Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 01:42 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heracles View Post
It has been my experience that the most vocal about the merits of Texas have traveled outside of Texas the least.
It's been my experience that those holding this viewpoint tend to be the ones who know the least about the people they're stating it about and where they've been. Assumption, much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 11:11 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,372,237 times
Quote:
It has been my experience that the most vocal about the merits of Texas have traveled outside of Texas the least.
I have visited ~25/50 states, I lived in Italy for 1.5 years, I've been to Spain, France, Germany, Switzerland, England, ....

BIG assumption on your part!

Old 09-14-2008, 07:25 AM

225 posts, read 342,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanwannabe View Post
I have visited ~25/50 states, I lived in Italy for 1.5 years, I've been to Spain, France, Germany, Switzerland, England, ....

BIG assumption on your part!
Well, then you know that Texas is just another place, albeit with arrogance just below Alaska...and nothing can make Texans run to their atlas to document their travels like the statement I made. Thanks.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Well, then you know that Texas is just another place, albeit with arrogance just below Alaska...and nothing can make Texans run to their atlas to document their travels like the statement I made. Thanks.
These were your statements! I am very vocal about the merits of Texas and I have traveled probably more than you, AND lived in a different country for almost 2 years. So your first statement holds absolutely NO water! When you're wrong, you're wrong!

Your second statement is a matter of opinion--one which I disagree with. Texas is just another place to some people, but to others (myself included) it is a whole other unique place. A place which I hold dear in my heart. You certainly don't have to agree. As I said, it's a matter of opinion.

And me and others "running to our atlas to document our travels" are just rebuttals to your first statement to prove you are wrong!

Old 09-14-2008, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
It's been my experience that those holding this viewpoint tend to be the ones who know the least about the people they're stating it about and where they've been. Assumption, much?
Well said THL, as usual! (Tried to give you reps, but I have to spread the wealth around before I can give it to you again!)

Old 09-14-2008, 08:20 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
This would seem to mean that you deliberately troll with that statement or ones like it just to see the Texans "run to their atlas". Surely that's not what you meant?

Besides which, the responses that I heard were of people stating their own experiences in travels, not something they'd need an atlas for. At worst, they'd need to consult their passports to make sure they didn't miss any.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:36 AM

I might be guilty of trolling a bit. But Texans are just too easy. Look, I live in Texas, I'm not from there, I, too, have traveled widely and I just don't think Texas is terribly unique. Everywhere I go has good points and bad but all too many Texans are guilty of overlooking the bad when it is inside their border. The fact that a number of people here got their backs up over a simple observation only confirms it in my mind. If Texas is so great, it can stand a little criticism, eh?

You know the "Don't Mess With Texas" bumper stickers? Do you think that "Don't Bother With Texas" stickers would sell? I think they would really fly off the shelf.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:06 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
I saw a very off-color tee shirt depicting the state of CA shape and the state of TX shape which said, "Let's mess with Texas." It's very uncouth and anyone who would wear it is, in my estimation, uncouth as well.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:21 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,381,458 times
Well, Texas aint for everyone. If you don't like it, may I ask why you live here? Unless you are in the military or incarcerated (which you aint cuz you wouldnt have internet access in prison), you are ot held here involuntarily, right?

Quote:
I might be guilty of trolling a bit. But Texans are just too easy. Look, I live in Texas, I'm not from there, I, too, have traveled widely and I just don't think Texas is terribly unique. Everywhere I go has good points and bad but all too many Texans are guilty of overlooking the bad when it is inside their border. The fact that a number of people here got their backs up over a simple observation only confirms it in my mind. If Texas is so great, it can stand a little criticism, eh?

You know the "Don't Mess With Texas" bumper stickers? Do you think that "Don't Bother With Texas" stickers would sell? I think they would really fly off the shelf.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
Well, Texas aint for everyone. If you don't like it, may I ask why you live here? Unless you are in the military or incarcerated (which you aint cuz you wouldnt have internet access in prison), you are to held here involuntarily, right?
I am not unhappy living in Texas, just like I was not unhappy living in lots of other places. You have to make of it what you can. Some Texans behave like the overly patriotic - meaning you completely love it and never speak ill of it, or you should get out. I will point out where Texas can improve and I'll praise Texas when deserved. Sorry, you don't own the rights to the Texas brand and it sounds like you could benefit from a critical eye in any case. Maybe you should start a Texas thread where no criticism is allowed. Then it will just be glorious big hats, ranches and wildflowers. Sigh.
So what about my bumper sticker idea?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: