Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2011, 10:00 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,395,615 times

Advertisements

Look guys I understand that you probably live in Dallas somewhere and no one like to see their City trashed but get real, who has been brain washing you guys that Dallas is a great place and compares well to Houston? I mean have you been lied to your whole life?

Old 09-18-2011, 10:05 PM

343 posts, read 800,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
Look guys I understand that you probably live in Dallas somewhere and no one like to see their City trashed but get real, who has been brain washing you guys that Dallas is a great place and compares well to Houston? I mean have you been lied to your whole life?
you wish . Same could be said about any Houston homers. I have experienced both cities extensively and I am not declaring one better than the other, but I am clearing out the blatant lies and stereotypes being spread. Dont care who is "better" but Dallas will always win in my book

Old 09-18-2011, 10:19 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,790,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakold23 View Post
you wish . Same could be said about any Houston homers. I have experienced both cities extensively and I am not declaring one better than the other, but I am clearing out the blatant lies and stereotypes being spread. Dont care who is "better" but Dallas will always win in my book k:
I guess it won't be a best seller

Old 09-18-2011, 10:24 PM

343 posts, read 800,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I guess it won't be a best seller
I admit I laughed
But we all know it would be a bestseller...maybe outselling Harry potter. Who wouldnt want to read about Dallas!?

Let me guess, you

Old 09-18-2011, 10:56 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,795,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakold23 View Post
I admit I laughed
But we all know it would be a bestseller...maybe outselling Harry potter. Who wouldnt want to read about Dallas!?

Let me guess, you

Dallas is Alpha city....and Houston is a Beta city...according to GaWC

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/gawc/world2010t.html

Old 09-18-2011, 11:22 PM

4,421 posts, read 6,241,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...smackdown.html

This thread already resolved this same smack down. Houston won, even over Atlanta and Miami. Houston won and appears to be winning again here. I just spent days looking over every comment on this entire thread. I analyzed every argument for each city based on endless criteria and it appears to be getting clearer that Houston is winning this thread.

Dallas people have ignored countless questions and have failed to respond to a lot of concerns. Their only argument seems to be that the city is zoned and looks a little nicer in their opinion.

The City Of Dallas Is:...........
1. super boring at night,
2. has no beach anywhere near,
3. The landscape is covered with brown dead grass half the year. Dallas has a VERY PLAIN BORING landscape!!!!!!
4. Dallas tends to be racist and presumptuous,
5. it is too close to Oklahoma and too far from New Orleans.
6. It has less culture than Houston. I mean Houston has WAAAAAY! more cultural activities than Dallas.
7. It is far from anything fun.
8. It is too hot in the summer, And too cold in the winter but still only snows rarely
9. has high taxes.
10. If you want an affordable house you have to go far from the city.
11. Nothing is within walking distance, you have to drive everywhere to do anything.
12. There tends to be an elitist (snobby) attitude.
13. The freeways in Dallas are UGLY really UGLY.
14.Dallas is geographically unappealing - very little natural beauty.
15. Police corruption. Seems like once a week or so there's always someone in a law enforcement position that's been suspended, fired or is otherwise under investigation for some crime.
16.Lack of competitive college sports in the Metroplex, I mean who do they root for??
17. Traffic is a HORRIBLE Mess. The toll roads are way behind the growth. BAD PLANNING!!
18. The singles scene is very boring and dull unless you are a white church going christian. A warning to newcomers, Dallas has one of the WORST DEAD social scenes in the world. The people will say hello and smile but to find long term meaningful friends is difficult. Remember that people in Dallas are Presumptuous and snobby.
19. The only recreation area nearby is White Rock lake. Only 1 rec area? Houston is on the Gulf coast.....Imagine how many recreation areas are nearby..... A LOT!!
20. The roads are in terrible condition. Potholes everywhere.

I am sorry guys but I don't know what this argument is about. Dallas loses this one by a long shot. They need to be doing a Dallas-Oklahoma City smack down. Houston needs to be declared the winner and then close this thread so we can all get back to our normal lives.
This is ridiculous

Old 09-18-2011, 11:35 PM

I am not just saying this to ruffle any feathers, but this has been my experience from various sources: friends, family, visitors, co-workers

I can't count how many times I've heard "oh, I used to hate Texas, but I had only been to Houston before" or "I like Dallas, I could never live in Houston".

When I decided to move to Texas my best friend begged and pleaded with me not to move to Texas. He came to visit me in Dallas and loved it. His first words were "I was expecting another Houston, I could definitely live in Dallas, it's a lot better".

Dallas seems to be more appealing and attractive to people from other places, perhaps thats why media and retailers seem to attract to Dallas more.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:41 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,790,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I am not just saying this to ruffle any feathers, but this has been my experience from various sources: friends, family, visitors, co-workers

I can't count how many times I've heard "oh, I used to hate Texas, but I had only been to Houston before" or "I like Dallas, I could never live in Houston".

When I decided to move to Texas my best friend begged and pleaded with me not to move to Texas. He came to visit me in Dallas and loved it. His first words were "I was expecting another Houston, I could definitely live in Dallas, it's a lot better".

Dallas seems to be more appealing and attractive to people from other places, perhaps thats why media and retailers seem to attract to Dallas more.
I hear the exact same thing. People only having experience with dallas and not liking it and then coming to Houston and changing their opinion of Texas or the better.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:47 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,877,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I hear the exact same thing. People only having experience with dallas and not liking it and then coming to Houston and changing their opinion of Texas or the better.
I know right? Trying to act like only Dallas is viewed favorably. I guess that's why the Houston area is growing faster.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
I know right? Trying to act like only Dallas is viewed favorably. I guess that's why the Houston area is growing faster.
The census stated that the minimal advantage of Houstons growth over Dallas was due to the much larger birth rates in the Houston area. And as has been proven through many studies more affluent populations tend to not bear as many children.

Just sayin'......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas