Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 11:06 PM

196 posts, read 640,557 times

Advertisements

Why leave Texas? Here are some reasons.

Many, many states with jaw dropping beauty that Texas can't compare to.
Much lower crime.
Lower cost of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 11:10 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,275,575 times
ILNC cries when she leaves NC. Bellestar kisses the Texas ground upon arriving back to Texas. So, everyone has a love of a place and its surrourdings, people, and the like and expresses it in different ways.

As Bellestar says, "It's a Texas thing and you wouldn't understand it." I must say I surely don't to the extreme about which I read on the forums, but I had a brother-in-law who spoke as people do on the Texas forum. I never understood his reasoning either. He was a good guy, but so very .......... Texan.

If I ever leave Texas, I'm sure there will be things I miss just like I still miss in CA after 30 years. I have many memories here as I did in CA. I cried for six years off and on when I left CA and sometimes, I still do. I'm sure I'd cry if I left Texas too, but not because of the place so much as leaving behind memories and dear people. I just get really nostalgic at times and I express it by crying. I hope that makes some sense.

Last edited by Canine*Castle; 08-06-2008 at 11:31 PM..

Old 08-07-2008, 07:04 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,278,166 times
Born and raised in S Texas left at age 34 for husbands job advancement and not to sure if we will go back. I miss my parents but don't really miss Texas and the humidity.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:11 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
oh and i also moved to North Shore Kaua'i, Hawaii once. and came back to Texas. over 40 years of visiting family on Kaua'i, and knowing every single square mile of that island, as well as any local, i thought i would NOT be one of those mainlanders who just cant handle the "island fever" or "Hawaii culture", moving to "Paradise" disillusioned.........once again, couldn't get back to Texas quick enough. Texas is PARADISE compared to Hawaii. the ONE good thing that came out of that move, was that never a day goes by, since then, that i envy my family living in Hawaii. (as i used to do).
now, will i continue visiting/vacationing there? sure. great place to vacation. but THAT'S IT.
Yep.......I have been to HI only once (Oahu, Maui, Hawaii; didn't have time to see Kauai). It was in early December, and I was SO glad to get home to WT! I have never been back, and don't plan to ever go back. I can't imagine being stuck there. It's just so overrated. Everybody should see it once, but that's quite enough, LOL!!

Old 08-07-2008, 09:18 AM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastender67 View Post
I love north Carolina said:
I haven't left yet, I look forward to day I can move because of the weather, I HATE the weather here. And I just prefer the scenery in East Tenn and Western NC more. I'm a native Texan, but leaving will be very easy for me.

and I love north Carolina said:
I love north Carolina said I guess I'll be the first to leave and be happy

and I love north Carolina said:
I love north Carolina said: I really don't believe this will happen to me. I don't feel like Texas is my home, I cry when I have to leave North Carolina, that is my home now. Texas is not for everyone and sure isn't for me

Then, will you just GO ALREADY?
Would you like to make a donation to my moving fund?????

Old 08-07-2008, 09:56 AM

160 posts, read 638,364 times
I left Texas unwillingly as a child because my parents seemed to have the notion that a Montana summer was cool compared to a Texas summer. (It was 5 degrees hotter there yesterday than it was down here.)

After spending years stuck there, the finances, the disgust at losing everything important in my life, and the lack of further commitments all fell into the appropriate places and I got back to my native land.

I do not care what everyone says about Texas lacking in the beauty department. Beauty is a subjective subject that is in the eye of the beholder. I have found Texas to hold every bit of beauty I seek in life.

I was in an area of Montana that was proclaimed as a beautiful heaven. It sure felt like a drab, miserable hell to me. I don't care if Bill Gates thinks its good enough to build a multi-billion dollar home a few miles away, because I wouldn't waste a dime on owning a residence in my name there. I can't handle a year round brown, barren wasteland with a few overgrown rocks piled up to 11,000 feet.

I also found that I can not relate to the people elsewhere. I was spoiled, because as a child, I got to live amongst the greatest group of people in the world. Phrases like, "yes ma'am/sir", "thank you", ect. do not extend to Yankee-land.

I was born in Texas, taken away because I had no choice at all, and I will die in complete peace here, because I see no further need to leave the borders of this great Republic. (And, yes when I came back, I did literally kiss the dirt under the 'Entering Texas' sign on Highway 285.)

Old 08-07-2008, 10:04 AM

I don't think one day of hotter weather in MT constitutes what TX gets especially since yesterday was cooler in most places due to Eduardo. I've never been to Montana, so I can't really say anything about it's beauty.

Kissing the dirt.....You really need to put that on YouTube. That's like putting Texas soil under the table in the delivery room when a baby is born out of state. It's just so bizarre and extreme, but obviously it makes people happy.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Would you like to make a donation to my moving fund?????
Love it!!

Old 08-07-2008, 10:24 AM

160 posts, read 638,364 times
Last year with exception of a few days, the entire summer in Montana was substantially hotter than South Texas. I remember days of 100+ degrees there, where it was 80 down here. It is not that uncommon for it to be as hot or hotter there. The humidity isn't there, but I am not talking heat index, I'm strictly refering to straight temperatures.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:27 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,715,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingHome2TX View Post
I left Texas unwillingly as a child because my parents seemed to have the notion that a Montana summer was cool compared to a Texas summer. (It was 5 degrees hotter there yesterday than it was down here.)
I just got back from MT, visited a couple times... and it's quite a stretch to lead people to believe that MT summers aren't cooler. Sure the high can get into the 90s... but at least in the western part of the state it's not unusual to see frost at night even in the summer.

I still wouldn't want to live there... outside of the 8 weeks of good weather, you have to contend with all of the miserable weather. Then factor in insanely high housing costs... and an overall lack of anything to do other than stare at the mountains or go fly fishing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas