U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Unread 05-28-2009, 10:48 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,753 posts, read 17,519,550 times
Reputation: 6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
What is clear to come out of this post is that some of you dont understand the law.... and your *****'in to the wrong crowd.. you dont like the laws see your legislature.. you dont like "speed traps" complain to the city council.. you dont like the city council.. vote them out

As to my comment about using force,,, it is true that sometimes I put the handcuffs on harder or pushed someone down with more force commensurate with what they did and how they did it... the law allows this.... you think you can do better.. step up,, Anger,, sure anyone would get angry after being led on a long pursuit with some idiot shooting at me and everyone else and then thinks its kings x at the end.. actually if he gives up completely it is,,, but it rarely goes down that way.. RARELY

An e plate exempts an officer from the rules of the road "when operating with the due regard for the safety of others".. if they arent complain.. if you dont get satisfaction complain some more (which is why most police LIKE dashcams in our cars)

Questioning me as to whether I actually am a policeman... Gee buddy... you are just going to have to figure out that one.. 830 PC for over 27 years...

Every policeman I know worked their tails off to protect the constitutional rights of every citizen... hey.. do we have to care about crooks like everyone else.. no.. I dont.. but they DO get the rights accorded to them under the law.. and it was my job to uphold that...

You can google lots of studies that show stringent traffic enforcement does reduce accidents... have at it. I can also tell you that my personal opinion from being on the enforcement side is that it does make a difference. In Los Angeles ,where I was a policeman, over 50 percent of the drivers are uninsured.. I hope to hell a policeman stops them for anything.. and finds this out.. so I dont get smacked by some illegal with no license or insurance who will run back across the border if involved in an accident.. opps I forgot.. L.A. is now a sanctuary city.. they dont even have to go anywhere.. While we are on the subject there are many studies out there that show a majority of drivers have distracted attention while driving.. kids screaming,, wives fighting. cell phones ringing. makeup applying, boom box blaring, eating, reading,dope smoking, alcohol consuming, road raging because a CITIZEN can't control their anger and have few controls upon them (we as police have many many restrictions on our behavior) and the myriad of other things humans do while driving... in one mile of driving hummans make ,on average, over 200 complex mental calculations involving the operation of a vehicle.. if you think for a minute to yourself what some of these are you will quickly find the list becomes endless.... is it any wonder people speed or do a host of other stupid things that end up violating the vehicle code... so for those of you that think traffic is too harsh.. or chicken****... get over it

Continue to armchair it... thats easy... go ahead ..leave your safety to professionals.. because if we as a society subscribed to some of the ideas and beliefs proffered here the world would be a mess

Why not try Mexico with its lax traffic laws and enforcement... see what happens there when someone plows into you.. Me.. no thanks...

Some of you have it figured out.. others want to be internet social justice makers without a clue what is going on in the real world.. go down and volunteer.. make a difference.. or just complain... driving is NOT a right.. remember that

I EXPECT traffic units to write cites.. lots of them.. and as a supervisor if they weren't I would be chewing on them for being lazy.. writing tickets is easy.. California has over 40000 vehicle codes... mature officers know when to cite and when not to... young guns tend to cite more... everyone has a learning curve...
The typical driver has committed numerous vehicle code violations before being stopped ..some of them potentially dangerous ..some of them chicken****... We give licenses too easily in this country.. licenses for 4000 pound metal "bullets" on our roadways

Last year California arrested 204,000 drivers for DUI... many of these off simple traffic stops.. 1 out of 50 drivers is DUI at any given time.. way way higher at night.. Im happy to have aggressive traffic enforcement out there taking them off the road.. 44000 Americans were killed by DUIs last year (see NHSTA).. thats ten times the brave American soldiers killed in both current conflicts.. think aggressive traffic enforcement is worth it?.. you bet your ass it is

Your a cop, so you've been brainwashed to think like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 05-28-2009, 11:01 PM
 
Location: Northeast Texas
785 posts, read 810,296 times
Reputation: 451
It looks like notmeofficer still have not answer any of my questions but that's ok since he doesn't have to. He just throws out all the stuff he knows and post it on here instead of proving our points.

Speed Enforcement makes politicians RICHER period. If it was about safety then a Law Enforcement Officer could leave his radar on and it would serve its purpose. I would expect your the only one would understand this statement notmeofficer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 05-29-2009, 07:47 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
1,308 posts, read 1,988,359 times
Reputation: 1129
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
What is clear to come out of this post is that some of you dont understand the law.... and your *****'in to the wrong crowd.. you dont like the laws see your legislature.. you dont like "speed traps" complain to the city council.. you dont like the city council.. vote them out
Sure, and perhaps you could opt out of being a tool for the collection of cash and instead do the job originally set for police when we set up local forces independent of the military. Hiding behind the excuse that it's the law and we should use what little power we have to change it by voting is weak. We wouldn't need to fight insipid regulations if they hadn't been enacted in the first place. They wouldn't have been enacted if the-powers-that-be weren't confident there would be a group of highly trained, power hungry madmen who would blindly and uncritically follow orders, regardless of their legitimate legality. Besides, I'm probably doing more to dissuade potential donut-eaters from joining the force and abusing their fellow citizens by posting here than I would by voting. If at least one person reads these posts, thinks long and hard about the decision and reconsiders following your career path, I will feel something positive has been accomplished. By the way, I do exercise my right to vote. I've missed only one election I've been eligible to vote in since I turned eighteen, and that had more to do with handling the logistics of moving than apathy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
As to my comment about using force,,, it is true that sometimes I put the handcuffs on harder or pushed someone down with more force commensurate with what they did and how they did it... the law allows this.... you think you can do better.. step up,, Anger,, sure anyone would get angry after being led on a long pursuit with some idiot shooting at me and everyone else and then thinks its kings x at the end.. actually if he gives up completely it is,,, but it rarely goes down that way.. RARELY
And this scenario rarely happens. RARELY. How many times has someone shot at you? Five times? Maybe even ten since you've had a long and glorious career? And how many citizens have you interacted with? Thousands? Tens of thousands? Yeah, I don't see a pattern of bad behavior here... at least not on the part of the citizens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
An e plate exempts an officer from the rules of the road "when operating with the due regard for the safety of others".. if they arent complain.. if you dont get satisfaction complain some more (which is why most police LIKE dashcams in our cars)
Sure, sure... complain. That usually works, doesn't it? I think I'll call the small East Texas town sheriff's office and complain that his cop pulled me over for fifteen over the limit even though I had my cruise control set for five under the limit because I know East Texas cops are ticket happy. This isn't LA we're talking about here. Some of these small town forces are tiny and filled with people who are friends and relatives of each other. These forces don't have an Internal Affairs department. They have Cletus congratulating his nephew Zeke for doing the county proud and keeping the local government solvent.

As an aside, does that "exempt" on the license plate mean that a cop can pull into a handicapped parking spot at the 7-11 so he doesn't have to walk as far to the chili-cheese dog kiosk? I'm willing to bet my entire savings account that it doesn't, but that type of behavior isn't out of the ordinary. I'd be willing to bet even you, the fine upstanding officer with the spotless record, has taken advantage of his badge to get away with a handful of illegal activities from time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Questioning me as to whether I actually am a policeman... Gee buddy... you are just going to have to figure out that one.. 830 PC for over 27 years...
I didn't question it. Considering the average citizen can't stand cops, I know you must somehow be connected in order to be so blindly bought in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Every policeman I know worked their tails off to protect the constitutional rights of every citizen... hey.. do we have to care about crooks like everyone else.. no.. I dont.. but they DO get the rights accorded to them under the law.. and it was my job to uphold that...
You mean, when you weren't hitting them with your billy club, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
You can google lots of studies that show stringent traffic enforcement does reduce accidents... have at it. I can also tell you that my personal opinion from being on the enforcement side is that it does make a difference. In Los Angeles ,where I was a policeman, over 50 percent of the drivers are uninsured.. I hope to hell a policeman stops them for anything.. and finds this out.. so I dont get smacked by some illegal with no license or insurance who will run back across the border if involved in an accident.. opps I forgot.. L.A. is now a sanctuary city.. they dont even have to go anywhere.. While we are on the subject there are many studies out there that show a majority of drivers have distracted attention while driving.. kids screaming,, wives fighting. cell phones ringing. makeup applying, boom box blaring, eating, reading,dope smoking, alcohol consuming, road raging because a CITIZEN can't control their anger and have few controls upon them (we as police have many many restrictions on our behavior) and the myriad of other things humans do while driving... in one mile of driving hummans make ,on average, over 200 complex mental calculations involving the operation of a vehicle.. if you think for a minute to yourself what some of these are you will quickly find the list becomes endless.... is it any wonder people speed or do a host of other stupid things that end up violating the vehicle code... so for those of you that think traffic is too harsh.. or chicken****... get over it
LAPD? Enough said. Your department is notorious around the country for their glorification of the excessive use of violence and their overabundance of graft. You guys "have many many restrictions on [y]our behavior" because you have consistently violated the basic human rights of the average citizen for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Continue to armchair it... thats easy... go ahead ..leave your safety to professionals.. because if we as a society subscribed to some of the ideas and beliefs proffered here the world would be a mess
I don't want to leave my safety to just professionals. I want fewer professionals. And of the professionals I want left, I want them to actually look after my safety, not to generate revenue for the local government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Why not try Mexico with its lax traffic laws and enforcement... see what happens there when someone plows into you.. Me.. no thanks...
Simply because I'm not Mexican. I'm an American. This if-you-don't-like-it-then-leave response is also weak. The tide is changing, and police forces are reducing their numbers. The people are generally beginning to see cops as a hindrance to their rights and not a help. When cops' hands are completely tied, and they can't do anything because the people will overreact in retaliation for the police's unremitting abuse of power, then would you think me telling you to go to Mexico if you don't like it is justified? Probably not. It's everybody's right as a citizen of this country to complain about what we disagree with, as long as those rights are afforded to us and not made illegal (which, if it were, would probably gleefully be enforced by your occupational brethren).

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Some of you have it figured out.. others want to be internet social justice makers without a clue what is going on in the real world.. go down and volunteer.. make a difference.. or just complain... driving is NOT a right.. remember that
Yes it is a right. How do you figure driving isn't a right? How do you justify that?

And, who's figured it out? Just the people who agree with you? That rhetoric is tired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
I EXPECT traffic units to write cites.. lots of them.. and as a supervisor if they weren't I would be chewing on them for being lazy.. writing tickets is easy.. California has over 40000 vehicle codes... mature officers know when to cite and when not to... young guns tend to cite more... everyone has a learning curve...
The typical driver has committed numerous vehicle code violations before being stopped ..some of them potentially dangerous ..some of them chicken****... We give licenses too easily in this country.. licenses for 4000 pound metal "bullets" on our roadways
Again, your contempt for the general public is shining through. I'm certain this contempt tainted everything you did as a cop. When you view everyone as incompetent or criminal, your judgement should be called into question. And, this has been my point all along. There is certainly an element of criminality in our society, but that number is small. When you view eveyone as being a bad guy, you will create criminals by forcing the average citizen to distrust the police and what the police stand for. It's a viscious cycle, and it's only aided by your 40,000 vehicle codes. How you you expect someone to comply with 40,000 vehicle codes?! If they don't comply with 40,000 vehicle codes, then they just broke the law and are now criminals. This is ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Last year California arrested 204,000 drivers for DUI... many of these off simple traffic stops.. 1 out of 50 drivers is DUI at any given time.. way way higher at night.. Im happy to have aggressive traffic enforcement out there taking them off the road.. 44000 Americans were killed by DUIs last year (see NHSTA).. thats ten times the brave American soldiers killed in both current conflicts.. think aggressive traffic enforcement is worth it?.. you bet your ass it is
You keep throwing our these numbers as if we're supposed to believe them simply because you've expressed you're some sort of authority on the subject. One out of 50 drivers is DUI at any given time? I call BS. One in 50? At any given time? No way. Nope. Your credibilty has flown out the window. And, not to add insult to injury, but I'd like to clarify your 44,000 number. That many people weren't killed by DUIs last year. They were killed in total accidents. Only about 16,000 people were killed in alcohol-related accidents. And, according to the NHTSA, an alcohol-related accident occurs:
Quote:
if at least one driver or non-occupant (such as a pedestrian or pedalcyclist) involved in the crash is determined to have had a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of .01 gram per deciliter (g/dL) or higher. Thus, any fatality that occurs in an alcohol-related crash is considered an alcohol-related fatality. The term 'alcohol-related' does not indicate that a crash or fatality was caused by the presence of alcohol.
The number of deaths actually caused by alcohol is closer to 5,000 nationwide. And that number, is actually pretty close to the number of deaths caused by that needless war in the Persian Gulf:
Casualty Counter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 05-29-2009, 07:55 AM
 
Location: Central Texas
15,319 posts, read 19,691,445 times
Reputation: 10732
Driving isn't a right. It's a privilege, one for which you have to be licensed and to agree to obey the traffic laws.

There are way too many people that think that things are "rights" that aren't - there are precious few rights, when you get right down to it (and, in nature, none at all, rights are a human construct).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 05-29-2009, 08:03 AM
 
2,893 posts, read 3,178,737 times
Reputation: 1907
notmeofficer, your understanding of rights, both inalienable and constitutionally enumerated, is severely distorted. It's almost as though you've been told by someone who has alterior motives that rights are granted by government and protected by you. I wonder who might have a motive for distorting what rights are who would also be directing you and your fellow officers on how to conduct your job? Hmm.

You might consider actually reading the Bill of Rights, particularly the 9th Amendment. It's pretty short and easy to understand. I'll even put it here for you:

"The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people."

So, uh, driving *is* a right, just not one enumerated, at least if you believe in silly things like the Constitution which I believe you swore an oath to uphold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 05-29-2009, 10:32 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
1,308 posts, read 1,988,359 times
Reputation: 1129
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
notmeofficer, your understanding of rights, both inalienable and constitutionally enumerated, is severely distorted. It's almost as though you've been told by someone who has alterior motives that rights are granted by government and protected by you. I wonder who might have a motive for distorting what rights are who would also be directing you and your fellow officers on how to conduct your job? Hmm.

You might consider actually reading the Bill of Rights, particularly the 9th Amendment. It's pretty short and easy to understand. I'll even put it here for you:

"The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people."

So, uh, driving *is* a right, just not one enumerated, at least if you believe in silly things like the Constitution which I believe you swore an oath to uphold.
Precisely. Rights are not granted by the government. Rights are protected by the government. There is a huge difference. The government doesn't have the authority (at least according to the constructs that built our government) to dole out rights to the people. Rights already exist. Again, at least according to the constitution they do. The government is contractually obligated to protect our rights, not to define each individual liberty we may or may not have. Simply because a "right" isn't expressly enumerated in the Constitution doesn't mean it's not a right.

And anyhow, delving into the tricky world of semantics, defining the subtle differences between privileges and rights is a useless exercise. The exact legal definitions are virtually indistinguishable to the layman. Regardless of whether it's a privilege or a right, it is something I can do. Just like voting. Just like breathing. Dependent upon my actions, the government can revoke both of those rights/privileges, but they can't do so without just cause; cause which they must shoulder the burden of proof to affect. The problem is, traffic tickets, speed traps, DUI checkpoints and even traffic lights fall into some sort of legalistic limbo that prohibits our rights/privileges without just cause. But, as responsible citizens, we allow a certain degree of it in order to remain safe. The question, and the point behind this entire debate, is how much do we citizens allow? In my opinion, and at least scarmig's and An0nym0us88's opinions it seems, those powers we grant to the police end when the purpose of protection ends. We don't grant the police power to be revenue generators. We grant them powers of protection. This point must be understood if this is going to be discussed further. We can debate where protection ends and revenue generation begins till the cows come home, but until everyone is on the same page about the basic purpose and vested power of the police, we'll just continue to talk past each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 05-29-2009, 10:56 AM
 
2,893 posts, read 3,178,737 times
Reputation: 1907
Here's a real life example:
Cop work-to-rule campaign set to continue : thewest.com.au (http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=77&ContentID=144854 - broken link)

Cops want a raise. City doesn't want to pay. Cops threaten to interrupt revenue by not issuing traffic citations, but will continue to field emergency calls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 05-30-2009, 06:32 PM
 
350 posts, read 1,031,261 times
Reputation: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
Sure, and perhaps you could opt out of being a tool for the collection of cash and instead do the job originally set for police when we set up local forces independent of the military. Hiding behind the excuse that it's the law and we should use what little power we have to change it by voting is weak. We wouldn't need to fight insipid regulations if they hadn't been enacted in the first place. They wouldn't have been enacted if the-powers-that-be weren't confident there would be a group of highly trained, power hungry madmen who would blindly and uncritically follow orders, regardless of their legitimate legality. Besides, I'm probably doing more to dissuade potential donut-eaters from joining the force and abusing their fellow citizens by posting here than I would by voting.

A law isnt an excuse... its an agreed upon standard of behavior.. its the reason Brother Barack says we cant water board terrorists.. is he a power hungry madman??? something tells me a couple of people here voted for him enthusiastically.. or is it JUST the laws you want enforced WHEN you want them enforced.... is the peoples will valid.. or just yours



If at least one person reads these posts, thinks long and hard about the decision and reconsiders following your career path, I will feel something positive has been accomplished. By the way, I do exercise my right to vote. I've missed only one election I've been eligible to vote in since I turned eighteen, and that had more to do with handling the logistics of moving than apathy.

I sure wish we still had the draft.... or at least national service... might give you a different perspective



And this scenario rarely happens. RARELY. How many times has someone shot at you? Five times? Maybe even ten since you've had a long and glorious career? And how many citizens have you interacted with? Thousands? Tens of thousands? Yeah, I don't see a pattern of bad behavior here... at least not on the part of the citizens.

10 times is a lot of dead dead... actually that number is.... a little low.. but probably close... in L.A. coppers get shot at a lot.. but deadly up close confrontations are way less.. a couple of times in your career would be a lot.. but those defining moments sure put clarity to the rest of your career...

Based on interactions of at least 100 people per day.. which for L.A would be low to normal depending upon where one worked... yep.. Ive probably talked to tens of thousands... and you know what... even stupid ignorant obnoxious misguided liberals get the same service in reality.. thankfully big brother doesn't control my private thoughts so I can still think of some people as just plain knuckleheads...



Sure, sure... complain. That usually works, doesn't it? I think I'll call the small East Texas town sheriff's office and complain that his cop pulled me over for fifteen over the limit even though I had my cruise control set for five under the limit because I know East Texas cops are ticket happy. This isn't LA we're talking about here. Some of these small town forces are tiny and filled with people who are friends and relatives of each other. These forces don't have an Internal Affairs department. They have Cletus congratulating his nephew Zeke for doing the county proud and keeping the local government solvent.

So.. let me get this right... it would be Ok in your world if you "ran" things...
Are you too lazy to really change the system.. become a social justice lawyer (provided you want to work outside the system and think your brand of justice is the right and true one).. even better yet...run for Sheriff of Opakanokie Texas and change the department yourself

Or... continue to whine about the social injustice of it all

As an aside, does that "exempt" on the license plate mean that a cop can pull into a handicapped parking spot at the 7-11 so he doesn't have to walk as far to the chili-cheese dog kiosk? I'm willing to bet my entire savings account that it doesn't, but that type of behavior isn't out of the ordinary. I'd be willing to bet even you, the fine upstanding officer with the spotless record, has taken advantage of his badge to get away with a handful of illegal activities from time to time.

Coppers that abuse the e plate so that whiners can whine are dumb.. but lets also say this... you dont have a clue what was going on so an inference is just that.. a story without fact
Throwing out personal barbs .. well... tells a lot about who you are
Again... I never wanted a dirtbag to be able to say what you are saying to me.. so ..nope I didnt park in that red zone ( unless it was an emergency then I would park on your front lawn in the bushes if necessary).. nope didnt take the free cup of coffee.. nope still cited the gal who showed her boobs,,, because at the end of the day I didn't want to mire in the muck with low lifes... I think the vast majority of coppers feel and act this way... a small percentage do not.. to them I say... I hope you get fired and put in prison.. because Ill be happy to escort you there


I paid for every free thing offered me.. just so I could do whatever was right when the time came.. especially hooking up the scrota who tried to buy me



I didn't question it. Considering the average citizen can't stand cops, I know you must somehow be connected in order to be so blindly bought in.

Really.. the average citizen cant stand cops... please.. show me that statistic from any legitimate source you can... actually what I understand is that police are still viewed by many as role models in society...
Are you a role model...???
Caring about my community for longer than someone like you has probably been alive certainly puts perspective on things.. but perhaps you spend time in your community improving it and not just complaining on the internet



You mean, when you weren't hitting them with your billy club, right?

We dont use billy clubs .. havent for 20 years.. we use PR 24s.. and only allowed to strike non lethal areas unless deadly force is justified.. and then all bets are off



LAPD? Enough said. Your department is notorious around the country for their glorification of the excessive use of violence and their overabundance of graft. You guys "have many many restrictions on [y]our behavior" because you have consistently violated the basic human rights of the average citizen for years.

Actually.. I didnt work for LAPD.. I worked for LASD.. we're the other guys.. the bigger department.. Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department Home page.. LAPD has had its share of problems.. some of them systemic.. some of them brought about by "social justice" chiefs brought in from other places in the country.. but for the crappy stuff they get to do... I still support their mission



I don't want to leave my safety to just professionals. I want fewer professionals. And of the professionals I want left, I want them to actually look after my safety, not to generate revenue for the local government.

Really... I doubt many internet nuts would last five minutes on any street in So Cal.... now.. it seems to me that what you are saying is that because a public government agency generates funds that's wrong??? wow... what screwy thinking

I actually like the merit based performance system with controls... bounty worked well in the old west.. lets reconstitute it I say.. so did real justice not the stuff that gets meted out today depriving AMERICANS of their stated constitutional rights to life ( not getting crashed into be some speeding idiot) liberty ( not getting their hard earned vehicle destroyed by some speeding idiot) and the pursuit of happiness ( hard to be happy when you are hurt by some speeding idiot)



Simply because I'm not Mexican. I'm an American. This if-you-don't-like-it-then-leave response is also weak. The tide is changing, and police forces are reducing their numbers. The people are generally beginning to see cops as a hindrance to their rights and not a help. When cops' hands are completely tied, and they can't do anything because the people will overreact in retaliation for the police's unremitting abuse of power, then would you think me telling you to go to Mexico if you don't like it is justified? Probably not. It's everybody's right as a citizen of this country to complain about what we disagree with, as long as those rights are afforded to us and not made illegal (which, if it were, would probably gleefully be enforced by your occupational brethren).

Do you hate your mother and father for saying no to you...???
Do you believe there shouldn't be any controls upon behavior.. or again just those you personally think are appropriate
Other than treating all humans with respect I couldn't give a hoot about extending American constitutional rights to non Americans.. because when youre in their country they certainly use that adage.


Police forces are reducing their numbers.. hmm.. West Coast departments have historically been lean and our citizen to officer ratio is very low.. in L.A. its as low as 1-100,000.. thats pretty low isnt it... or is what you're all about is getting rid of all rules and agents of government so you can do whatever it is you think you are entitled to do .. what is that anyway...

think we should all be able to smoke dope.. use drugs.. how about have sex with kids..speed??? I mean thats what this post is all about right..your informed decision about what you think the police should do and not do... just what is ok with you



Yes it is a right. How do you figure driving isn't a right? How do you justify that?

Where in the constitution does it say it is...the 4th?... the 14th.. the 1st... thats why it is regulated.. we have RIGHTS.. and we have privileges.. try looking up the difference

And, who's figured it out? Just the people who agree with you? That rhetoric is tired.
Look in the mirror on that one bud...

Its obvious to everyone you dont.. and thats fine.. but you display a deep seated bias... perhaps some of you have run afoul of the law... or is it that you just got one too many "undeserved" traffic tickets...


Again, your contempt for the general public is shining through. I'm certain this contempt tainted everything you did as a cop. When you view everyone as incompetent or criminal, your judgement should be called into question. And, this has been my point all along. There is certainly an element of criminality in our society, but that number is small. When you view eveyone as being a bad guy, you will create criminals by forcing the average citizen to distrust the police and what the police stand for. It's a viscious cycle, and it's only aided by your 40,000 vehicle codes. How you you expect someone to comply with 40,000 vehicle codes?! If they don't comply with 40,000 vehicle codes, then they just broke the law and are now criminals. This is ridiculous.

I dont have contempt for the average citizen...I have contempt for idiots, fools, and whiners. I believe strongly that 90 percent of Americans (sic Americans mind you) are good people... law abiding, harm no one, go to work everyday, just want to be happy people... these people are eligible for a conversation and a break.. but if what they did is stupid.. they get a reminder.. you may not like it... it is what it is

Again.. whine or change the law,,, and that means getting into the system to most effectively change it... or.. or do you want revolution.. anarchy..???



You keep throwing our these numbers as if we're supposed to believe them simply because you've expressed you're some sort of authority on the subject. One out of 50 drivers is DUI at any given time? I call BS. One in 50? At any given time? No way. Nope. Your credibilty has flown out the window. And, not to add insult to injury, but I'd like to clarify your 44,000 number. That many people weren't killed by DUIs last year. They were killed in total accidents. Only about 16,000 people were killed in alcohol-related accidents. And, according to the NHTSA, an alcohol-related accident occurs:

You know what.. your right.. I cited the wrong death stat ( and in my defense I am not a DUI officer so I should have checked more carefully before citing it)... but the 1 in 50 remains.... that comes from Avoid the 5 studies and personal experience of shaking thousands of cars

The number of deaths actually caused by alcohol is closer to 5,000 nationwide.

Actually you are way off here.. try again... at least three times higher.. what I should have cited was injuries AND fatalities caused by DUIs per year

And that number, is actually pretty close to the number of deaths caused by that needless (your bias is showing.. again) war in the Persian Gulf:

Casualty Counter
You are just flat wrong

lets just say this.. I am in complete opposition to some of the comments.. and I will continue to speak my mind and not let those of you with unsubstantiated emotional dribble spout off unopposed

So.. lets agree on this... we are polarized here....

What have you done for your community today folks... and dont give me Im fighting against the system crap... what have you really done

have you volunteered at an old folks home?
helped a child to read?
comforted an ill person?
stood in a dui checkpoint with MADD?
volunteered at your local police department.. heaven forbid support the man and the oppressive agents of government out to put down the little people!!!! (am I dripping with enough sarcasm yet?)
run for political office?

Done anything other than complain about getting a traffic ticket and then try to say its the nasty "donut eaters" fault????.. by the way.. never ate one never will.. so the name calling doesn't affect me whatsoever.. I still fit in my class A's after 30 years... why not look at your own physical self

I wonder.... where are the good Texans that are tired of listening to this malarkey here in the forum.. speak up.. Id like to HEAR your opinions and balance

One of the reasons that I have looked at retiring to texas IS because the attitudes I have generally seen expressed by Texans... a lack of tolerance for low lifes and law breakers,, and what seemed to me an attitude about personal responsibility with ones actions... am I wrong.. is Texas becoming Kalifornicated?

Last edited by notmeofficer; 05-30-2009 at 07:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 06-01-2009, 07:58 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
1,308 posts, read 1,988,359 times
Reputation: 1129
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
You are just flat wrong

lets just say this.. I am in complete opposition to some of the comments.. and I will continue to speak my mind and not let those of you with unsubstantiated emotional dribble spout off unopposed

So.. lets agree on this... we are polarized here....

What have you done for your community today folks... and dont give me Im fighting against the system crap... what have you really done

have you volunteered at an old folks home?
helped a child to read?
comforted an ill person?
stood in a dui checkpoint with MADD?
volunteered at your local police department.. heaven forbid support the man and the oppressive agents of government out to put down the little people!!!! (am I dripping with enough sarcasm yet?)
run for political office?

Done anything other than complain about getting a traffic ticket and then try to say its the nasty "donut eaters" fault????.. by the way.. never ate one never will.. so the name calling doesn't affect me whatsoever.. I still fit in my class A's after 30 years... why not look at your own physical self

I wonder.... where are the good Texans that are tired of listening to this malarkey here in the forum.. speak up.. Id like to HEAR your opinions and balance
One of the reasons that I have looked at retiring to texas IS because the attitudes I have generally seen expressed by Texans... a lack of tolerance for low lifes and law breakers,, and what seemed to me an attitude about personal responsibility with ones actions... am I wrong.. is Texas becoming Kalifornicated?
I think it funny you "whined" about "name calling" when this entire post was an ad hominem attack against me. You don't know me. Don't presume to know me. You have no knowledge of my life or my personal history of community involvement, and considering you don't have me pulled over on the side of the road, I'm not compelled to justify those to you. Were these the type of snap judgements you made of the people you pulled over as a cop? Were you this belligerant as a cop? Thirty years of making incorrect snap judgements of others doesn't qualify you to make any uninformed judgements about me. The reason so few Texans are here supporting your rhetoric is because adult Texans don't like to be babysat by the government. We like our freedom, even if that means we must drive more defensively than our Californian counterparts.

I'll leave you with this quote from Benjamin Franklin, which is obviously a sentiment you must disagree with:
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 06-01-2009, 08:17 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
1,308 posts, read 1,988,359 times
Reputation: 1129
And, you complain about my bias because I disagree with you and called the war in Iraq "needless" (a judgement supported by 2/3 of the American people) but this is a sample of your writing?

"stupid ignorant obnoxious misguided liberals"

Whatever, dude.

Iraq
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:08 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top