U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 11:19 AM

557 posts, read 905,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I started laughing when I visualized that. And my husband says the "fidna" when he's about to do something. He does it on purpose though, it's not just something he does naturally.
That one gets me every time, too! And I confess, I learned it years ago from a friend from Tennessee.....she was quite the expressive one! We also use fidna for fun....more often we using the Texas Formal, "fixing to." And now....fidna run......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 09:31 AM

1,297 posts, read 2,895,929 times
I know several Texans that say fidna. They sound like they're from the country but I never noticed if my hubby says that or just fixin to. I say fixin to. I'll have to pay attention to the way he says it next time.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:38 PM

36,259 posts, read 19,048,324 times
I say "fixin' to" like it's going out of style. It's just been part of my lexicon for a lot of years, and I constantly find myself saying it unconsciously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
I know several Texans that say fidna. They sound like they're from the country but I never noticed if my hubby says that or just fixin to. I say fixin to. I'll have to pay attention to the way he says it next time.

Howdy, blueskies!

Old 02-09-2009, 09:32 AM

1,297 posts, read 2,895,929 times
Hey case! Hope you're doing good!

Old 02-09-2009, 07:25 PM

36,259 posts, read 19,048,324 times
Default And I'm Moseying Into The Sunset

In keeping with Texas' lingo tradition, let's say that I'm fixin' to hit the sack.

See you folks a little later, ya hear??

Old 12-18-2009, 07:15 AM

1 posts, read 751 times
I am originally from Brazil. While living in Canada in the 1980s, I had to pass by Dallas towards Mexico, where my company had business. Then, in 2005 I moved to Carrollton to install an office. Why Texas? For me it is heaven on earth, and I love the culture, the people from day one, since the first time I set foot in the Lone Star State. Back in Brazil, and representing the San Antonio Free Trade Alliance, ocasionally, here and there people notice my using fixin to, and other similar expressions and ask about Texas. Yah, I give them an earfull everytime. After all, we know that about Texas telling the truth is not bragging, right? Bless your heart, y'all!

Old 12-19-2009, 11:50 AM

3,527 posts, read 1,383,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candex View Post
I am originally from Brazil. While living in Canada in the 1980s, I had to pass by Dallas towards Mexico, where my company had business. Then, in 2005 I moved to Carrollton to install an office. Why Texas? For me it is heaven on earth, and I love the culture, the people from day one, since the first time I set foot in the Lone Star State. Back in Brazil, and representing the San Antonio Free Trade Alliance, ocasionally, here and there people notice my using fixin to, and other similar expressions and ask about Texas. Yah, I give them an earfull everytime. After all, we know that about Texas telling the truth is not bragging, right? Bless your heart, y'all!

Yew bet!

Old 08-27-2011, 02:35 PM

1 posts, read 368 times
Here's a few I've heard and used all the live long day.
That baby is as cute as a June bug, cute as a possum, cute as a bug's ear.
Older th' dirt. She's playing possum (Playing dead or pretending to be dumb to catch you out.)
I had ta park out east of Egypt!
He's dumber 'an dirt. One french fry short of a happy meal. Dull as pencil lead. Not the sharpest pencil in the box.
Big as all Texas. Mad as a wet hen. Don't get your feather's ruffled. Mad a hornet's nest.
Get your tail in the air! (Hop to it. Now!) Get out there and bust you tail.
He comes by it honestly. (He inherited that personality trait from somebody in the family.)
Go big or go home. The whole nine yards.
Nervous as a cat. Nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full a rockin' chairs.
Hold the phone. Hold up. Give me a minute.
Quit your fussin'! You kids are gonna make me take to drink!

Old 08-27-2011, 09:46 PM

38,744 posts, read 37,273,681 times
Best I recall hearing was that someone was hanging on tighter than a hair in a biscuit.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:14 PM

3,090 posts, read 5,618,197 times
Any time My Dad didn't yell for me to "pull my thumb out of my a**" cause I "was burnin daylight" it meant I was doing a "fair to middlin" job and that just made me "proud and a peacock" and I began to "strut like the c*ck of the walk". Days like that I could honestly tell folk I was "fine as frog hair" when they asked how I was doing.

I got me two kids that are "pretty as a pair of speckled pups" and "bust the buttons off my chest" when I think on them much. My wife is "purty as a picture" too and I "get fit to be tied" iffn someone "looks at her sideways", but whenever she gets "cattywhompus" over anything, I can generally calm her down by assuring her that I still think she is "cute as the dickens" or "cuter than a newborn calf". It is the little things that "melt her butter" or "float her boat". It don't take much to "tick her off" cause she's "prickly as pear cactus".

Ya'll have a good 'un now and "don't let the doorknob hit ya where the good lord split ya".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas