U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-25-2011, 09:01 PM

18,516 posts, read 16,492,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
oh ok. If Midtown and Downtown skylines merge it would look EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!
yeah. I did a google map thing down Fannin to the med center and there seems to be a lot of empty lots rather than lowrise buildings so it won't cost as much to build in those areas because they are not paying for a building they are gonna have to tear down.

It looks like a ton of midrise buildings and empty lots. There is tons of room for development

concentrating the growth along Main, Fannin and San Jacinto it doesn't seem like you run into very many houses.

The problem I heard was that developers got a hold of the lots cheap and they are just sitting on them waiting for the areas to develop so that they can sell the land for mucho denero
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 09:32 PM

wow, based on this http://www.houstonmidtown.com/cmsFil...Map_012011.pdf Midtown has 615sq acres and 365 acres of that is vacant. That is more than half of midtown totally empty

notice how the residential/ single family homes are on the far east side, and there are almost none down the main corridor.

Houston Midtown: Midtown Houston :: About Midtown Houston. Your source for information about a centrally located, urban living neighborhood in the heart of Houston.

Here is another pic of downtown from the med center with Binz and midtown in between the two.:

The trees in the foreground are in Hermann Park, which separates Binz and TMC

Old 07-25-2011, 09:46 PM

491 posts, read 477,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
okay, you are talking about a bigger area than I am so it may include some really well cared for homes.
Eh... from what I remember it was a pretty mixed bag. Not exactly a very gentrification-active area. Many elderly first and second-gen homeowners who have lived there for much longer than I've been alive, so some homes are kept up nicely and others are kind of run-down, but not to the point of "ghetto". It was actually the original hipster neighborhood in the 40's and 50's, before the Montrose claimed that rep in the 60's-forward. Lots of jazz clubs and cafes. At least that's what my grandfather told me. It's kind of a forgotten inner-loop neighborhood, but it sits right in-between 2 very up-and-coming districts. It definitely has potential.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewzerr68 View Post
Eh... from what I remember it was a pretty mixed bag. Not exactly a very gentrification-active area. Many elderly first and second-gen homeowners who have lived there for much longer than I've been alive, so some homes are kept up nicely and others are kind of run-down, but not to the point of "ghetto". It was actually the original hipster neighborhood in the 40's and 50's, before the Montrose claimed that rep in the 60's-forward. Lots of jazz clubs and cafes. At least that's what my grandfather told me. It's kind of a forgotten inner-loop neighborhood, but it sits right in-between 2 very up-and-coming districts. It definitely has potential.
yeah the inner loop has the potential to be awesome if a little bone is thrown that way, but the last 60 years has not been great to it. The University line is gonna do wonders or that area. More grocery shopping areas and s couple of bars would make that area so much more desirable. Oh and restaurant options too. There are a few soul food areas on Almeda, A Dennys across 288 in Washington Terrace, but that is about it. You have to go down to the med center or to Midtown for food.

The area is not as scary as it was 10 years ago. Don't know what happened but it seems cleaner and you see less riff raff on the streets. The Wheeler station area still has a fair share of homeless people though

Old 07-25-2011, 11:00 PM

4,691 posts, read 3,943,616 times
Do yall know about the West Village in the Cityplace area. Man, it's nice.

Last edited by Dallaz; 07-25-2011 at 11:15 PM..

Old 07-25-2011, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
yeah the inner loop has the potential to be awesome if a little bone is thrown that way, but the last 60 years has not been great to it.

The area is not as scary as it was 10 years ago. Don't know what happened but it seems cleaner and you see less riff raff on the streets. The Wheeler station area still has a fair share of homeless people though
Actually I thought the inner-loop, or at least the Western and Northwestern part of it was the trendy place to live in Houston these days? I'm mainly referring to Midtown, the Montrose, West End, Upper Kirby, West U., and the Heights. Those are generally the areas people are referring to when discussing the inner-loop.

As for the Binz, I don't ever remember it being scary or ghetto at all. Maybe a little old and run-down in parts, but nothing like the wards or the Gulfgate area of inner-loop Houston. In fact, I went to high school for one year at CLC on Almeda and Cleburne, and though there were some problems with gangs at the school itself, it was all kids who lived on the other side of 288 in the 3rd ward. Besides, CLC was an Alternative school anyway. It could have been anywhere in the city and it would have had problems with gang violence.

Last edited by Brewzerr68; 07-26-2011 at 12:20 AM..

Old 07-25-2011, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Do yall know about the West Village in the Cityplace area. Man, it's nice.
That's a new one since I was last in Houston. Heard good things.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewzerr68 View Post
That's a new one since I was last in Houston. Heard good things.
LOL that's in Dallas.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:54 PM

Street views of Uptown Dallas (A lot of these buildings are under construction on the street view. Now they are completed.)

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

Old 07-26-2011, 12:04 AM

Quote:
LOL that's in Dallas.
No, there's one in Houston too. Somewhere out on the West side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas