Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2014, 10:53 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,954,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayStokes View Post
One would think you'd have the common sense to at least wait until Houston is no longer in last place in our division looking up at the Rangers and their injury depleted roster in the standings before crowing about being the new team of Texas.

But it won't matter either way. Neither of these teams are going to the playoffs this year. As of now they're both just fighting to not be last place in the division. It took the Rangers going to back-to-back world series to gain so many new fans. If you think Texas having an injury laced bad season is going to win you this state all while the Astros sit perpetually perched on their rightful seat of mediocrity, well, you're wrong.

The Dallas market can easily and successfully support both chains and local eateries.

Don't pretend Houston isn't drowning in chain restaurants and retail from one end to the other. No city is without them.
Let me clear some things up for you brah. The Astros have ALWAYS been the baseball team of Texas, similar to how the Cowboys have always been the football team. Outside of the Metroplex (where there were/are still a ton of Astros fans) and maybe the Panhandle, the Astros own every other part of the state. From Houston, to El Paso, to Austin and SA, and down to the Rio Grande valley. The years of losing 100 straight games kade many of those fans put their Astros jerseys in the closet. But with the recent influx of top prospects, plus the big ones still on the way (Carlos Correa aka the new ARod being number one), those shirts and jerseys are coming back out. Its not only the injuries for the Rangers either. The fall started the season after letting the cardinals come back from one strike away twice. The lifelong Rangers fan since 2010 bandwagon is getting a lot lighter.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:21 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,790,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Let me clear some things up for you brah. The Astros have ALWAYS been the baseball team of Texas, similar to how the Cowboys have always been the football team. Outside of the Metroplex (where there were/are still a ton of Astros fans) and maybe the Panhandle, the Astros own every other part of the state. From Houston, to El Paso, to Austin and SA, and down to the Rio Grande valley. The years of losing 100 straight games kade many of those fans put their Astros jerseys in the closet. But with the recent influx of top prospects, plus the big ones still on the way (Carlos Correa aka the new ARod being number one), those shirts and jerseys are coming back out. Its not only the injuries for the Rangers either. The fall started the season after letting the cardinals come back from one strike away twice. The lifelong Rangers fan since 2010 bandwagon is getting a lot lighter.
Are the Astros the baseball team that most Texans follow? Maybe, it's debatable. But saying they are and have always been Texas team like the Cowboys is just absurd. No way do they compare.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
Are the Astros the baseball team that most Texans follow? Maybe, it's debatable. But saying they are and have always been Texas team like the Cowboys is just absurd. No way do they compare.
It is not debatable at all. Its the flat out truth. Only recently have the Rangers even gained a bandwagon. The first time the Rangers ever won a playoff series was in 2010. The Astros had won many before that, but just had never reached the WS yet until 2004. Hell, I remember going to an Astros game in Arlington back in 2008, and it was 60/40 Astros fans. Bagwell and Biggio were beloved all across the state and before them was Nolan Ryan while with the Astros in the rainbow stripes. Come on now.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
1. 1600 Louisiana: 50 stories [Office: proposed] (Downtown)
2. 609 Main: 48 stories [Office: under-construction] (Downtown)
3. International Tower: 46 stories [Office: proposed] (Downtown)
4. Herman Place: 42 stories [Residential: proposed] (Museum District)
5. 2929 Weslayan: 40 stories [Residential: under-construction] (Greenway Plaza)
6. Capitol Tower: 33 stories [Office: proposed] (Downtown)
7. Landmark Tower: 37 stories [Residential: proposed] (Uptown)
8. Gables Post Oak Tower: 36 stories [Mixed use: proposed] (Uptown)
9. Apache Tower: 34 stories [Office: proposed] (Uptown)
10. Block 98: 38 stories [Residential: proposed] (Downtown)
11. The Crescent Building/6 Houston Center: 29 stories [Office: proposed] (Downtown)
12. Texaco Building Part II: 38 stories [Residential: proposed] (Downtown)
13. 5 Allen Center: 35 stories [Office: proposed] (Downtown)
14. Marriott Marquis Convention Center Hotel: 30 stories [Hotel: under-construction] (Downtown)
15. BHP Billiton: 30 stories [Office: under-construction] (Uptown)
16. Hanover Post Oak: 29 stories [Residential: under-construction] (Uptown)
17. Astoria: 28 stories [Residential: under-construction] (Uptown)
18. Methodist Hospital North Campus: 24 stories [Hospital: proposed] (Texas Medical Center)
19. Skyhouse Houston: 24 stories [Residential: under-construction] (Downtown)
20. 1111 Travis: 23 stories [Office: under-construction] (Downtown)
21. Block 35: 40 stories [Residential: proposed] (Downtown)
22. 900 Preston: 33 stories [Residential: proposed] (Downtown)
23. 3100 Post Oak: 26 stories [Office: proposed] (Uptown)
24. 22 Waugh: 25 stories [Office: proposed] (Neartown)
25. 3400 Montrose: 30 stories [Residential: proposed] (Montrose)
26. 1400 Texas Avenue: 28 stories [Residential: proposed] (Downtown)
27. Regent Square: 28 stories [Residential: proposed] (Neartown)
28. Block 52/Marquette Building: 28 stories [Residential: proposed] (Downtown)
29. Hotel Alessandra: 25 stories [Hotel: proposed] (Downtown)
30. Belfiore: 26 stories [Residential: proposed] (Uptown)
31. The Southmore: 25 stories [Residential: proposed] (Museum District)
32. Skyhouse River Oaks: 25 stories [Residential: under-construction] (Uptown)
33. Ashby Highrise: 23 stories [Residential: on-hold] (Montrose)
34. Energy Center IV: 22 stories [Office: under-construction] (Energy Corridor)
35. Energy Center III: 20 stories [Office: under-construction] (Energy Corridor)
36. Noble Energy Center II: 20 stories [Office: under-construction] (Northside)
37. Westcreek Centre: 21 stories [Office: proposed] (Uptown)
38. The Sovereign: 21 stories [Residential: under-consruction] (Neartown)
39. Pinnacle West I: 20 stories [Office: proposed] (Energy Corridor)
40. Millenium Tower II: 22 stories [Office: under-construction] (Westchase)
41. The Kirby Collection: 22 stories [Residential: under-construction] (Upper Kirby)
42. Air Liquide Center 1: 20 stories [Office: under-construction] (Memorial City)
43. Convention Center Hotel: 20 stories [Hotel: proposed] (Downtown)
44. Chelsea Montrose: 20 stories [Residential: proposed] (Montrose)
45. Tower at Streetlights at Midlane I: 18 stories [Mixed use: proposed] (Uptown)
46. Five Westlake Park: 19 stories [Office: proposed] (Energy Corridor)
47. 2229 San Felipe: 18 stories [Office: under-construction] (Upper Kirby)
48. Energy Center V: 18 stories [Office: proposed] (Energy Corridor)
49. 3737 Buffalo Speedway: 18 stories [Office: under-construction] (Greenway Plaza)
50. Samsung Tower: 18 stories [Office: under-construction] (Westchase)
51. Kingwood Parc 1: 18 stories [Office: proposed] (Kingwood)
52. Energy Tower IV: 17 stories [Office: under-construction] (Energy Corridor)
53. Azalea Court Tower: 17 stories [Residential: under-construction] (Uptown)
54. CORE Central Park West: 16 stories [Office: proposed] (Energy Corridor)
55. Kirby Grover at Levy Park: 16 stories [Office: under-construction] (Greenway Plaza)
56. Mid Main Office Tower: 16 stories [Office: proposed] (Midtown)
57. Kingwood Parc 2: 16 stories [Office: proposed] (Kingwood)
58. Memorial Point: 16 stories [Office: proposed0 (Uptown)
59. Core Park West: 16 stories [Office: proposed] (Energy Corridor)
60. Tower at Streetlights at Midlane II: 16 stories [Mixed use: proposed] (Uptown)
61. City West Place 8: 16 stories [Office: proposed) (Westchase)
62. Phillips 66 Headquarters I: 16 stories [Office: under-construction] (Westchase)
63. Phillips 66 Headquarters II: 16 stories [Office: under-construction] (Westchase)
64. 1311 Louisiana: 16 stories [Other: proposed] (Downtown)
65. Hyatt Regency at Galleria: 14 stories [Hotel: under-construction] (Uptown)
66. Brazos Tower at Bayou Manor: 14 stories [Residential: under-construction] (Texas Medical Center)
67. Clay Beltway: 14 stories [Office: proposed] (Westchase)
68. Eldridge Oaks II: 14 stories [Office: proposed] (Energy Corridor)
69. Clay & Beltway: 14 stories [Office: proposed] (Westchase)
70. Hampton Inn / Homewood Suites: 14 story [Hotel: proposed] (Downtown)
71. Pinnacle West II: 14 stories [Office: proposed] (Energy Corridor)
72. Harris County Annex: 13 stories [Other: proposed] (Downtown)
73. 1885 Saint James: 13 story [Office: proposed] (Uptown)
74. The Kirby Collection Office: 12 stories [Office: under-construction] (Upper Kirby)
75. Clay Beltway II: 12 stories [Office: proposed] (Westchase)
76. City West Place 7: 12 stories [Office: proposed] (Westchase)
77. Tower at Streetlights at Midlane III: 12 stories [Mixed use: proposed] (Uptown)
78. City Centre 5: 12 stories [Office: proposed] (City Centre)
79. Hanover Southhampton Tower I: 12 stories [Residential: under-construction] (Montrose)
80. Hanover Southhampton Tower II: 12 stories [Residential: under-construction] (Montrose)
81. Air Liquide Centre II: 12 stories [Office: under-construction] (Memorial City)
82. 10496 Old Katy Road: 12 stories [Office: proposed] (Energy Corridor)
83. West Memorial Place I: 12 stories [Office: under-construction] (Energy Corridor)
84. Enclave Place: 11 stories [Office: under-construction] (Energy Corridor)
85. Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan: 12 stories [Hospital: under-construction] (Texas Medical Center)
86. West Memorial Place II: 12 stories [Office: proposed] (Energy Corridor)
87. Regent Square III: 12 stories [Other: proposed] (Neartown)
88. Tower at West Point 1: 12 stories [Office: proposed] (Energy Corridor)
89. Tower at West Point 2: 12 stories [Office: proposed] (Energy Corridor)
90. Tower at West Point 3: 12 stories [Office: proposed] (Energy Corridor)
91. Tower at West Point 4: 12 stories [Office: proposed] (Energy Corridor)
92. Tower at West Point 5: 12 stories [Office: proposed] (Energy Corridor)
93. Tower at West Point 6: 12 stories [Office: proposed] (Energy Corridor)
94. Regent Square II: 11 stories [Office: proposed] (Neartown)
95. Granite Park II: 12 stories [Office: proposed] (Westchase)
96. Greenway Plaza Office: 11 stories [Office: proposed] (Greenway Plaza)
97. Tower at West Point 7: 11 stories [Office: proposed] (Energy Corridor)
98. Tower at West Point 8: 11 stories [Office: proposed] (Energy Corridor)
99. Town Centre I: 10 stories [Office: under-construction] (City Centre)
100. Five Chasewood: 10 stories [Office: under-construction] (Westchase)
101. Southwestern Energy Headquarters: 10 stories [Office: under-construction] (Northside)
102. 4477 Sam Houston Parkway: 10 stories [Office: proposed] (Energy Corridor)
106. Tower at West Point 9: 10 stories [Office: proposed] (Energy Corridor)
107. Tower at West Point 10: 10 stories [Office: proposed] (Energy Corridor)
108. Tower at West Point 11: 10 stories [Office: proposed] (Energy Corridor)
109. Tower at West Point 12: 10 stories [Office: proposed] (Energy Corridor)
#110 TMC hotel and residences: ~28 stories [Hotel: proposed] (Texas Medical Center)
#111 Memorial Hermans outpatient center: 16 stories [Hospital: proposed] (Texas Medical Center)
#112 Camden's phase 1: 21 stories [Residential: proposed] (Downtown)
#113 Skyline North: 10 stories [Residential: proposed] (Montrose)
#114 Camden's phase 2: 21 stories [Residential: proposed] (Downtown)
#115 the Perennial Office Tower: 28 stories [Office: proposed] (Uptown)
#116 Residential Tower on lot south of 2016 Main: 11 stories [Residential: proposed] (Midtown)
#117 AmREIT's proposed mixed use: ~ 50 stories [Mixed-use: proposed] (Uptown)
#118 Hilton Garden Inn: 12 stories [Hotel: proposed] (Downtown)
#119 Richmond Cummins at Greenway: 1 [office: proposed] (Greenway)
#120 KP Plaza Tower I: 20 stories [residential: proposed] (Chinatown/WestChase)
#121 KP Plaza Tower II: 15 stories [hotel: proposed] (Chinatown/WestChase)
#122 314 Hotel & Residences: ? stories [hotel & residences: proposed] (Uptown)

now if you want some random list of a few select destinations in the core with projects U/C, then here are all the projects over 12 stories (im not going to list a freaking townhouse or any other low rise development like a retail center.. way too much going on to keep track of little things like that) U/C in the Downtown, Uptown, and Greenway/Upper Kirby areas.

1. 609 Main: 48 stories [Office: under-construction] (Downtown)
2. 2929 Weslayan: 40 stories [Residential: under-construction] (Greenway Plaza)
3. Marriott Marquis Convention Center Hotel: 30 stories [Hotel: under-construction] (Downtown)
4. BHP Billiton: 30 stories [Office: under-construction] (Uptown)
5. Hanover Post Oak: 29 stories [Residential: under-construction] (Uptown)
6. Astoria: 28 stories [Residential: under-construction] (Uptown)
7. Skyhouse Houston: 24 stories [Residential: under-construction] (Downtown)
8. 1111 Travis: 23 stories [Office: under-construction] (Downtown)
9. Skyhouse River Oaks: 25 stories [Residential: under-construction] (Uptown)
10. 2229 San Felipe: 18 stories [Office: under-construction] (Upper Kirby)
11. 3737 Buffalo Speedway: 18 stories [Office: under-construction] (Greenway Plaza)
12. Azalea Court Tower: 17 stories [Residential: under-construction] (Uptown)
13. Kirby Grover at Levy Park: 16 stories [Office: under-construction] (Greenway Plaza)
14. Hyatt Regency at Galleria: 14 stories [Hotel: under-construction] (Uptown)
15. The Belfiore: 26 stories {residential: under-construction] (Uptown)

not saying it wasnt on topic, just saying there are other threads for those discussions where you dont have to worry about fighting a losing battle.

i seriously wonder about you boi..
Dallaz & BCB's list was for Dallas Downtown Core and your comparing it to a list of projects ranging from Downtown Houston all the way to the Energy Corrider and Kingwood?

Old 06-10-2014, 11:35 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,271,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayStokes View Post

The Dallas market can easily and successfully support both chains and local eateries. Don't pretend Houston isn't drowning in chain restaurants and retail from one end to the other. No city is without them.
Please man! who's pretending?

You're the one pretending that Houston doesn't have more of the mom and pop establishment. It's a bigger city! When i first moved from CO, when I drove through Dallas and when I drove through Houston, i could clearly tell the difference. Dallas to me felt more like Denver Colorado without the mountains. Dallas was flashier, cleaner, and I felt like the presence of the restaurant chains were more in tune to what I was used to seeing back home.

While Houston felt like a big city, I got a feel like I was almost in a different country. It wasn't as flashy but it was a place full of hidden gems, they just didn't pop out at you. I will give you that Houston is changing now (some say its losing its identity) by going the way of chains, but Dallas is still ahead of it in that regard.

My guess is that's why places like In and Out burger, Hopdoddy, and a few others feel more comfortable opening up in Dallas first. Dallas has more established chains, thus makes competition research much more convenient and easier. It's not that Houston's not worthy, just too much COMPETITION.

So go ahead and brag about being the first city to be like every other city in America. Sadly to say though, Houston is following suit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Everything skips Houston...In and out said no thanks.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:42 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
Dallaz & BCB's list was for Dallas Downtown Core and your comparing it to a list of projects ranging from Downtown Houston all the way to the Energy Corrider and Kingwood?
Geez, it's like no one read the list. I broke down a smaller list at the end of the main list with projects currently under construction in downtown, uptown, and greenway/upper Kirby, to compare to Dallaz' arbitrary list.

But if you must know, Houston has no zoning, so most of it's high-rises aren't confined to one area of town. Comparing the core of Dallas to the core of Houston's new development, Houston only looks slightly better But when you look at the big picture and see all of the high-rises under construction across town, you realize the two cities don't come close to comparing in terms of development.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:45 AM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,784,012 times
You all act like Hopdoddy is McDonald's...go to the one on SoCo (that is if you know what that is without Googling it), and tell me it's "just another chain." Hopdoddy is the Whole Foods of burger bars. Here's the mission statement from Hoppdoddy's website:

"AT HOPDODDY, OUR PASSION IS TO BRING YOU THE FRESHEST AVAILABLE, ALL-NATURAL INGREDIENTS. OUR BEEF COMES FROM HUMANELY-RAISED HAPPY COWS, NEVER, EVER GIVEN GROWTH HORMONES OR ANTIBIOTICS. WE GRIND OUR MEAT IN-HOUSE DAILY. OUR FRIES ARE HAND-CUT FROM SELECT KENNEBEC POTATOES. OUR BUNS ARE MADE FROM SCRATCH & BAKED FRESH TWICE EVERYDAY."

Old 06-10-2014, 11:49 AM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,784,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
But when you look at the big picture and see all of the high-rises under construction across town, you realize the two cities don't come close to comparing in terms of development.
Urban-sprawl is that to which you are referring to and wish not to speak of. All development is not smart development, case-in-point, Houston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomonation View Post
What is brah?
Urban Dictionary: brah

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Please man! who's pretending?

You're the one pretending that Houston doesn't have more of the mom and pop establishment. It's a bigger city! When i first moved from CO, when I drove through Dallas and when I drove through Houston, i could clearly tell the difference. Dallas to me felt more like Denver Colorado without the mountains. Dallas was flashier, cleaner, and I felt like the presence of the restaurant chains were more in tune to what I was used to seeing back home.

While Houston felt like a big city, I got a feel like I was almost in a different country. It wasn't as flashy but it was a place full of hidden gems, they just didn't pop out at you. I will give you that Houston is changing now (some say its losing its identity) by going the way of chains, but Dallas is still ahead of it in that regard.

My guess is that's why places like In and Out burger, Hopdoddy, and a few others feel more comfortable opening up in Dallas first. Dallas has more established chains, thus makes competition research much more convenient and easier. It's not that Houston's not worthy, just too much COMPETITION.

So go ahead and brag about being the first city to be like every other city in America. Sadly to say though, Houston is following suit.
The reason why they open in Dallas first is because 1) it is a bigger market so there is a bigger chance of success and 2) from a business logistical standpoint it just makes sense. If Dallas goes well you make it your point of distribution due to it being a crossroads of sorts where you have other major cities all around to expand to. It is what it is, even if the city feels like Denver Co, or Birmingham, Alabama to you it's still a bigger market. By the way, when did you move from Colorado?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas