Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 07:28 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,012,570 times

Advertisements

No doubt San Antonio has one of the worst skylines of any major city

Old 01-20-2013, 07:29 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,896,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
No doubt San Antonio has one of the worst skylines of any major city
Why is this?

Old 01-20-2013, 07:50 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,780,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Why is this?
Because it has over a million living in the city and doesn't look like Dallas or Houston... or even Austin.

But I think that's an unfair way to see San Antonio's skyline, as it is a more historic, pedestrian driven skyline.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:59 AM

71 posts, read 117,638 times
Default pretty good

i think it looks pretty good but not the best

Old 06-14-2013, 12:10 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,851,762 times
I like SA's skyline...I think its all the spires & historic buildings.

SA has a miniature Empire State Building & better looking observation tower than other unmentioned cities.

Old 09-02-2015, 12:41 PM

42 posts, read 202,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Dallas does have a beautiful night skyline & dense, urban core thanks to Uptown, but its height simply can't match Houston which is on another level above Dallas.

Houston's skyline/s compete with LA & Miami, & to a point, Chicago & Manhattan, respectively.

Dallas' skyline competes with Atlanta & Seattle IMO.

To put things into perspective, Houston's 4th tallest skyscraper is as tall as Dallas' 1st.

The San Jac Monument over in La Porte is taller than Reunion Tower in Dallas. Its also the tallest memorial monument in the US even above the Washington Monument in DC. It can be seen from well over 20 miles away easily.

Houston has the tallest & densest medical city skyline in the world. Its larger than most large cities downtown skylines.

I couldn't agree more. I travel all over for business and you are spot on with the exception that the tallest Dallas building is actually 3rd in Texas, just barely taller than Williams Tower (3rd tallest in Houston). The Houston skyline is becoming one gigantic skyline now. 700 feet plus scrapers being built as I post this. Skycranes are all over the Houston landscape putting up 30 to 40 story residential towers as well as commercial towers, all over the inner loop and uptown.

Old 09-02-2015, 01:55 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,771,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonroy1973 View Post
I couldn't agree more. I travel all over for business and you are spot on with the exception that the tallest Dallas building is actually 3rd in Texas, just barely taller than Williams Tower (3rd tallest in Houston). The Houston skyline is becoming one gigantic skyline now. 700 feet plus scrapers being built as I post this. Skycranes are all over the Houston landscape putting up 30 to 40 story residential towers as well as commercial towers, all over the inner loop and uptown.
As far as I am aware, there is only one 700'+ building under construction.

Where are the others?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston's skyline/s compete with LA & Miami, & to a point, Chicago & Manhattan, respectively.
L.A. and Miami? Sure.

Chicago and Manhattan? No way.

Look up the skyscraper maps of both Chicago and New York; as large as Chicago is, even it pales in comparison to New York.

Old 09-02-2015, 02:02 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,478,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
El Paso, for a city its size has a sort of small skylyine. It's not ugly or bad, just smaller than most cities with a comparable population.
Late 20th century El Paso had one of the most bustling, modern skylines in the Southwest. Here's the County Courthouse before it was demolished:

Urban sprawl has destroyed most of the character that once existed in the city.

And another:

Old 09-02-2015, 02:11 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,896,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
As far as I am aware, there is only one 700'+ building under construction.

Where are the others?

L.A. and Miami? Sure.

Chicago and Manhattan? No way.

Look up the skyscraper maps of both Chicago and New York; as large as Chicago is, even it pales in comparison to New York.
No city will ever compare to New York City, the construction of it and the rate in which it grew is completely different from how buildings are built today. Most younger cities have a lot of space in between the individual buildings and much wider streets to accommodate more cars, that's the largest difference between Chicago's skyline and New York's. New York's buildings are bunched up against one another, with little space in between. Some people complain that the prettier buildings in New York are drowned out because they are shoulder to shoulder with so many plain and ugly buildings.

Younger cities like Chicago and to an even larger extent, Houston, have a lot of space in between their buildings. This gives more draw to the individual building, as it is more likely to stand out.

Of course though I agree, Houston is definitely in the second or third tier of skylines in this country. I don't understand why he tried to compare Houston to Manhattan or even Chicago, neither one of those cities will ever be surpassed by Houston, because quantity and density matter too.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:06 PM

657 posts, read 733,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonroy1973 View Post
The Houston skyline is becoming one gigantic skyline now. 700 feet plus scrapers being built as I post this. Skycranes are all over the Houston landscape putting up 30 to 40 story residential towers as well as commercial towers, all over the inner loop and uptown.
Do you have more info about this or maybe pictures sounds cool!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas