U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 04:39 PM

4,525 posts, read 6,356,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie B F View Post
I've read multiple threads regarding utility companies and high cost of electricity.

I thought I'd ask a different question.

Is there something in the works that will help decrease high cost of electricity for the state of Texas in the near future?
Lotta bs already building in this thread . . .

But back towards your question regarding non-bs and the key terms "Texas in the near future" --

The general market Texas electricity rates have been driven up by lying, cheating and stealing by the top end corporate folks as much as real fuel costs, and like Willy observed, they are not going to easily reduce those rates. However, there is much you can do get yourself at least shielded from this "in the near future," as your question states.

Like gasoline, electricity is cheaper in some parts of Texas than others. County and rural co-ops tend have lower prices than the large market areas. If you are in the economic "kill zone" of the main population centers, instead you will conned into dealing with one of the various front retailers all selling the same product from practically the same sources at the same inflated prices under a flurry of various marketing plans and scams. Welcome to Texas Big Bidness -- Of the Corporation, By the Corporation, and For the Corporation.

On the more practical level, maybe think of this like the folks that buy their gasoline on a monthly budget rather than considering the day-by-day listed price of gasoline. If one drives less or even little to stay under that budget, the meaning of the price of gas means less and less -- even to the point of meaning little to nothing.

You may have noticed as more Americans have now chosen to drive less, we are experiencing something called in the market "demand destruction," so much to the point some supplies of oil are now going surplus and the market price of oil is coming down. But for those who choose to drive less, they already are saving and saving big whether the price comes down or not.

Some of that holds true on the consumer side electricity, as well. If you choose to use less, you will spend less on it. Higher the price goes, the wider the margin on the relative saving goes. Again as Willy observed, the actual rate is not likely to go down, unlike gas, but your use can, and so your actual overall cost can go down, even with high or increasing rates.

Reducing your demand is even where ALL various Renewable Energy consultants I help start with for the customer -- #1 -- Reduce Your Use. (btw, I am an EE that works both the Big Boy utilities and small folks on the supply and use of electricity). After the use comes down, then it is much easier to bridge the gap into taking you away from having to buy electricity from the grid. And that is not a bad place to be. As with gasoline, it sure makes you care less about the price when you no longer have to buy it.

There is a ton and a half of information on the web about this, so I will not bore you with those details, unless you want to discuss your specific application. It is both possible and practical to reduce your monthly use to an average of nothing -- called Net Zero -- here is just one sample -- AndersonSargent, Jim Sargent, Vickie Anderson, Green Home Builders, Build Energy Efficient, Energy Efficiency (broken link)

(btw, I have no business contacts or association with AndersonSargent)

And from that level you can add windmills, more Solar PV, and (my current favorite) Solar Thermal Electric generation (which also gives heat, A/c, and hot water as side benefits and live in surplus. Which is also a very nice place to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 07:18 PM

4,608 posts, read 5,091,005 times
Quote:
Reducing your demand is even where ALL various Renewable Energy consultants I help start with for the customer
-- #1 -- Reduce Your Use
This is the part everyone needs to work on.

I've found that using fans, strategically placed to keep the air moving, my most recent electricity bill (yesterday) is among the 'moderate' statements I have received over the years. I was expecting something a bit extreme. Imagine my surprise.

I keep two fans running in my den/dine/kitchen area to keep the air circulating. I keep the temp between 82 and 85 degrees. The key is to keep the air moving. This means the air conditioner runs less often and it's that ol' AC that'll eat yer lunch.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:57 PM

43,261 posts, read 47,151,929 times
We have regulated energy still were I live and its still high. Looking at teh bill its the fuel charge that has reallt goneup like evryhting else. We need nucklear as countries like farnce get 78% of their electric from nuclear now.The nuclear plants we hyave have a great safety record as does those in other western nations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas