U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 06:07 PM

441 posts, read 1,008,311 times
Default Snake Problems in Texas?

Ok so I heard some people saying that snakes are a big problem in some areas of Texas. Is this true or just a rumour? Which areas are they so I can stay away from them because I am EXTREMELY TERRIFIED of snakes. I don't even look at movies with snakes, pictures, or even toy snakes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 06:22 PM

16,234 posts, read 22,143,012 times
I've lived in Texas my entire life. When I was little, I had 40 snakes in jars in my back yard so that I would learn to identify the dangerous ones from the harmless (and even helpful) ones. But I lived on 800 acres in East Texas, and that 800 acres was surrounded by more thousands of acres.

Today I live on 55 acres in the country. We see the occasional rat snake in the chicken coop after the eggs.

When I lived in the city, I saw, in the 20-odd years I lived there, one snake. We lived in a house on the edge of the greenbelt - I also saw possums and raccoons and such.

Some people will never see a snake in their lives, if they live in the city. Believe it or not, snakes are at least as afraid of you as you are of them - except that, in addition to being as terrifying to them as they are to you, you're, oh, 50 to 60 times their size. If they can avoid you, they will.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:30 PM

Thanks so much!!!! What about in Houston? I don't want to live in the country part of Texas but in the big city. Does Houston have snake problems?

Old 09-08-2008, 06:33 PM

16,234 posts, read 22,143,012 times
Now, that I couldn't tell you from personal experience, never having lived in Houston, but perhaps someone on here could. Or you could post in the Houston thread and ask.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:38 PM

550 posts, read 964,836 times
Post Snakes Alive!!!

Snake problem in Texas? No we have plenty. Actually I agree 100 percent with THLady. I to live in the country and run into them occasionally. When my wife moved out here she was scared of them to but after ten years here she is much less afraid. She was even working in the garden the other day as was I when she spotted a grass snake she just stood up back up a step and said (no yelling) snake. I flip it out into the pasture and she went back to what she was doing. But you do need to know your snakes if you live in the country no matter where in the lower 48 states. In the cities it would be unusual to see one.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:42 PM

Thumbs up Try again.

Ya'll are posting faster than I can type so I'm getting way behind in a hurray. So I will make it short. I lived in Houston and never saw any in town. in the subs at the edges you might see one occasionally.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeweld View Post
Snake problem in Texas? No we have plenty. Actually I agree 100 percent with THLady. I to live in the country and run into them occasionally. When my wife moved out here she was scared of them to but after ten years here she is much less afraid. She was even working in the garden the other day as was I when she spotted a grass snake she just stood up back up a step and said (no yelling) snake. I flip it out into the pasture and she went back to what she was doing. But you do need to know your snakes if you live in the country no matter where in the lower 48 states. In the cities it would be unusual to see one.
But if I live in Houston I won't see one?

Old 09-08-2008, 07:13 PM

Question Depends?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brit3218 View Post
Brit it would depend exactly where you are going to live, if you want a guarantee. If you live town down in the concrete jungle I can guarantee it unless some one has a pet snake in their town house. Where do you live now is a question on my mind as to compare by, and what part of Houston are we talking about.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:44 PM

3,700 posts, read 11,095,033 times
Quote:

If you live somewhere other than downtown Houston, you may see a snake or two. I do alot of gardening in my yard and have seen several (maybe the same one several times?) in the past year. Usually the little brown snakes less than 9 inches long. I leave them alone as they are not poisonous and eat the slugs and pests from my garden. I have never seen a poisonous snake in my yard, though I have seen them when up at the lake or out rock/fossil hunting in the woods.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:55 PM

283 posts, read 873,757 times
Default Snakes in Houston? VERY few!

Quote:
Yes, we have snakes in Houston. But, in all the time (don't ask how long) I've lived here I've only seen a few snakes (in town). Now, say you live on Buffalo Bayou in River Oaks or Memorial (I wish), you may see some water moccasins or copperheads, or maybe even a coral snake. But, probably very, very rarely. And, if you live near woods or water some place else, you're more likely to see a few than if you live in most "regular" Houston neighborhoods. But, for most of us Houstonians, snakes are very rarely seen unless you work at the Zoo, or in a pet store.

I'd be more concerned about the skeeters and termites and drunk drivers than snakes. Every day, when I walk out the front door (or through the garage door), my concern about snakes is probably some place about No. 203,549 on my list of "worries", right behind No. 203,548 which is having a space alien kidnap me.

So, Hey, if you want something to worry about in Houston, worry about having to evacuate before Saturday. Ike's headed toward Texas, or some place thereabouts.

P.S. I can tolerate snakes but kidney pie? Are you bringing any kidney pie to Houston? Yuck and EERP. Please don't. Just leave your kidney pie at home and we'll treat you to some chicken-fried steak in exchange. So, remember. No kidney pie - no snakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas