U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-02-2008, 06:00 PM
 
5,031 posts, read 8,051,602 times
Reputation: 2309

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
There is no definition for a mountain. So technically the Texas hill country can be counted as mountains. So I'd say anywhere from a 3 to 4 hour drive.
There is a definition for a mountain and as nice as the Hill Country of Texas is, it isn't an area of mountains. Maybe that's why it's named Hill Country and not Mountain Country. Mountains have an altitude usually greater than 2,000 feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-02-2008, 08:17 PM
 
Location: Hot-Houston Texas
20,055 posts, read 21,093,969 times
Reputation: 28092
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
Or you could make a run for the Smokeys, about 850 miles to Knoxville, Tn.
They get my vote!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2008, 07:30 AM
 
Location: East Texas, with the Clan of the Cave Bear
1,635 posts, read 2,725,853 times
Reputation: 1583
Real mountains with real snow ... roughly 20 hours to northern New Mexico! The Smokeys are nice but way to crowded and too commercialized. My dad lives 20 miles from Gatlinburg. My father's side of the family settled in the foothills there in the early 1800's. Hard to believe how its changed even in the last 15 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2008, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Southern California native, now a few miles from Lake Michigan
805 posts, read 2,488,843 times
Reputation: 1124
At first I thought this post was a joke, but maybe it's not. It would be hard to get further from mountains than the Golden Triangle area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2008, 09:26 AM
 
Location: Aurora, CO
3,220 posts, read 4,191,660 times
Reputation: 3305
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Real mountains with real snow ... roughly 20 hours to northern New Mexico! The Smokeys are nice but way to crowded and too commercialized. My dad lives 20 miles from Gatlinburg. My father's side of the family settled in the foothills there in the early 1800's. Hard to believe how its changed even in the last 15 years.
The Sierra Blanca Mountains right outside Ruidoso are real mountains, too. 12,000ft max elevation, timberline, snow-capped peaks. New Mexico doesn't have any 14ers so you can either take a 16-20 hour car ride to Taos and see 13,000ft Wheeler Peak or drive about 15 hours to Ruidoso and see 12,000ft Sierra Blanca Peak. Granted, if you go to Taos you can also stop outside Los Alamos and take in the Valles Caldera and Bandelier National Monument, make a casino stop in Pojoaque, and spend some time in Santa Fe.

If you go to Ruidoso, on your way back you can detour a little to Guadalupe Peak and El Capitan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2008, 10:22 AM
 
4,608 posts, read 5,102,123 times
Reputation: 1211
Quote:
The Sierra Blanca Mountains right outside Ruidoso are real mountains
Cloudcroft is a sweet little hideaway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2008, 03:06 PM
 
Location: Corpus Christi
914 posts, read 1,490,817 times
Reputation: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
There is a definition for a mountain and as nice as the Hill Country of Texas is, it isn't an area of mountains. Maybe that's why it's named Hill Country and not Mountain Country. Mountains have an altitude usually greater than 2,000 feet.
Actually there is no REAL definition of a mountain. Look it up yourself. In the hill country near Kingsland there is some mountain. Its Mount something... I forgot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2008, 05:54 PM
 
5,031 posts, read 8,051,602 times
Reputation: 2309
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Actually there is no REAL definition of a mountain. Look it up yourself. In the hill country near Kingsland there is some mountain. Its Mount something... I forgot.
The dictionary says........

a natural elevation of the earth's surface rising more or less abruptly to a summit and attaining an altitude greater than that of a hill, usually greater than 2000 ft. (610 m).

The encyclopedia says........

A mountain is a land form that extends above the surrounding terrain in a limited area, with a peak. A mountain is generally steeper than a hill but there is no universally accepted standard definition for the height of a mountain or a hill although a mountain usually has an identifiable summit.

There is a difference, and I believe most people recognize such as being so. Show me a summit in the hills and I'll really try to accept it as a mountain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2008, 07:16 PM
 
Location: Corpus Christi
914 posts, read 1,490,817 times
Reputation: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
The dictionary says........

a natural elevation of the earth's surface rising more or less abruptly to a summit and attaining an altitude greater than that of a hill, usually greater than 2000 ft. (610 m).

The encyclopedia says........

A mountain is a land form that extends above the surrounding terrain in a limited area, with a peak. A mountain is generally steeper than a hill but there is no universally accepted standard definition for the height of a mountain or a hill although a mountain usually has an identifiable summit.

There is a difference, and I believe most people recognize such as being so. Show me a summit in the hills and I'll really try to accept it as a mountain.
... You really dont have to make a big deal out of this. Lol. I am just saying there is no definite definition of a mountain. If someone wants to say a certain hill in the hill country is a mountain then they aren't wrong. If someone wants to call a mountain in the Rockies a hill, they aren't wrong. Yes there is a difference between a hill and mountain visually. I am sure I'd know, I have been to the Rockies, Appalachians, Bavarian Alps, Sierra Nevada's, and the Texas hill country. They are all very different. but technically speaking, If you wanted to, you could call the hills in the hill country mountains. I think they are just hills, although there was one hill near Kingsland that looked like it could have been called a mountain. I wouldn't think somebody is wrong if they would have wanted to call it a mountain. It sort of resembled Mount Staffelberg, (which barely rises 1,000 ft and is titled a mountain), in Bad Staffelstein, Germany where my grandma lives. Anyways, I really think if you want a little hill to be a mountain then so be it. Its not wrong. Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2008, 08:12 PM
 
Location: Upper East Side of Texas
12,535 posts, read 13,925,665 times
Reputation: 4873
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIS350ZTT View Post
What are the closest/nearest mountains to Nederland/Port Arthur/Beaumont?
Are you serious? Texas has mountains, but they're waayy out in West Texas.

Arkansas would probably have the closest mountain range to Southeast Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top