'.

here is a start for you.. its the walkability of Market Square in downtown Houston. sounds pretty darn unwalkable to me...

Very Walkable
Most errands can be accomplished on foot.

Rider’s Paradise
World-class public transportation.

Very Bikeable
Flat as a pancake, excellent bike lanes.

http://www.walkscore.com/score/301-m...uston-tx-77002

overall it looks like the un-zoned, car-centric Houston is more walkable than Dallas...

http://www.walkscore.com/cities-and-neighborhoods/

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
You love Fluff

Neither city is a "walkers paradise"
seriously.. Dallas walkability is a joke compared to most cities. is this really something you want to be bragging about?

Last edited by TexasTallest; 05-29-2014 at 12:21 PM..

Old 05-29-2014, 12:00 PM

5,720 posts, read 8,123,414 times
New owner of Oak Cliff’s landmark dairy eyes property for mixed-use development

New owner of Oak Cliff

Quote:
The property is zoned to allow high-rise construction and could accommodate up to 1,000 apartments and 600,000 square feet of commercial space.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:16 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,542,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
New owner of Oak Cliff’s landmark dairy eyes property for mixed-use development

New owner of Oak Cliff
What I like about all the gentrification going on in Oak Cliff, West Dallas, and Bishop Arts is that it is really hip, cool, and laid back. Most people that visit Dallas visit the North Park and Galleria area and stereotype all of DFW as being flashy and gaudy when in reality there are many areas with different flavors. I really like the direction that West Dallas & Oak Cliff are taking.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:45 PM

2,843 posts, read 4,649,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
seriously..? doesnt Dallas lead the NATION in apartment construction? Houston was right up there in the top 5, if im not mistaken, but obviously Dallas is beating Houston in apartments...
congrats on DFW beating Houston at something.. doesnt mean Dallas is better.

where is Dallas' list of ONE HUNDRED AND SEVENTEEN high-rises planned for the city? oh yeah.. didnt think so.

LOL.. your city has niche boundaries for every little districts on its list. in the Houston list, we dont have little niche markets for everything, so entire portions of town are included in our "walkable areas". notice 4 of your "most walkable areas" are small segments located in DOWNTOWN Dallas. on Houstons list, there is no Market Square District, no Main Street Square district, Convention District, no Skyline District, no nothing. its just "downtown", which happens to be half a mile BIGGER than Dallas' downtown which was broken up into multiple little areas. of course your smaller popular parts of downtown are going to be more walkable than ALL of the bigger downtown Houston. sounds pretty dang biased to me..

get back to me when you have lists generalizing the walkability of entire portions of Dallas, to compare with the generalized list of portions of Houston. or find a list that breaks down houstons walkable districts into smaller areas like Dallas'.

here is a start for you.. its the walkability of Market Square in downtown Houston. sounds pretty darn unwalkable to me...

seriously.. Dallas walkability is a joke compared to most cities. is this really something you want to be bragging about?
Touche.

I would have never thought about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or