Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2011, 11:53 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,387,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Dallas is Alpha city....and Houston is a Beta city...according to GaWC

GaWC - The World According to GaWC 2010
You know the houstonians will just pretend they didn't see this.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:56 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,794,345 times
Give Houston its props according to the census they out grew DFW last decade and had a larger GDP than DFW. Both are marginal at best but a victory for Houston if you want to call it that.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:16 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,874,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
The census stated that the minimal advantage of Houstons growth over Dallas was due to the much larger birth rates in the Houston area. And as has been proven through many studies more affluent populations tend to not bear as many children.

Just sayin'......
Yet, the Houston area has an overall higher personal income than the DFW area, despite having the smaller population. Might wanna fact check. You try hard man, I'll give you that. Keep reaching though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
There are many world ranking lists. You should look at the criteria for that one. All about how many accounting firms and lawyer offices there are in a city.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:17 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,242,230 times
I've said this for years and i'll say it again.

Dallas is like a stage prop that is basically trying to "play" like a city. That's why it has to copy and front like its an east coast city. Don't get me wrong, alot of projects and beautification things going on in Dallas, i'd like to see Houston do, But Dallas is all look and no feel.

Dallas's light rail, although an acomplishment, doesn't even adequately serve the area for the amount of lines it has. Houston's dinky, one- horse light rail train gets more ridership and once the other lines are added, those numers will continue to skyrocket. Dallasites will no longer be able to claim that those numbers are skewed saying everything is fed in to one light rail line. Houston's density inside of the loop already speaks for itself.

Houston feels like a city. Dallas may have become more international, but it's spread over the metro in bits and sprinkles so its hardly noticed. In Houston, the international presence is there. Take a drive down Hillcroft, W. Bellaire, Harwin, etc.

I will give Dallas credit where its due, their urban planning they've been doing for the last decade is more modern, in style, and probably "cuter" than what Houston's "anything goes" mentality. That's probably why Dallas is viewed as the more attractive of the two. But all of Dallas is not downtown, take a step outside of downtown and go other parts of the city, you see old crumbling freeways, old buildings, treeless and ugly terrain, and other things people love to bash Houston about. So Dallas is not just "wine". If that's the case, Houston could claim to be all of Uptown, River Oaks, I-10 West, and etc. I mean people in Dallas act like all of Dallas is downtown, North Central Expressway, etc.

As far as R1070's claim, so what? I've had people come to visit Texas and say that Houston is the poppin' city in Texas with the most action and culture. Dallas is more country. It doesn't have as many skyscrapers throughout the city and there's alot of deadspots and undeveloped areas once you step out of downtown. Plus, we had to spend 20-30 minutes just to find a liquor store in Dallas !"

And people can hate on the gulf coast all they want. It may not be the best picturesque beach, but it beats nothing. Just like Dallas's hills are not all that but its still more hilly than what Houston has. I bet people in Austin laugh at Dallas's claim of hills. Anyway as far as Houston goes, having some diverse landscape and some sort of beach is still better than miles of grass and endless prarie.

stoneclaw/C2H

Old 09-19-2011, 01:18 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,598,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
In the end, Houston is still better than Dallas.
And then you woke up...

Old 09-19-2011, 01:22 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,598,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...smackdown.html

This thread already resolved this same smack down. Houston won, even over Atlanta and Miami. Houston won and appears to be winning again here. I just spent days looking over every comment on this entire thread. I analyzed every argument for each city based on endless criteria and it appears to be getting clearer that Houston is winning this thread.

Dallas people have ignored countless questions and have failed to respond to a lot of concerns. Their only argument seems to be that the city is zoned and looks a little nicer in their opinion.

The City Of Dallas Is:...........
1. super boring at night,
2. has no beach anywhere near,
3. The landscape is covered with brown dead grass half the year. Dallas has a VERY PLAIN BORING landscape!!!!!!
4. Dallas tends to be racist and presumptuous,
5. it is too close to Oklahoma and too far from New Orleans.
6. It has less culture than Houston. I mean Houston has WAAAAAY! more cultural activities than Dallas.
7. It is far from anything fun.
8. It is too hot in the summer, And too cold in the winter but still only snows rarely
9. has high taxes.
10. If you want an affordable house you have to go far from the city.
11. Nothing is within walking distance, you have to drive everywhere to do anything.
12. There tends to be an elitist (snobby) attitude.
13. The freeways in Dallas are UGLY really UGLY.
14.Dallas is geographically unappealing - very little natural beauty.
15. Police corruption. Seems like once a week or so there's always someone in a law enforcement position that's been suspended, fired or is otherwise under investigation for some crime.
16.Lack of competitive college sports in the Metroplex, I mean who do they root for??
17. Traffic is a HORRIBLE Mess. The toll roads are way behind the growth. BAD PLANNING!!
18. The singles scene is very boring and dull unless you are a white church going christian. A warning to newcomers, Dallas has one of the WORST DEAD social scenes in the world. The people will say hello and smile but to find long term meaningful friends is difficult. Remember that people in Dallas are Presumptuous and snobby.
19. The only recreation area nearby is White Rock lake. Only 1 rec area? Houston is on the Gulf coast.....Imagine how many recreation areas are nearby..... A LOT!!
20. The roads are in terrible condition. Potholes everywhere.

I am sorry guys but I don't know what this argument is about. Dallas loses this one by a long shot. They need to be doing a Dallas-Oklahoma City smack down. Houston needs to be declared the winner and then close this thread so we can all get back to our normal lives.
Someone must've tainted y'alls water supply down there with some sort of delusion inducing liquid. You and Htown are out of control with y'alls hyperbolizing.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:41 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,863,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
So now a research center based in the UK is an authority on how World cities should be ranked?

Houston still ranks 2nd only to NYC in Fortune 500 companies, 2nd largest theater district only to NYC, 3rd largest US skyline after NYC & Chicago, has the largest foreign shipping port in the nation, largest medical center in the World, & blows Dallas away in diversity with over 90 languages spoken throughout the city & more foreign consulates than Dallas will ever have.

Oh & BTW Houston was also the first word spoken from the Moon!

People only know Dallas because of the Cowboys, Grassy Knoll, & the stupid TV show that I got subjected to as a kid.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:39 AM

43 posts, read 169,350 times
I have to preface this by saying it has been several years since I lived in Houston but from my experiences living in both cities, Houston it is much friendlier city than Dallas unless you have money, good looks or belong to a large church (and with the later you will still need the money). Houston is a "live and let live" town. Dallas is more pretentious. As someone said, the shopping in Dallas is AMAZING....as good as anywhere in the country, IF you have lots of money. If you want to make money, move to Dallas. If you want to make a life, move to Houston. (if you can tolerate the weather)

Last edited by the_dallas_dean; 09-19-2011 at 03:40 AM.. Reason: Needed to add weather comment

Old 09-19-2011, 08:09 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,387,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
So now a research center based in the UK is an authority on how World cities should be ranked?

Houston still ranks 2nd only to NYC in Fortune 500 companies, 2nd largest theater district only to NYC, 3rd largest US skyline after NYC & Chicago, has the largest foreign shipping port in the nation, largest medical center in the World, & blows Dallas away in diversity with over 90 languages spoken throughout the city & more foreign consulates than Dallas will ever have.

Oh & BTW Houston was also the first word spoken from the Moon!

People only know Dallas because of the Cowboys, Grassy Knoll, & the stupid TV show that I got subjected to as a kid.
the first word spoken on the moon?!?.......WHO CARES!!!!!!

Old 09-19-2011, 09:49 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,395,176 times
Default These Dallas folk are ENCOURAGEABLE!

Look your City is out in the middle of NOWHERE! You don't have a beach anywhere near that place. You all seem to think that Galveston is just some muddy little lake that's worthless. Well I hope that helps your concience feel better but that is a lie.

Gee, how many tarpon are you catching in the MAN MADE lakes up there? How many Cruises leave from LAKE DALLAS? Oh, and even though the water is a little murky it still makes for a great place to surf during the tropical storms and hurricanes. This my friends is something Dallas can only dream about :-)

We have a beach. We have REAL natural forest lands. We are the birthpalce of Texas, We are closer to all the cool stuff....San Antonio, Austin, New Orleans, South Padre, Mexico etc. We have taller buildings, we have a bigger city, we have awesome recreation areas that Dallas can not compare to. IE anahuac wildlife refuge, Brazos bend, Blue water highway seashore, guys the list goes on and on.

Dallas has miles of dead brown grass you drive around the pothole filled roads going bumpity bump and look at the boring dry landscape and MAN MADE LAKES (which have dirtier water by far than Galveston).

Dallas like to boast their big airport.. But they get real quiet when you ask them about their PORT! Why? because they do not have one. Houston has one of the busiest ports in the world.
I can get exhausted going on and on but the point is that Dallas is going to have a much more difficult time explaining how they could possibly be better. I sure can't see how they could be better.

Last edited by jd433; 09-19-2011 at 09:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas