U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-05-2007, 10:37 AM

2 posts, read 3,609 times

Advertisements

Hello. My family and I are hoping to relocate. We are looking for a family-friendly community, a reasonable cost of living (we would like 4-5 bedroom home in a nice neighborhood for $200,000 or less), within one hour's drive to the beach/Gulf, and warm weather. I don't mind hot weather, but my husband doesn't like it too hot. We also need to be within commuting distance to a major medical center-my husband is in the healthcare management field. Do you hve any ideas for us? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2007, 03:47 PM

2,353 posts, read 6,233,674 times
If you want to be that close to the Gulf then I suggest somewhere in Houston. Sorry can't be more specfic than that since I don't live there but in San Antonio but everywhere in Texas during the summers are warm to hot(90s all summer long)

Old 02-05-2007, 03:57 PM

5,345 posts, read 9,120,994 times
Pearland, maybe Sugar Land or Clear Lake (all Houston area suburbs) sound like a perfect fit. The Texas Medical Center in Houston is the largest in the nation and many top-notch hospitals. You can get to Galveston beach in an hour or less from those locations.

I don't know any other major city in Texas where you can get to the beach in an hour. All the other cities near the coast are much smaller and will have fewer jobs and amenities.

Old 02-05-2007, 06:54 PM

1,883 posts, read 1,496,170 times
Define major medical center.Corpus Christi is on the coast and has a pop of almost 300,000. Beaumont is about 115,000,and Brownsville is about 140,000.Other than one of these,Houston will be your only other choice.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:15 AM

2 posts, read 3,609 times
Thank you for your ideas. By major medical center, I mean a hospital with a quality assurance department. Brownsville sounds perfect for me (temperature-wise), but my husband insists Brownsville is not a very safe place to live. He grew up in Dallas and remembers Brownsville being constantly in the news for drug/gang-related violence. I will research the other areas mentioned, though. Are any of you familiar with Corpus Christi? What is the quality of the schools? What are some good neighborhoods to check out? Thank you!!!

Old 02-13-2007, 12:09 PM

52 posts, read 241,557 times
Itstoocold:

Great news--my husband is also in healthcare management--we'd like to get closer to our mothers so back north--
Sugar Land is safe (its where we live)

Specifically what kind of work is your husband in? Mine might be of great help.

Old 02-13-2007, 01:22 PM

2,746 posts, read 9,852,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itstoocoldhere View Post
Thank you for your ideas. By major medical center, I mean a hospital with a quality assurance department. Brownsville sounds perfect for me (temperature-wise), but my husband insists Brownsville is not a very safe place to live. He grew up in Dallas and remembers Brownsville being constantly in the news for drug/gang-related violence. I will research the other areas mentioned, though. Are any of you familiar with Corpus Christi? What is the quality of the schools? What are some good neighborhoods to check out? Thank you!!!

I remember hearing the same about Brownsville.

Check out these links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland,_Texas

http://www.portlandtx.com/

(the second one even has a cheesy little promo video! LOL!)

I grew up in Portland, TX. It is known for being a "place to raise a family". Not much else to do there! I mean job-wise... but it is super close to Corpus Christi (10 minutes), and about 20 minutes from the beach at Port Aransas.

I now live in San Antonio and have since I was 14, but my formative years were in Portland.

It was very safe then and is considered very safe now. As a child I rode my bike all over town and always walked to and from school alone. We never locked our doors. We spent every weekend at the beach. The town is not tiny but it is heavily focused on football and church.... not so much that it bothered us really, but I wouldn't want to live there now (just me though, I don't like small towns). Nice homes, sidewalks everywhere, decent parks, pretty views, very all-American.

Worth a look for what you're searching for! It even has a Starbuck's now (as of last year). Never thought I'd see that! LOL!

Old 02-13-2007, 03:59 PM

1,067 posts, read 3,929,065 times
I would look in the Clearlake area and other burbs of Houston that are close to the beach. Houston area is going to give your husband more opportunity and flexibilty with jobs. Corpus is a small town and if he takes a job there and finds he doesn't like it, he could be stuck. Just more opportunity if you live in Houston. jm2cents

Old 02-15-2007, 02:16 PM

343 posts, read 1,057,129 times
Hello,

I got in a carwreck a couple of decades ago and they took me to Victoria TX for extensive surgery. I was wacked out on drugs when I checked out but I have to admit that they gave me great service and I know Victoria is not too far from the gulf. My professor from ITT moved there and started teaching electronics at a local school. I have met him there a few times and gone on to the gulf for fishing and he could not stop talking about how much he loved Victoria. Do not have specific info, but it is a decent sized town.
Just a thought.

Good Luck,

Crazed chef

Old 02-16-2007, 01:48 PM

5,345 posts, read 9,120,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
I would look in the Clearlake area and other burbs of Houston that are close to the beach. Houston area is going to give your husband more opportunity and flexibilty with jobs. Corpus is a small town and if he takes a job there and finds he doesn't like it, he could be stuck. Just more opportunity if you live in Houston. jm2cents
Very true -- look at the Bay Area of Houston, Pearland, maybe Sugar Land...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas