U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 09:32 PM

630 posts, read 608,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awecelot View Post
The eight original "Public Ivies" are as follows:

UVA, Michigan, UNC, UT-Austin, Miami University (OH), William & Mary, Cal-Berkeley, and Univ. of Vermont.

Public Ivy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I don't buy that list of yours. It's is flawed. I have no doubt that UVA, Michigan, UNC, Berkeley, William & Mary are on that list, but not the rest.

UCLA should be there too.

Miami University and Univ. of Vermont?? Are you kidding me? Maybe 50 years ago, but not in the 21st century. As matter of fact, University of Florida is ranked higher and harder to get into than UT-Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 11:14 PM

808 posts, read 2,328,334 times
Visitor - read the Wikipedia article; the list will make more sense as the reasoning for the designation is not purely academic.

For the record, I have no stake in that list - I am a student at SMU.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:01 AM

7,639 posts, read 5,897,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Sorry I'm going by hearsay.
You may have been thinking of Bob Jones University. ;-) I had a Geology professor whose mantra was, "everything is optional."

Old 09-09-2008, 10:01 AM

1,038 posts, read 2,536,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visitor2007 View Post
Wow, why is Rice on THAT list of yours. Rice is up there Ivies levels such as Duke, Brown, etc. and NOT Texas Tech, Sam Houston, and UNT.
Exactly. I would consider Rice in its own league as far as Texas universities go.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:44 AM

25,170 posts, read 32,274,709 times
I wanted to say that UNT has amazing professors there. Dr. Phil graduated from there! It's a weird and liberal culture there; however, the educators are great.

UTD is young but is up and coming too.

When I was at UT for graduate school, professors were terrible and clearly capitalistic. It's all about the money and nepotism in my opinion. A disgrace to education and a waste of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I've heard from a couple of people that UT and A&M aren't really that good as people think. Baylor is too preachy and force their beliefs on you. I heard Texas Tech,Sam Houston,UNT,and Rice are really good schools and very underrated.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:18 PM

63 posts, read 177,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visitor2007 View Post
Wow, why is Rice on THAT list of yours. Rice is up there Ivies levels such as Duke, Brown, etc. and NOT Texas Tech, Sam Houston, and UNT.

Eh, I agree Rice is in a league of its own in Texas, but don't lump Tech in with the likes of UNT and SHSU.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:50 PM

129 posts, read 238,826 times
UH has been climbing the rankings lately. I think UH is next in line to get promoted to tier 1 status in Texas....along with UT and A&M. Houston needs a premier public University in the city....with the city booming the way it is we need a University that can attract top talent.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:42 PM

63 posts, read 177,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldbfree007 View Post
UH has been climbing the rankings lately. I think UH is next in line to get promoted to tier 1 status in Texas....along with UT and A&M. Houston needs a premier public University in the city....with the city booming the way it is we need a University that can attract top talent.
With all do respect, Texas Tech is next in line for promotion to Tier 1 status. Tech has all the foundations to be a premier research institution. It simply requires adequate funding from the state which has been extremely lacking in years past. UH is a good school settled within a booming metro area, but in terms of endowment, academics and notoriety, it trails far behind Texas Tech.

That being said, I agree UH deserves Tier 1 recognition along with UNT or possibly UT-Dallas. The fact that Texas only has 2 top tier institutions is embarassing. It's a testament to the old school politics that have kept UT and A&M's stranglehold on Texas higher education for their own selfish gains, while the state as a whole suffers.

It's time to move Texas' higher education to where it belongs: Leading the nation. Tech and UH should lead the charge!

Old 09-16-2008, 03:17 PM

384 posts, read 1,007,965 times
I graduated from a so-called "Tier 1" university, and honestly, people make way too much of a deal out of the rankings.
There's too much incentive now for universities to push teaching to the back burner (since it cannot be easily "measured" by the questionably qualified people who author the "ranking" systems), in favor of research dollars, which are easily quantified .

Research dollars are important, of course, but quality instruction also results in a positive economic impact. It's just harder to track.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:19 PM

25,170 posts, read 32,274,709 times
Absolutely true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatex View Post
I graduated from a so-called "Tier 1" university, and honestly, people make way too much of a deal out of the rankings.
There's too much incentive now for universities to push teaching to the back burner (since it cannot be easily "measured" by the questionably qualified people who author the "ranking" systems), in favor of research dollars, which are easily quantified .

Research dollars are important, of course, but quality instruction also results in a positive economic impact. It's just harder to track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas