Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 02:00 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times

Advertisements

Snakes? Nothing to worry about. ;-)

They do offer classes to get over ophidiophobia. Its not meant to be an insult, but sometimes taking some courses/sessions to get over your fear is the best thing anyone can do for themself. Would you believe that when I was growing up I had a HUGE fear of snakes? It was so bad that one time I was carrying my 5 year old nephew and spotted a garter snake between my legs. I dropped my nephew and ran away. Luckily my nephew didnt get hurt!!!!!!! Yikes!!!!! Know how I got over my fear? I held a friends' kingsnake several times. Now I own 2 myself and am an avid snake lover and spend lots of time each year out in the wild looking for them.

If you have any questions, let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 10:48 AM

3 posts, read 7,874 times
I know this was posted a while ago. I am considering a job transfer from New England to Houston. I am horribly phobic of snakes. It is a major problem with me and has been all of my life. Is the "concrete jungle" the only living situation where I can count on not seeing a snake? I have two small dogs who have Bellaire, and we would like to be as close to the office as possible. Please help me, as I would rather work for minimum wage here, then chance a sighting and not be albe to leave my house again. Thank you!

Old 09-27-2009, 08:02 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,631,650 times
For any snake problem there is also a snake solution!

Old 09-27-2009, 10:26 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
Ewww!

Old 09-28-2009, 10:57 AM

1,306 posts, read 3,120,002 times
Poor snake. He was just helping keep the tree rat population down...

Old 09-28-2009, 01:06 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,243,697 times
By in large you are not going to encounter snakes in the big city.

A friend of mine lives on nine acres in between two small towns and she had two rattlers in her backyard about a year ago. They were very aggressive and actually started moving towards her, so the husband got out the trusty shot gun. Nuff said.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:22 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
I agree. A harmless rat or garter snake I'd leave alone. A rattle snake is a whole different story!!

Old 09-29-2009, 09:33 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,631,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calel View Post
Poor snake. He was just helping keep the tree rat population down...
Just won't work beside the driveway and with three kids under 12.

I can manage the squirrels without the dangerous interlopers.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:13 PM

958 posts, read 2,132,958 times
I've lived in the Metroplex for twenty some years and saw mainly water moccasins, Lots of lakes in that area. Then moved up to the panhandle ten years ago and seen lots of bull snakes, corn snakes, a few (very few) water moccasins, grass snakes and of course rattle snakes.

After having to get out in open fields where they like lounge the one thing I've learned about them is it's not the ones I can see that's the problem. It's the ones I CAN'T see that worry me.
I never get out of the pick up without my shovel though.
Had a baby rattler strike my boot last year but no harm was done. I ground it's head into the dirt with the boot it struck at.

Just do a little home work on them and learn the species. Then just be alert in the areas the may be in.
The only other alternative is to stay in the truck.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:12 AM

34 posts, read 138,868 times
I've always heard that if you burn a trash can of old rags or bucket of old rags it will keep the snakes away. I think just any kind of burning smoke will make snakes leave and area. Keeping cats or dogs around will alert one to any snakes that are present also.

I've been here 5 and a half years and have only seen 2 killed on the highways; one in Mitchell County and the other Dawson County. I actually bought a snake bite kit when it got here but it just sits in the drawer (and I pray it will). I think I saw more snakes back in central Arkansas then out here but again we had 25 species of then back there: 4 poisonous and 21 not.

There is a round up every year in the spring time in both Sweetwater and Big Spring. There was even a man out by Rosco or Eastland that was bottling baby snakes in whiskey and selling it as some virility tonic; he was shut down on business by the state.

I would worry more of Africanized bees or fire ants in Texas than snakes or even the bats; just watch were you walk and wear good heavy footwear like hiking boots; especialy be observant around bodies of water or fallen wood snags and brush piles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas