U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

Seeking opinions on why people dislike Texas, pros and cons of Texas, reasons not to move to Texas, disgruntled transplants, unhappy Yankees

 
 
Old 08-21-2008, 01:46 PM
 
Location: The Big D
14,874 posts, read 23,992,692 times
Reputation: 5787

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Hm. How about the ones who let them poop everywhere and don't pick it up?
I don't call those types TRUE dog lovers.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-21-2008, 03:38 PM
 
Location: California
412 posts, read 1,232,749 times
Reputation: 179
Quote:
I don't get this however many generation Texan stuff either. I have never heard of a saying like that until I started reading on this forum. Is it supposed to have some sort of significance for others to appreciate? I'm being serious and am not trying to be rude; I just don't get it as it's quite curious to me.
It really bothers me. I really only used it because it seems that when you don't some people will say "well how many years have you lived in Texas?" or "well I bet your family is not originally from Texas!" and I hate it when people make assumptions like that because they don't agree with you so I just used it. It really really bothers me though. I don't think it matters how long you have lived anywhere to have an opinion unless you only lived there for as short as a week which is unrealistic.
Quote:
Texans are stubborn with big ego's?!? Get outta here!!
I think Family Guy said it best here.
Lol, thanks.

Last edited by Jaipur; 08-21-2008 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: Typo
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2008, 07:52 PM
 
5,031 posts, read 8,054,721 times
Reputation: 2309
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Hm. How about the ones who let them poop everywhere and don't pick it up?
Well, they still may be nice, but they're definitely slobby and discourteous to the wonderful human race.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2008, 09:49 PM
 
Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker;)
4,085 posts, read 8,595,877 times
Reputation: 1859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I don't get this however many generation Texan stuff either. I have never heard of a saying like that until I started reading on this forum. Is it supposed to have some sort of significance for others to appreciate? I'm being serious and am not trying to be rude; I just don't get it as it's quite curious to me.
It's like street cred, only I guess you could call it state cred. It helps lend credence to your argument among other Texans. If you don't let them know where you're from and how much of a Texan you are, they might start looking at you funny and dismiss your opinion out of hand. God forbid they think I was the daughter of some transplant from Ohio... or worse... Connecticut!

I'm surprised you have to ask this. And you call yourself a Texan? Didn't anybody give you a manual?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2008, 11:41 PM
 
219 posts, read 567,709 times
Reputation: 57
You won't have to worry about Texas being taken over by Californians. It will be taken over by illegals. I mean it's pretty sad when you go to Wal-Mart and the signs are in English AND Spanish. What is even worse is when you go up to someone at HEB or WalMart and ask for help and they know NO ENGLISH.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2008, 07:31 AM
 
5,031 posts, read 8,054,721 times
Reputation: 2309
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
It's like street cred, only I guess you could call it state cred. It helps lend credence to your argument among other Texans. If you don't let them know where you're from and how much of a Texan you are, they might start looking at you funny and dismiss your opinion out of hand. God forbid they think I was the daughter of some transplant from Ohio... or worse... Connecticut!

I'm surprised you have to ask this. And you call yourself a Texan? Didn't anybody give you a manual?

Where did I say I was a Texan? I am not, never have been, and never will be. I'm pleased to say my mother was born in New York and my dad, Germany. Wow! Does that make me a Yank-Kraut? I guess it does.

Thank you for explaining what it means; I now know it's more corny that I actually thought before reading your reasoning of "why."
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2008, 06:42 PM
Status: " On and off line interchangeably" (set 14 days ago)
 
9,824 posts, read 11,360,258 times
Reputation: 5054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaipur View Post
I am a 8th generation Texan and I have lived many, many, many places. California, New York, Florida, Washington etc. I have found that like every where and everything each place or thing has its pros and cons but since this topic was made especially about the cons I will as a 8th generation Texan that loves Texas tell you about them.
Hmmmmm. I have read your critisism, but before commenting I just have to ask...

You preface by saying you are an 8th generation Texan? I am a fourth and it traces back to about 1870 something. So if you are an 8th I would guess that your faimly lines in Texas go back to around the 1600's or so? Can you share a bit more about this? I don't dispute your word, of course, but even the most proud Daughters/Sons of Texas lineage don't claim to go back more than 7...if that. Point is, yours is eight? I personally would like to hear more as to how such connects with Texas...

Quote:
1.Ego's. Get over your self. I don't care how much of a whatever you think you are. Texans have tendencies to have dreadful egos. It really ticks me off.
2.Gossip. Texans in smaller towns tend to gossip about the dumbest most inmature topics I think I have ever heard of, we're not in Middle School anymore people.
3.Stubborn Hard Heads. Once again, get over yourself! I don't care what you did in your life or who you voted for. Get past your false pride.
4.Heat. Texas is very hot and after a while in the Summer some years I can't bare it.
5.Critical Pessimism. How dare you say anything about the appearance or experience of anyone just because they are slightly different and are not from the same place as you. Maybe instead of telling other people about how they should look and what they should do you should look in the mirror.
Those are just my top five and they are in no order. I have many more pet peeves about Texas but I feel that is a good start.
.

Here is something to be noted as well. You present yourself as an 8th generation Texas (which exceeds anything I have heard to date), yet in your assessment and critisism, your use of pronouns don't suppport your claim.

Example:
Quote:
1.Ego's. Get over your self. I don't care how much of a whatever you think you are. Texans have tendencies to have dreadful egos. It really ticks me off.
"Your self"? That speaks quite a bit. A Texan (or whatever member of whatever family and felt themselves such) would have said "get over ourselves" or something like that.

And "Texans have tendancies to have dreadful egos"? Well, if you really are a Texan and felt "dreadfully" about it, it seems to stand to reason that you would have qualified with "we" Texans....etc...etc. In a possesesive plural sense. Or so I would think.

Instead, IMHO, you presented your case from a second person point and, well, again, lets put it this way. I don't believe you are what you claim to be.

I will apologize publicly if I am wrong. But I don't think I am.

Last edited by TexasReb; 08-22-2008 at 06:51 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2008, 07:11 PM
Status: " On and off line interchangeably" (set 14 days ago)
 
9,824 posts, read 11,360,258 times
Reputation: 5054
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbain View Post
"Believe it or not, Texans are the most tolerant people one will ever meet"....that is a bunch of bull...when I first moved to TX...people cut me down for being born in California, for living in other places I lived in, for putting ketchup on my damn hamburger...they said I was weird because I used ketchup instead of mayo...I could go on and on...now keep in mind all my experience was in SOUTH TEXAS...not the entire state...there are good people and bad people in every state......and I have done a lot of living and visiting of many states during my time...there is nothing wrong with being proud but thinking you are the best at everything it total bull s _ _ t. NO state is the best at everything. Every state has pros and cons.
Hi John...and I was the one who first made that statement you quoted. I stand by it. Let me hit this one a bit...

That is, "Texans are the most tolerant people one will ever meet"

You call it "bull". I call it "fact". C'mon...are you really ascribing intolerance as the appropriate label to as how folks treated you when you moved down here? Sorry, but that someone may have made fun of your accent or that you called coke a pop just doesnt qualify.

My g/f is not from the South and she and I make fun of each others accents and ways and such all the time. We don't take it personal. It is an intrinsic part of the relationship. My own kids are half-yankee! LOL

But as it is, what bothers me...baffles me in fact...is that Texas pride bothers so many others...

Last edited by TexasReb; 08-22-2008 at 07:40 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2008, 08:00 PM
 
Location: Your Mom's House
1,251 posts, read 2,286,930 times
Reputation: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Here is something to be noted as well. You present yourself as an 8th generation Texas (which exceeds anything I have heard to date), yet in your assessment and critisism, your use of pronouns don't suppport your claim.

Example:

"Your self"? That speaks quite a bit. A Texan (or whatever member of whatever family and felt themselves such) would have said "get over ourselves" or something like that.

And "Texans have tendancies to have dreadful egos"? Well, if you really are a Texan and felt "dreadfully" about it, it seems to stand to reason that you would have qualified with "we" Texans....etc...etc. In a possesesive plural sense. Or so I would think.

Instead, IMHO, you presented your case from a second person point and, well, again, lets put it this way. I don't believe you are what you claim to be.

I will apologize publicly if I am wrong. But I don't think I am.
When you have nothing else, attack their grammar.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2008, 08:48 PM
 
219 posts, read 567,709 times
Reputation: 57
I spent 20 years in TX and I stand by that they are NOT the most tolerant people. I have travelled the USA and lived in other states and found other places more tolerant.

Nothing wrong with pride but when you have so much pride you can't admit faults then that is a problem.

When you have so much pride that you think that everything in your state is better then every other state that is a problem.

That is all I am saying. That video of family guy is DEAD ON for South Texas. Can't say if it is for the rest of the state though.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top