Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2011, 07:54 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,534,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Eventually we will get a NBA team. But until than we are Mavericks fans. I did notice Cuban and the boys only mentioned the city of Dallas and not the entire metro. He kinda is leaving the door open for a team in the future to reside in the western half of the metro. Trust me I pay close attention to details.
Ugh. At the end of the day, they are the Dallas Mavericks, not the North Texas Mavericks and they are located in downtown Dallas. It's not like the Cowboys Stadium being in Arlington and FC Dallas playing in Frisco. Why would Mark Cuban feel compelled to mention any city other than Dallas? Fort Worth is not even near the front of the line for an NBA team.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:57 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Dallas and Houston hip hop is completely different. Not one artist from Dallas tries imitate anyone from Houston or any other city for that matter. Houston rap for the most part is slow and boring. Dallas rap is elementary at best with much better beats. The majority of the songs that are played in the clubs are from Dallas including down and Houston. I've seen it with my own eyes. Houston got its big break (with the help of ATL) and had no intentions to bring DFW along for the ride. Besides for some reason most DFW rappers can't seem to stay out of jail long enough to make a big impact. I care for neither or southern hip hop in general. When I need motivation I put on 2pac.

Ok I admit I do like this song...Dorrough Ice Cream Paint ...

YouTube - ‪ICE CREAM PAINT JOB - DORROUGH MUSIC "OFFICIAL VIDEO"‬‏
I lol'ed.

Come on bro. You can't believe half of what you just wrote. You really don't think Dallas rappers try to copy Houston's style? Go listen to DSR. They are like a direct bite off of Houston rap. And no, Houston did not get a single assist from the ATL. Remember, Houston rap first came onto the scene back in the 80s with the Geto Boys/Scarface. Dallas and Atlanta did not come first, Houston did. In fact, OutKast has even stated the the Geto Boys paved the way for them and the entire South. The "new" Houston rap that came on in 2005 was just the new era. But most of those guys were frauds. Paul Wall gets some respect, as does Slim Thug, but Mike Jones gets booed of the stage down in Houston.

As far as Houston rap being slow and boring, and may be slow, but not boring. There is much more substance in Houston rap. K-Rino, Devin the Dude, Z-Ro, Scarface, etc. Of course they play the Dallas rap in the clubs...they are good dance records. There are some dance records to come out of Houston, but for the most part, that's not really what artists from the city do. And I wouldn't call the beats better either.

But while we're on the subject of Dallas vs Houston rap, I'd be cool if you guys could download this mixtape from a friend of mine: JT Guaranteed to Wreck - Wreckless Endangerment Hosted by DJ Dupree of Campus Kingz // Free Mixtape @ DatPiff.com

We still trying to support and promote his music, no matter what.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:01 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,835,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
Ugh. At the end of the day, they are the Dallas Mavericks, not the North Texas Mavericks and they are located in downtown Dallas. It's not like the Cowboys Stadium being in Arlington and FC Dallas playing in Frisco. Why would Mark Cuban feel compelled to mention any city other than Dallas? Fort Worth is not even near the front of the line for an NBA team.
Maybe to protect his market you think? If OKC got a NBA team just about any major city can get a team including Fort Worth.

You read the article out the star-telegram.

Old record for commuter rail ridership in Dallas-Fort Worth goes down in defeat, like LeBron James and the Miami Heat

Boosted by thousands of people flocking to a parade for the NBA champion Dallas Mavericks, the Trinity Railway Express on Thursday carried a record 27,499 passengers – more than triple the 8,250 riders who normally take trains from Fort Worth to Dallas on a weekday. The previous one-day TRE record was 17,005 riders on July 18, 2006, when rail cars were filled with people motivated to ride for free on an ozone awareness day. On Thursday, rail riders were motivated to be part of the historical moment in downtown Dallas, where an estimated 250,000 people watched the beloved basketball team parade down the streets

Read more: Dallas Fort Worth traffic: Old record for commuter rail ridership in Dallas-Fort Worth goes down in defeat, like LeBron James and the Miami Heat

Old 06-20-2011, 08:08 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Maybe to protect his market you think? If OKC got a NBA team just about any major city can get a team including Fort Worth.

Old record for commuter rail ridership in Dallas-Fort Worth goes down in defeat, like LeBron James and the Miami Heat

Boosted by thousands of people flocking to a parade for the NBA champion Dallas Mavericks, the Trinity Railway Express on Thursday carried a record 27,499 passengers – more than triple the 8,250 riders who normally take trains from Fort Worth to Dallas on a weekday. The previous one-day TRE record was 17,005 riders on July 18, 2006, when rail cars were filled with people motivated to ride for free on an ozone awareness day. On Thursday, rail riders were motivated to be part of the historical moment in downtown Dallas, where an estimated 250,000 people watched the beloved basketball team parade down the streets

Read more: Dallas Fort Worth traffic: Old record for commuter rail ridership in Dallas-Fort Worth goes down in defeat, like LeBron James and the Miami Heat
The difference here being, Oklahoma City is its own market, while Fort Worth is not. Dallas is the big brother next door, so it's not the same thing. A better example would be Kansas City, not Fort Worth.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:35 PM

469 posts, read 886,125 times
Mr pooki and mr lucci have a distinct Dallas sound (Midwestern style flows with Texas beats)
No one besides twisted black and one gud cide has been able to come out with anything that really catches my attention

Houston produced geto boys so game over

Hahah anyone remember Nemisis- Munchies For Your Bass

Old 06-20-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
I lol'ed.

Come on bro. You can't believe half of what you just wrote. You really don't think Dallas rappers try to copy Houston's style? Go listen to DSR. They are like a direct bite off of Houston rap. And no, Houston did not get a single assist from the ATL. Remember, Houston rap first came onto the scene back in the 80s with the Geto Boys/Scarface. Dallas and Atlanta did not come first, Houston did. In fact, OutKast has even stated the the Geto Boys paved the way for them and the entire South. The "new" Houston rap that came on in 2005 was just the new era. But most of those guys were frauds. Paul Wall gets some respect, as does Slim Thug, but Mike Jones gets booed of the stage down in Houston.

As far as Houston rap being slow and boring, and may be slow, but not boring. There is much more substance in Houston rap. K-Rino, Devin the Dude, Z-Ro, Scarface, etc. Of course they play the Dallas rap in the clubs...they are good dance records. There are some dance records to come out of Houston, but for the most part, that's not really what artists from the city do. And I wouldn't call the beats better either.

But while we're on the subject of Dallas vs Houston rap, I'd be cool if you guys could download this mixtape from a friend of mine: JT Guaranteed to Wreck - Wreckless Endangerment Hosted by DJ Dupree of Campus Kingz // Free Mixtape @ DatPiff.com

We still trying to support and promote his music, no matter what.
I was refering to the new blood not the old school Houston rappers. Z-ro, scarface etc are legends in the game. You also got to remember the reason Dallas hip-hop had a tough time getting a big break was mainly due to K104. They refused to play local talent for a long time but they would glady play music out of Houston etc. It wasn't until 97.9 came along and supported the local talents did Dallas hip hop really start taking off. Because 97.9 was showcasing local talents there ratings skyrocketed. K104 as a result ratings drop and had no other choice but to start showcasing local talent.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkispoison View Post
Mr pooki and mr lucci have a distinct Dallas sound (Midwestern style flows with Texas beats)
No one besides twisted black and one gud cide has been able to come out with anything that really catches my attention

Houston produced geto boys so game over

Hahah anyone remember Nemisis- Munchies For Your Bass
Twisted Black was raised in the Funk and went to O.D. Wyatt. He rapped about real life stuff...My p's went to school with him. I know some of his family personally.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:45 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,534,750 times
Quote:

I know Fort Worth supports the Mavericks, but to me it's still pretty silly to get upset that you don't get a personal "thank you" from Mark Cuban. All of North Texas roots for the Mavericks. Was he supposed to list every city in DFW and give them an individual parade? Not to mention, when he says "Dallas," just like 5 of the 6.5 million people in DFW and pretty much everybody outside of Loop 820, he's referring to North Texas in general. It just seems like such a petty thing to get upset about and go out of your way to notice. It reeks of the little brother syndrome Fort Worth proudly wears on its sleeve. And I say this out of love as a Fort Worth native and future resident.

Like Trae said, Oklahoma City gets its own team because it's its own market. They will represent all of Oklahoma. Fort Worth is not in any line to get a team. DFW, and Texas in general, are fickle when it comes to any sport outside of football. When the Mavs have some down years again, sadly, they won't have the fan loyalty that the Cowboys enjoy. Look at the Stars today compared to a decade ago. DFW can't support two NBA teams, and they won't ever get two. Fort Worth's only hope is that the Mavericks get a new owner one day that moves the team west.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
The difference here being, Oklahoma City is its own market, while Fort Worth is not. Dallas is the big brother next door, so it's not the same thing. A better example would be Kansas City, not Fort Worth.
LA has two basketball teams and Sac-town was threatening to move to Anahiem. Which would have put 3 basketball teams in Los Angeles market. There are plenty of examples similar to this throughout the country. Really what you stated didn't make any sense at all. I think DFW is big enough to support two basketball teams. Plus there are already plans to build a new arena in the cultural district of Fort Worth.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
I know Fort Worth supports the Mavericks, but to me it's still pretty silly to get upset that you don't get a personal "thank you" from Mark Cuban. All of North Texas roots for the Mavericks. Was he supposed to list every city in DFW and give them an individual parade? Not to mention, when he says "Dallas," just like 5 of the 6.5 million people in DFW and pretty much everybody outside of Loop 820, he's referring to North Texas in general. It just seems like such a petty thing to get upset about and go out of your way to notice. It reeks of the little brother syndrome Fort Worth proudly wears on its sleeve. And I say this out of love as a Fort Worth native and future resident.

Like Trae said, Oklahoma City gets its own team because it's its own market. They will represent all of Oklahoma. Fort Worth is not in any line to get a team. DFW, and Texas in general, are fickle when it comes to any sport outside of football. When the Mavs have some down years again, sadly, they won't have the fan loyalty that the Cowboys enjoy. Look at the Stars today compared to a decade ago. DFW can't support two NBA teams, and they won't ever get two. Fort Worth's only hope is that the Mavericks get a new owner one day that moves the team west.
Upset? What are you talking about? You took it upon yourself to over analyze my post and put words in my mouth. All I did was respond to Trae when he stated deep down inside Fort Worth wish they had a NBA team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas