Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 05:10 PM

52 posts, read 308,983 times

Advertisements

I agree with the "land west of the Pecos" being far west Texas, and pretty much the eastern edge of the desert southwest.

I disagree that El Paso be lumped into the same category as Laredo or the RGV. The south Texas border region is much off the beaten path, and very mono-cultural. El Paso on the other hand, is on I-10 (a very major trans continental highway). Also Ft Bliss is a large, and getting larger, military installation.

These two things make El Paso more diverse and up to date than most other border regions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 09:09 AM

105 posts, read 494,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmac500 View Post
I agree with the "land west of the Pecos" being far west Texas, and pretty much the eastern edge of the desert southwest.

I disagree that El Paso be lumped into the same category as Laredo or the RGV. The south Texas border region is much off the beaten path, and very mono-cultural. El Paso on the other hand, is on I-10 (a very major trans continental highway). Also Ft Bliss is a large, and getting larger, military installation.

These two things make El Paso more diverse and up to date than most other border regions.
Folks don't realize just how different El Paso is from the rest of Texas, or even from the rest of the US. It's a Texas city, but it's...not. It has more in common with cities like Tucson and Albuquerque, but is a little more rough around the edges, has a longer history, and has to deal with the complexities of the US-Mexico region more so than any other town on the US-Mexico border.

It has very little in common with other Texas cities with its culture, climate, and environment as well, and that includes the cities in the RGV. El Paso's nothing like Laredo, for example. El Paso is...El Paso. It's in its own class, strangely enough. Similar to New Orleans in a sense--only without all the crime and humidity.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:15 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanWest View Post
.........It's in its own class, strangely enough. Similar to New Orleans in a sense--only without all the crime and humidity.
NO? How in the world is NO even remotely similar to EP?

Old 08-07-2008, 09:20 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
El Paso doesn't compare one bit to New Orleans and either does Tucson and Albuquerque to which you refer EP being "in common" with. I'll go with that comment though..EP is similar to Tucson and Albuquerque.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:16 AM

160 posts, read 638,428 times
The closest thing El Paso/Juarez can be related to is that it is an overgrown version of Presidio/Ojinaga.

Culturally, Del Rio/Ciudad Acuna would be a good runner up, with Eagle Pass/Piedras Negra, and Laredo/Nuevo Laredo following suit.

Geographically, Presidio/Ojinaga is the closest relative, with Albuquerque being a good runner up.

I can not see one similarity to New Orleans in El Paso.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
NO? How in the world is NO even remotely similar to EP?
I never said anything about the cultures being similar, but its situation of uniqueness. Please don't read anything into the comments that aren't there.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
El Paso doesn't compare one bit to New Orleans and either does Tucson and Albuquerque to which you refer EP being "in common" with. I'll go with that comment though..EP is similar to Tucson and Albuquerque.
Refer to my reply to Cathy4017.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingHome2TX View Post
The closest thing El Paso/Juarez can be related to is that it is an overgrown version of Presidio/Ojinaga.

Culturally, Del Rio/Ciudad Acuna would be a good runner up, with Eagle Pass/Piedras Negra, and Laredo/Nuevo Laredo following suit.

Geographically, Presidio/Ojinaga is the closest relative, with Albuquerque being a good runner up.

I can not see one similarity to New Orleans in El Paso.
Once again, read my comments more clearly, please. Places can be similar in situations, but that doesn't make them similar culturally.

This is basic reading, folks.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:50 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Quote:
Once again, read my comments more clearly, please. Places can be similar in situations, but that doesn't make them similar culturally.

This is basic reading, folks.
I didn't say you said the cultures were similar. None of it is similar to me, basic reading or not.

Last edited by Canine*Castle; 08-07-2008 at 12:12 PM..

Old 08-07-2008, 04:11 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
I never said anything about the cultures being similar, but its situation of uniqueness. Please don't read anything into the comments that aren't there.
I didn't mention anything about culture. I just asked you how you can even begin to think that NO and EP are similar in any ways at all.

They're not.

NO, IMHO, is a dirty, crime-infested rat-hole swamp whose primary feature--the French Quarter, with its architecture/food/music--is the only things worth visiting for a very short period of time. And that was BEFORE Katrina. I can't imagine what a pit it must be now, but I won't ever find out, thank God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas