U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-23-2010, 03:49 AM

361 posts, read 655,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
Ft Worth has a lame skyline, but it's downtown district is the best in the state. Pristine and well kept. We go there for weekend getaways from Houston. Stay at a nice hotel like the Marriott and walk to entertainment, upscale dining, theater performances, etc. And you don't get accosted by bums.

Ft Worth's would defineitly be second to San Antonio's. S.A.'s is more historical, more lively and has many more distinct districts. Then they have the Riverwalk, with just that, sets it apart form any downtown in the state!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 05:34 PM

30 posts, read 49,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
No, actually Beaumont's skyline is pretty decent for a city its size.

San Antonio & El Paso have the weakest Texas skylines IMO considering their size.

What I posted can relate to your quote and all of the mid-sized cities I can think of have a better skyline.

WACO, MIDLAND, GAVLESTON, SAN ANGELO, ABILENE, WITCHITA FALLS, LUBBOCK, LAREDO ......

Old 10-26-2010, 07:55 PM

15,831 posts, read 19,073,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tejasram View Post
What I posted can relate to your quote and all of the mid-sized cities I can think of have a better skyline.

WACO, MIDLAND, GAVLESTON, SAN ANGELO, ABILENE, WITCHITA FALLS, LUBBOCK, LAREDO ......
Don't forget Tyler; which I believe is second after Midland when it comes to Mid-sized cities.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:07 PM

12,298 posts, read 12,937,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Don't forget Tyler; which I believe is second after Midland when it comes to Mid-sized cities.
Yeah our skyline is more than adequate for a city our size.

Its growing pretty fast too.

The last major building to go up was a 14 story condo on the west side, now we have a new 7 story Mother Frances cardiac care hospital going up in the Medical Center District that just broke ground earlier this month.

The UT Health Center Hospital in far Northeast Tyler is growing like crazy too & even forms it own little "skyline" of sorts.

Tyler also has many other 5-8 story buildings scattered about the city like Houston which you never see in pictures. They're all along the Loop & 69.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:25 PM

709 posts, read 597,367 times
Here is a very cool little thing someone did on the ACL fest in Austin and how our skyline has changed. It doesn't have the first two years but really does show the large change in our downtown. It also only shows a little bit of the DT by the lake and obviously doesn't have the Capitol area or UT Tower in it. Also the first ACL was in 2002 and it doesn't have that one. In 2002 the Frost Building wasn't there yet and it was still just the old original skyline from the 80's which you can no longer see due to the new buildings.

Austin’s changing skyline - Collective Vision | Photoblog for the Austin American-Statesman

Some photos from 2002 to now.

2002 when we had our first ACL (couldn't find one from the show)

This year. It still doesn't show the new Hotels off to the right by the lake but you should get the idea of the change.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:19 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,937,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1984 View Post
Ft Worth's would defineitly be second to San Antonio's. S.A.'s is more historical, more lively and has many more distinct districts. Then they have the Riverwalk, with just that, sets it apart form any downtown in the state!
I guess it's a personal preference. I love San Antonio. All of it. I agree there is a lot more to do in downtown SA then Ft Worth. But I still prefer Sundance Square over the Riverwalk, except at Christmas time. People in Ft Worth are way more laid back whereas every time we stay on the Riverwalk we have to contest with crowds of people in a hurry aggravated with our slow pace. I'm guessing SA has way more tourists. When we leave Houston I want to slow down, and I find it easier to do in Ft. Worth. I still love downtown SA!

Old 10-29-2010, 11:47 PM
JJG

9,986 posts, read 9,619,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
TMC skyline is more on par with Uptown Dallas as far as density & height are concerned.

Greenway Plaza could easily go head to head with DT Ft. Worth in height.
Nnnnnnnno.

Even though Fort Worth's skyline may not be that impressive (yet, there are some out of staters I've talked to that think it's pretty nice), you can't compare an office park to an actual city skyline, that will be growing sooner than later......

Old 10-31-2010, 07:19 PM

4,609 posts, read 6,065,646 times
I don't understand this obsession with skylines whenever it appears on various forums. San Antonio has an incredible collection of art deco buildings in many different styles such as moorish-inspired deco, etc. Downtown San Antonio is a treasure of such buildings, a good two dozen of them. They're a great deal more meritorious than some high-rise cylinder or mirrored box. I lived a great portion of my adult life in Austin than anywhere else, but I don't think Austin has been improved by its proliferating skyline. Only a few cities combine superb architecture with skyscraper type buildings, notably New York City and secondarily Chicago. The best stuff was pretty much built on the eve of the Great Depression, with a few more recent exceptions.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:56 PM
JJG

9,986 posts, read 9,619,399 times
Why does it have to be an "obsession"?

We just like skylines. And if we want to see it change, so what?

Old 11-01-2010, 04:08 PM

7 posts, read 9,676 times
Dallas is da best skyline
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas