Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 11:09 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,376,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allbizness View Post
Need anymore?
No. The less urbanized feel of the San Antonio area in the photos was refreshing. Thanks.

Look, we could go on and on showing specific views of our cities in an attempt to prove our points. Everyone of my posts here have not been to bash SA but to correct mis-information about Dallas thrown out erroneously. I need to see no more SA area photos and I will not post anymore of the Dallas area (unless someone gets really ignorant again).

Dallas and SW Dallas:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 02:14 PM

67 posts, read 78,078 times
BBQ,

The only thing I read about Dallas was that it was relatively flat, which it is.

You can use google earth to find out. There's a terrain feature that shows the elevation for any particular area.

Downtown Dallas is at about 450 ft in elevation. The greatest elevation change I could find was 760 ft and this was outside of Dallas and in the greater metro area of DFW. The average for Dallas and its metro area was in the high 400' and low 500's. Very minimal change in downtown elevation.

Now as a counter example.

Downtown San Antonio is at about 650 feet.

The greatest elevation change in San Antonio I could find was 1,210. Just a couple of miles outside downtown the change was a couple of hundred feet at about 850 feet. The average for San Antonio was in the high 800's and low 900's.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:06 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,111,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Census does not look at it that way. They look at downtown to downtown. Or CBD to CBD. Otherwise, the Washington-Baltimore-Philadelphia-New York City-Boston are would be defined as one entire large metro area. But of course, it is not. Dallas and Fort Worth isn't five miles apart though. They border each other.

Again, they look at downtown and the commuting patters from other counties into those downtown areas. And for San Antonio and Austin. The surrounding counties do not justify these two cities to be merged into one area unlike Dallas and Fort Worth. Or Miami and Ft. Lauderdale.
It will get there, it's already taking shape.

The Greater Austin - San Antonio Corridor Council

ASA Rail: Austin-San Antonio Intermunicipal Commuter Rail District

Old 09-06-2008, 08:56 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
If it does, I would hope it's smart growth. I really don't want to see 70 miles of low density suburban sprawl that looks like everyplace, USA hampering traffic on an already crowded interstate. It won't impress anyone. Austin and San Antonio needs to densify their cores before venturing out to merge with one another. Glad to see they are taking steps to do so but both cities (including every other Texas city) has a long way to go.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
It will get there, it's already taking shape.
The new real estate being created by Mona Loa in Hawaii is also taking shape; and may be inhabited before Austin-San Antonio form a Census Bureau recognized MSA.

Minneapolis/St Paul - 9.1 miles

SF/Oakland - 11.5 miles

D/FW - 31 miles

SeaTac - 33.4 miles

Baltimore/DC - 38.5 miles

Austin/SA - 80 miles

That's quite a stretch, considering Austin's primary growth is north and northwestwards.

Austin - San Antonio
Google Maps

D/FW
Google Maps

Old 09-07-2008, 09:53 AM

To be fair, I think you mean CSA. Other than that, I agree. San Antonio-Austin will NEVER become an MSA. CSA maybe but even that's a stretch. The primary cities main districts are two far from each other. This is why you can't compare some fantasy metro area to a DFW which is 50 miles closer to each other than San Antonio and Austin.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:06 PM

81 posts, read 218,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQgritz View Post
The new real estate being created by Mona Loa in Hawaii is also taking shape; and may be inhabited before Austin-San Antonio form a Census Bureau recognized MSA.

SF/Oakland - 11.5 miles

D/FW - 31 miles

SeaTac - 33.4 miles

Austin/SA - 80 miles

That's quite a stretch, considering Austin's primary growth is north and northwestwards.

Austin - San Antonio
Google Maps

D/FW
Google Maps

Dallas/ Ft Worth - 34
Baltimore/D.C. - 40
SA/Austin - 79

Just a few corrections

Old 09-07-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schertz1 View Post
Dallas/ Ft Worth - 34
Baltimore/D.C. - 40
SA/Austin - 79

Just a few corrections
Source?

Old 09-07-2008, 06:19 PM

251 posts, read 710,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQgritz View Post

SF/Oakland - 11.5 miles

D/FW - 31 miles

SeaTac - 33.4 miles

Austin/SA - 80 miles

Austin - San Antonio
Google Maps

D/FW
Google Maps
Since you're talking about MSAs, the distance from the very center of each cities' CBD is 80.2 miles; but from the city limits of each city, it's about 56 miles and the distance between the metros from the edge of San Marcos to the edge of New Braunfels, not using EJT, is less than 10 miles-about 8.7 miles, with lush tree coverage in both cities.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEsananto View Post
Since you're talking about MSAs, the distance from the very center of each cities' CBD is 80.2 miles; but from the city limits of each city, it's about 56 miles and the distance between the metros from the edge of San Marcos to the edge of New Braunfels, not using EJT, is less than 10 miles-about 8.7 miles, with lush tree coverage in both cities.
I mean, c'mon now. Dallas and Fort Worth can say it's 10 miles apart than. And Washington DC and Baltimore can say they are 22 miles apart. I mean, any MSA can use this argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas