U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 10:20 AM

147 posts, read 320,740 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thinking about retiring to the RGV area around Harlingen. We have visited Mexico on several occassions and one of the features that the Mrs likes are the plazas where she could sit have a cup of coffee and have a cigarette. Does Harlingen have a similar lay out or is it like the standard US small town with the downtown business district and parks on the outskirts?
Rain - Do all the sections of the RGV flood? I've been following the last few storms in the local RGV papers and it appears that just with a couple of inches of rain the area starts to resemble a biblical scene for Noah's Ark. Are there any areas not affected by floods in Harlingen?
Crime - I know that there is no place on this earth that is entirely "crime free". However I have been reading the local papers for about a year (Monitor and Valley Star) and it looks like crime especially violent crime is rampant in the RGV (murders, a kidnapping of a US citizen in Mexico but set up by an American, car jackings and attempted murder of cops - I have no idea what the situation concerning car thefts, robberies and burglaries but it can't be good) especially in the McAllen area.
Our preliminary plans are to visit the area in February for about 7-10 days and meet with some real estate people to see what kind of homes are for sale in our price tange ($150K-$200K). Can anyone recommend a RE agent in the Harlingen area?
Thanks in advance
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 09:42 AM

304 posts, read 1,055,740 times
Default Harlingen

Before we finalized our purchase of a home in Corpus we visited Harlingen and looked at several areas with a real estate agent. Harlingens downtown is really nothing but small shops and drainage is a problem in many neighborhoods during less than heavy rain events so we decided not to move there. We did not check out schools. We also checked out McAllen while we were there.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:05 PM

5,640 posts, read 14,494,600 times
Hugh,
Crime is nothing in the RGV. Things like burglary and theft are rampant. As far as murders and such, you have nothing to worry about...you can walk alone on the streets and be safe. Flooding is a problem if you're in a flood prone area. The reason I moved from the area was because of the weather...too humid for me.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:03 PM

2,259 posts, read 9,086,099 times
ohmygosh - there are tons of Winter Texans in the RGV from the months of November to March. Some like it so much they decide to stay. There's a nice 55 and over community called Stuart Place country club that will have houses in your price range. It's also on a 3 par golf course Stuart Place Country Club, Harlingen, TX 78552 (http://monitoryellowpages.com/Stuart+Place+Country+Club.9.17129698p.home.html - broken link)

Also look in Treasure Hills, it's not a retirement community, but a nice neighborhood in Harlingen near the medical centers. There are many mobile home communities - Fun N Sun and some others, but you mentioned wanting a house. Harlingen is a nice city, 30 mins from the beach and 30 mins from Mexico or McAllen. I don't of any realtors, personally.

Old 11-10-2014, 02:24 AM

2 posts, read 1,772 times
I'm caming from orange county California, looking for a cheap place to have a new start. I have two children do you know is possible to find job in harlingen?

Old 11-10-2014, 07:14 PM

10,505 posts, read 22,346,689 times
The Rio Grande Valley has historically had the highest unemoyment in the entire state of Texas. If you are not bilingual, or have some sort of marketable job skill, you are going to have a tough time finding work.

http://www.bls.gov/web/metro/mmartcr1.gif

Old 11-13-2014, 08:46 PM

2,920 posts, read 5,071,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by david buniel View Post
I'm caming from orange county California, looking for a cheap place to have a new start. I have two children do you know is possible to find job in harlingen?
Doubtful. Look elsewhere. There are innumerable better options than the RGV.

Old 07-16-2019, 04:31 PM

5 posts, read 1,016 times
I moved to Harlingen in 2018. These are just general comments. I live in my motorhome and pay 16 cents per kilowatt. At 100° in July that comes to about 110.00 a month for one person in a 31ft. motorhome. Most of the valley pays around 11 cents per kilowatt. It's hot and humid until the end of October. Mosquitoes are a problem. You should keep your skin covered and use Off® with Deet. The county sprays for mosquitoes but the mosquitoes generally win. When it rains it generally floods county wide. Look to the area near the airport off 499 loop. It seems to have better drainage because of the airport and 499 highway. ? It's still a mystery to me

Old 07-16-2019, 04:44 PM

There is a really nice neighborhood being built adjacent to the airport in Harlingen. All the houses appeared to being built with brick making it an attractive neighborhood. Drainage issues have been addressed however Texas is very flat as we know. Official numbers read that 39% of the Harlingen area is Mexican, however I think it's closer to 85%. Many light-skinned Hispanic people consider themselves white. Honestly, I have not run into an unfriendly person here. My automobile insurance did go up $150 a year, mostly because of auto thefts.

Old 07-16-2019, 05:44 PM

I moved to Harlingen because it's warm enough here to live in a motorhome. I tried the panhandle of Florida but it's too cold. I found South Florida a good option but not as good as Southern Texas. The beach is close by and Nuevo Progreso, Mexico is still a fairly safe place to visit. With Walmart and HEB (Howard Edward Butts) grocery store, you'll want for very little here. Brownsville and McAllen have more commercial stores to offer. I'm a retired pilot living within my means in the subtropical heat rather comfortably. My dentist is in Progreso, Mexico. I've been seeing him since 1999. If I can be of any assistance to you I'd be happy to help. I'm just watching the airplanes take off and land most days...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas