Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Seeking opinions on why people dislike Texas, pros and cons of Texas, reasons not to move to Texas, disgruntled transplants, unhappy Yankees

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 07:58 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
wow i am kinda surprised about those perceiving Central Texas small rural towns as rude. i have been here a year and it is very much like the small North Texas towns that I have spent a good majority of my life in.
i have found the small rural Central Texas towns where I spend most of my time when I ain't at work...Lampasas, Gatesville, Kempner, Hamilton, to be very friendly, warm, inviting, cozy, down-to-earth.
love it here! will never leave!
Well, Central Texas covers a pretty big area and I've lived 30 years in one rural Central Texas town. Many people are very nice, but there are some who are so rude, arrogant, controlling, and have the prideful (aka boastful)attitudes I, for one, do not like. They are also backbiting, gossipy (whisper-whisper), and pretty much as phony as they come.

The example I wrote above about my daughter working at McD's but going to school at Baylor pretty much tells a lot about a place and the people. This was not a one time happening. Of course, not everyone who stopped there was from our small town, but I can assure you he was one of those prideful people whose face lighted up when she mentioned BU. Gag!!

There was one guy though that lived in the town and had previously lived in Dallas. He came for an ice cream cone and when my sweet teen-aged daughter gave it to him, he said, "This cost $.75??!! You can shove it right up your f..ing *ss. Talk about disgusting. He was actually the Chief of Police in the town although he didn't recognize my daughter, she surely knew who he was and then realized he was not only the C of P who deserves no respect anymore, but a disgusting pig who portrayed himself as a fine family man and good citizen. Phony to the max.

Her life at McDonald's was something else, but she is all the better for it today. It taught her many of life's lessons, the good and the bad. She even wrote a paper in college about what it was like with the people in the world of McD's. I admire her so for the strength she had to put up with all of this for seven years. She began working there in high school and continued through her four years at BU as well as working other jobs plus McD's. She then went on to DBU and received her Master's in Counseling. Hmmmm, do you think McD's and the people she came across helped her in making the decision of what field to pursue?

I worked in retail in a fairly small town not far from home. The same kind of nonsense happened there. People would make my young employees break down and cry because of they way they talked to them. Maybe they were all just so insecure about themselves and wanted to make someone else suffer too, so they picked on the young ones. I'm not saying they didn't pull the same stuff with me, but I could "take it" and just wanted to laugh in their faces. It was really funny when the richies from Dallas and oh trust me, they let us know they were from Dallas, acted like my employees were their slaves.

No thanks; I don't do well around people like those I've mentioned above.

Last edited by Canine*Castle; 08-20-2008 at 08:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 08:02 PM

I don't get this however many generation Texan stuff either. I have never heard of a saying like that until I started reading on this forum. Is it supposed to have some sort of significance for others to appreciate? I'm being serious and am not trying to be rude; I just don't get it as it's quite curious to me.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:34 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,486,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaipur View Post
I am a 8th generation Texan and I have lived many, many, many places. California, New York, Florida, Washington etc. I have found that like every where and everything each place or thing has its pros and cons but since this topic was made especially about the cons I will as a 8th generation Texan that loves Texas tell you about them.

1.Ego's. Get over your self. I don't care how much of a whatever you think you are. Texans have tendencies to have dreadful egos. It really ticks me off.

3.Stubborn Hard Heads. Once again, get over yourself! I don't care what you did in your life or who you voted for. Get past your false pride.
4.Heat. Texas is very hot and after a while in the Summer some years I can't bare it.
Texans are stubborn with big ego's?!? Get outta here!!

I think Family Guy said it best
here.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:54 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,939 times
well i must admit i am very curious about what town! or at least a "hint" as to what county!!
and by the way....did yall at least email or write to the Chief of Police regarding his behavior? or write to the local newspaper or TV station? that is unacceptable. is he still Police Chief?? i think it is horrible. he should be role modeling good behavior and social skills, ESPECIALLY with youth!!! shame on him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Well, Central Texas covers a pretty big area and I've lived 30 years in one rural Central Texas town. Many people are very nice, but there are some who are so rude, arrogant, controlling, and have the prideful (aka boastful)attitudes I, for one, do not like. They are also backbiting, gossipy (whisper-whisper), and pretty much as phony as they come.

The example I wrote above about my daughter working at McD's but going to school at Baylor pretty much tells a lot about a place and the people. This was not a one time happening. Of course, not everyone who stopped there was from our small town, but I can assure you he was one of those prideful people whose face lighted up when she mentioned BU. Gag!!

There was one guy though that lived in the town and had previously lived in Dallas. He came for an ice cream cone and when my sweet teen-aged daughter gave it to him, he said, "This cost $.75??!! You can shove it right up your f..ing *ss. Talk about disgusting. He was actually the Chief of Police in the town although he didn't recognize my daughter, she surely knew who he was and then realized he was not only the C of P who deserves no respect anymore, but a disgusting pig who portrayed himself as a fine family man and good citizen. Phony to the max.

Her life at McDonald's was something else, but she is all the better for it today. It taught her many of life's lessons, the good and the bad. She even wrote a paper in college about what it was like with the people in the world of McD's. I admire her so for the strength she had to put up with all of this for seven years. She began working there in high school and continued through her four years at BU as well as working other jobs plus McD's. She then went on to DBU and received her Master's in Counseling. Hmmmm, do you think McD's and the people she came across helped her in making the decision of what field to pursue?

I worked in retail in a fairly small town not far from home. The same kind of nonsense happened there. People would make my young employees break down and cry because of they way they talked to them. Maybe they were all just so insecure about themselves and wanted to make someone else suffer too, so they picked on the young ones. I'm not saying they didn't pull the same stuff with me, but I could "take it" and just wanted to laugh in their faces. It was really funny when the richies from Dallas and oh trust me, they let us know they were from Dallas, acted like my employees were their slaves.

No thanks; I don't do well around people like those I've mentioned above.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
well i must admit i am very curious about what town! or at least a "hint" as to what county!!
and by the way....did yall at least email or write to the Chief of Police regarding his behavior? or write to the local newspaper or TV station? that is unacceptable. is he still Police Chief?? i think it is horrible. he should be role modeling good behavior and social skills, ESPECIALLY with youth!!! shame on him
No, I didn't do anything. I was really "dumb" back then and just let it go. Trust me, I've kicked myself a million times over again for not taking action. No, he isn't the C of P any longer. This occured about 19 years ago. I think things like this do happen in small towns and schools and big cities too. It's very sad. This was in Hill County.

You know, I have to say you're probably one of the nicest Texans that posts on these threads. I believe you're really a true-blue type of person. There are others too, of course.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:31 PM

aww thanks! i am a dog lover. i havent met too many folks who are dog lovers and are NOT nice people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
No, I didn't do anything. I was really "dumb" back then and just let it go. Trust me, I've kicked myself a million times over again for not taking action. No, he isn't the C of P any longer. This occured about 19 years ago. I think things like this do happen in small towns and schools and big cities too. It's very sad. This was in Hill County.

You know, I have to say you're probably one of the nicest Texans that posts on these threads. I believe you're really a true-blue type of person. There are others too, of course.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:10 AM

Quote:
aww thanks! i am a dog lover. i havent met too many folks who are dog lovers and are NOT nice people!
Good point, and I believe that as well.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:08 AM

39 posts, read 124,604 times
Default Right on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
We see the laws and the attitude in that state, we find it appalling, we don't want it hear, and "Californians" bear the brunt of that when they move here en masse and enough of them start talking about what's wrong with Texas - we don't, don't, DON'T want Texas to be Californicated.
Couldn't have said it better Tex H. L. Texas certainly doesn't want or need to be "Californicated" like we have in Colorado. They have totally changed the landscape of Colorado politics, morals, education, environment, and overall common sense. We were once a proud, non- PC, we can do it state until the great California Escape! Don't let it happen to your state.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:15 AM

yep what a shame. i think Montana's getting Californicated a bit too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearJammerOne View Post
Couldn't have said it better Tex H. L. Texas certainly doesn't want or need to be "Californicated" like we have in Colorado. They have totally changed the landscape of Colorado politics, morals, education, environment, and overall common sense. We were once a proud, non- PC, we can do it state until the great California Escape! Don't let it happen to your state.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:28 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Hm. How about the ones who let them poop everywhere and don't pick it up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas