Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Seeking opinions on why people dislike Texas, pros and cons of Texas, reasons not to move to Texas, disgruntled transplants, unhappy Yankees

Old 08-14-2008, 10:03 PM

39 posts, read 124,639 times

Advertisements

Excuse me for jumping in here, but I have a vested interest in Texas myself. The thing about this thread that struck me was that even though I am from Colorado, I have made comments on the Colorado Page about the California Invasion into my state and I get reprimanded by the admin! My point is...if you are a transplant into Texas and don't like it there, or if you are even a native Texan and don't like it there...there is a simple solution. This is America, you can move away as quickly as you want! I personally love the Lone Star. Sure...it may not have the mountain beauty that we have, or the great elk hunting, but I admire Texas for the instilling of state pride in each resident. It would behoove other states to take that example and emulate it with its own citizens! If you aren't proud of where you came from, don't villify Texans for being proud...they have reason to be.
Nuff Said!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 11:20 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,370,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearJammerOne View Post
Excuse me for jumping in here, but I have a vested interest in Texas myself. The thing about this thread that struck me was that even though I am from Colorado, I have made comments on the Colorado Page about the California Invasion into my state and I get reprimanded by the admin! My point is...if you are a transplant into Texas and don't like it there, or if you are even a native Texan and don't like it there...there is a simple solution. This is America, you can move away as quickly as you want! I personally love the Lone Star. Sure...it may not have the mountain beauty that we have, or the great elk hunting, but I admire Texas for the instilling of state pride in each resident. It would behoove other states to take that example and emulate it with its own citizens! If you aren't proud of where you came from, don't villify Texans for being proud...they have reason to be.
Nuff Said!
Great post!

Old 08-19-2008, 09:52 PM

219 posts, read 810,995 times
"Believe it or not, Texans are the most tolerant people one will ever meet"....that is a bunch of bull...when I first moved to TX...people cut me down for being born in California, for living in other places I lived in, for putting ketchup on my damn hamburger...they said I was weird because I used ketchup instead of mayo...I could go on and on...now keep in mind all my experience was in SOUTH TEXAS...not the entire state...there are good people and bad people in every state......and I have done a lot of living and visiting of many states during my time...there is nothing wrong with being proud but thinking you are the best at everything it total bull s _ _ t. NO state is the best at everything. Every state has pros and cons.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:02 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,275,065 times
My experience is in central Texas and tolerance is not prevalent in my neck of the wide-open spaces either for the most part anyway. Rural small town where people are impatient and quite rude.

And regarding pride mentioned.......Too much pride is not good; most people are aware of that.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:35 AM

219 posts, read 810,995 times
Central Texas also? Very interesting.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:06 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,392,902 times
Yes, that IS interesting, given that I live in Central Texas and have for some decades (while also living in other parts of the state), and my experience of it is quite different.

We do all, of course, bring a bit of ourselves to our experiences of areas, in Texas and elsewhere. No personal experience with others exists in a vacuum made up only of them and not us.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:14 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,690,009 times
I live in Central Texas too. I don't see this either. Growing up in rural sort of south east texas, I didn't find the people in my town impatient and rude. In fact, they were pretty laid back. The only thing I did notice was the distinction made between the "haves" and "have nots". Although, the haves weren't necessarily super rich and the have nots weren't really dirt poor either. The "haves" tended to be local business owners and the "have nots" were employees.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:20 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,690,009 times
Believe it or not, Texans are the most tolerant people one will ever meet"....that is a bunch of bull...when I first moved to TX...people cut me down for being born in California, for living in other places I lived in, for putting ketchup on my damn hamburger...they said I was weird because I used ketchup instead of mayo...I could go on and on...now keep in mind all my experience was in SOUTH TEXAS

This seems kind of weird to me too. Not saying noone gave you a hard time, because I believe there may have been one or two people who did it, but I seriously doubt every person you came across did this. My mom grew up in Sinton/Corpus Christi and LOVES ketchup on burgers and never told stories about being harassed for it. My dad grew up in Pleasanton and is a hot sauce fanatic. I'm a mustard person myself. And aside from a few people saying, "Yuk, I don't like mustard" I haven't heard a cross word.

I think people from California are just targets anywhere they go, doesn't matter what State it is. I don't know why this is because on a one to one basis, I haven't met one I didn't like. It must just be that people see the uber militant liberal side of things there, and all the intrusive laws, etc...that they don't like and don't want in their states and are afraid that with all the people moving from there they will want to bring the same intrusive laws with them.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:26 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,487,421 times
Honestly, people who have been here for decades (or their entire lives for that matter) probably shouldn't post their experiences because they have no basis for things. And it does come off a bit one-sided, wouldn't you say?

Really, you gotta talk to people that have moved around a bit. And not moved around 30 years ago then retied here. I mean fairly recently, because places change. And traveling doesnt count. You cant get a feel for a place by only spending a week there.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:40 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,681,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbain View Post
"Believe it or not, Texans are the most tolerant people one will ever meet"....that is a bunch of bull...
Seriously. I'm not buying that one either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas