U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

Seeking opinions on why people dislike Texas, pros and cons of Texas, reasons not to move to Texas, disgruntled transplants, unhappy Yankees

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-23-2008, 11:24 AM
Status: "Semi-retired. working some, taking off some." (set 6 days ago)
 
9,801 posts, read 10,997,362 times
Reputation: 4999
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
The person that originally authored that email might want to look into this claim!

Yes, this is true, Seattle. In fact, see? I am one of those prideful Texans who can actually acknowledge that some things ala' urban legend about Texas are myth. In fact, it makes me appreciate my native state all the more, if that makes sense.

Another that seems to pop up from time to time is that Texas was the only state which retains the right to secede. Not withstanding that I don't believe the "right" to secession is dependent on legalities (that is to say, I believe secession is a natural right of a free people), but there is actually no such clause in the Annexation Treaty with the United States which explicitly spells such out.

The only one I really DO know for sure is valid, is that Texas does retain the right to divide itself into three to five seperate states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-24-2008, 05:10 PM
 
Location: San Diego, California
196 posts, read 426,451 times
Reputation: 108
Wow. This thread has taken off.

This is a bit off topic. Ok, ok...way off topic but maybe I should put up a website where everyone can go and post their best pics of Texas and then compare those pics to other states that others have posted and then see if they that think Texas is the still most beautiful state. Would be interesting if they still stand by that when they see the comparison. If they still think it is then that is their pride stepping in where they can't admit it when it is right in front of their eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2008, 05:13 PM
 
Location: Seattle Area
3,274 posts, read 4,269,869 times
Reputation: 3067
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Yes, this is true, Seattle. In fact, see? I am one of those prideful Texans who can actually acknowledge that some things ala' urban legend about Texas are myth. In fact, it makes me appreciate my native state all the more, if that makes sense.

Another that seems to pop up from time to time is that Texas was the only state which retains the right to secede. Not withstanding that I don't believe the "right" to secession is dependent on legalities (that is to say, I believe secession is a natural right of a free people), but there is actually no such clause in the Annexation Treaty with the United States which explicitly spells such out.

The only one I really DO know for sure is valid, is that Texas does retain the right to divide itself into three to five seperate states.
Makes perfect sense to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2008, 05:19 PM
 
5,031 posts, read 7,832,166 times
Reputation: 2302
..........Lutarian said: Wow. This thread has taken off. This is a bit off topic. Ok, ok...way off topic but maybe I should put up a website where everyone can go and post their best pics of Texas and then compare those pics to other states that others have posted and then see if they that think Texas is the still most beautiful state. Would be interesting if they still stand by that when they see the comparison. If they still think it is then that is their pride stepping in where they can't admit it when it is right in front of their eyes. ..........


I posted some on the "Rural and Small Town Living" forum because even though I don't like a lot of things about Texas, people do get the wrong idea about what it looks like. It kind of embarrasses me so often times, I'll tell my friends about the prettier areas and that it's not all cactus, tumbleweeds, and flat. Yes, some of the state is quite unattractive, but I believe you'll find that in many states, not all though. Of course, my photos are just rural photos, but here is the link to the ones I posted. One poster from beautiful WI said that he never knew Texas was so beautiful.

After you click on the link, you'll have to scroll up a bit to see the photos I posted.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/rural...ey#post4803135
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2008, 05:54 PM
 
Location: San Diego, California
196 posts, read 426,451 times
Reputation: 108
Great pics Canine.

I am not saying the entire state has bad scenery. The area of those pics is nice. I have been through part of that area. What I am saying is that there are states that have just jaw dropping scenery through most of the state that Texas just can't compare to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2008, 06:21 PM
 
5,031 posts, read 7,832,166 times
Reputation: 2302
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutarian View Post
Great pics Canine.

I am not saying the entire state has bad scenery. The area of those pics is nice. I have been through part of that area. What I am saying is that there are states that have just jaw dropping scenery through most of the state that Texas just can't compare to.
Oh, I know that wasn't what you were saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2008, 07:41 PM
 
1,994 posts, read 2,656,068 times
Reputation: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
You gotta be kiddin', JA? Split an infinitive? The only time I ever did that was when I also was a bit careless with a dangling participle...
Never dangle a participle in public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2008, 07:55 PM
 
Location: Texas
3,494 posts, read 9,541,641 times
Reputation: 1265
i looked at those pics..........wow the one with bluebonnet fields dusted with snow was awesome, as was Lake Whitney!!! Texas IS God's country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
..........Lutarian said: Wow. This thread has taken off. This is a bit off topic. Ok, ok...way off topic but maybe I should put up a website where everyone can go and post their best pics of Texas and then compare those pics to other states that others have posted and then see if they that think Texas is the still most beautiful state. Would be interesting if they still stand by that when they see the comparison. If they still think it is then that is their pride stepping in where they can't admit it when it is right in front of their eyes. ..........


I posted some on the "Rural and Small Town Living" forum because even though I don't like a lot of things about Texas, people do get the wrong idea about what it looks like. It kind of embarrasses me so often times, I'll tell my friends about the prettier areas and that it's not all cactus, tumbleweeds, and flat. Yes, some of the state is quite unattractive, but I believe you'll find that in many states, not all though. Of course, my photos are just rural photos, but here is the link to the ones I posted. One poster from beautiful WI said that he never knew Texas was so beautiful.

After you click on the link, you'll have to scroll up a bit to see the photos I posted.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/rural...ey#post4803135
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2008, 10:32 PM
 
Location: San Diego, California
196 posts, read 426,451 times
Reputation: 108
wow belle..calm down now......you can see that and even more inpiring scenery other places besides TX......those pics were very nice though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2008, 12:27 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,025 posts, read 7,767,901 times
Reputation: 4811
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutarian View Post
Wow. This thread has taken off.

This is a bit off topic. Ok, ok...way off topic but maybe I should put up a website where everyone can go and post their best pics of Texas and then compare those pics to other states that others have posted and then see if they that think Texas is the still most beautiful state. Would be interesting if they still stand by that when they see the comparison. If they still think it is then that is their pride stepping in where they can't admit it when it is right in front of their eyes.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top