Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2008, 02:40 PM

17 posts, read 67,976 times

Advertisements

Hope you all can help. My family and I are considering a move to the Rockwall area. What is the best smallish town? We don't want anything too big (preferably under 15,000 people), good schools, reasonable home prices, dog-friendly and close enough for my husband to commute to Rockwall and me to Dallas or Fort Worth for work.
Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 04:42 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,694,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melkreeves View Post
Hope you all can help. My family and I are considering a move to the Rockwall area. What is the best smallish town? We don't want anything too big (preferably under 15,000 people), good schools, reasonable home prices, dog-friendly and close enough for my husband to commute to Rockwall and me to Dallas or Fort Worth for work.
Thanks for your help!
Wylie is nice... my wife commutes from Sachse (near Wylie) down to Rockwall 4 days a week, and it's about a 25 minute drive. Wylie puts you closer to Plano, so there's plenty of shopping and activities, but it's still got quiet areas.

Moving east of Rockwall there are really pretty areas. You can look at Royse City or Caddo Mills. But that puts you further away from Dallas.

Going south of Rockwall there's Forney, which I hear is a great town... but I haven't been over that way yet. Lots of development, good schools, etc.

I wouldn't look to work in Fort Worth if your husband is going to work in Rockwall though, unless you both want to split the difference and both drive an hour or more to work each day.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:10 PM

11,818 posts, read 26,662,098 times
Rockwall to Fort Worth will be an impossible commute unless you own a helicopter... that is a LONG way, and you're looking at least 2 HOURS EACH WAY!!

Old 09-04-2008, 09:20 AM

So Sachse and Wylie are both close enough to Rockwall and Plano to commute either way? How far would they be from Dallas?

Old 09-04-2008, 10:47 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,681,737 times
Quote:
So Sachse and Wylie are both close enough to Rockwall and Plano to commute either way? How far would they be from Dallas?
Why not just look in Rockwall. It is a GREAT little place to live and a lot of amenities. While it has grown a lot in the last few years it still has a great small town flavor. Then if your in Rockwall you have a straight shot down I-30 to Dallas. I live in Garland, which is the largest city on this side of Dallas (Sachse is about a mile up the road from me and Wylie just past that). I'd personally take Rockwall over Sachse or Wylie, jmho. If your in Sachse or Wylie and need to commute to Dallas your going to be taking a more "indirect" approach to commute to Dallas if you have a job in the downtown vicinity. Depending on your job you could end up w/ a job in Rockwall or Garland (both are big areas for employment). What field are you looking in and then we would be able to let you know that you would have just as good a chance of finding a job in the same area you live in?

Old 09-04-2008, 11:14 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,699,908 times
Everything would depend on your price range. Rockwall is VERY proud of their land, and most newer homes are now over a half million! I wouldn't put some limit on size of city like 15k because all the building is going this way since they just annouced the Bush Turnpike will be complete around 2011 and that's going to bring even more people.

So, Royce City, Fate, Rowlett, and all those eastern cities will be woken up very quickly. "Dallas" is subjective. Dallas has a huge footprint. Dallas goes into pockets of Garland, down way south to Seagoville, east past Irving, and as far north as the Collin County line in Far North Dallas. You would need to be a little more specific on where you would be finding a job, but there are tons of suburbs with jobs as well, but you didn't mention a field. Richardson, Plano, Carrollton, Allen, Frisco, etc... tons of job growth all over, so don't limit yourself to saying "Dallas".

For the most part, Rockwall is right off I30 and that will take you into the heart of downtown Dallas in under 20 minutes.

Let me know if you need any more specific information.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:58 PM

Just kind of getting general information right now. My husband could go and work for his company in Rockwall anytime. I personally am a paralegal and also have experience in mortgage banking and as an executive assistant, so any major city would have what I'm looking for. Most important to me is reasonable home prices and great schools.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:23 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,694,969 times
Quote:
Just kind of getting general information right now. My husband could go and work for his company in Rockwall anytime. I personally am a paralegal and also have experience in mortgage banking and as an executive assistant, so any major city would have what I'm looking for. Most important to me is reasonable home prices and great schools.
My advice is to visit the area then. You can look online and listen to advice here, but honestly, until you get here and drive around, you won't know which areas you like the best.

We picked out a few areas to look at and fell in love with areas that people suggested that we stay away from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas