Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2008, 02:19 PM

2 posts, read 2,917 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Im Ryan and i suppose if i explain a bit about myself any answers i get will be more worthwhile. I am 22 years old, and i have a fiance who is also 22 years old. We both live in Belfast, Northern Ireland. I am looking into the possibility of relocating from Belfast to Texas within the next few years. I have a degree in Chemistry and have 3 years work experience with 4th biggest UK bank and currently work for Norbrook laboratories which is a global drugs company in their Research and development department. My fiance does not have any third level education although she does have some qualifications in I.T. and Management.
Other than applying for the green card, I am wondering is their anything else I can do to help my dream of relocating to texas? I have to say, I love the people, the natural beauty, the sport and culture, and everything Texas stands for. Are there many jobs for Chemists in texas?I am quite handy with computers and would be prepared to get relevant qualifications in I.T. if it would help me live/settle in the area. My Fiance would be prpeared to get more qualifications if required so any help on the matter is welcomed. Also, any ideas on where to live would be greatly appreciated. I hope to start a young family soon, either here or in Texas, and such schools and the right community/envioronment would be important to us. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated and Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 02:31 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,816,344 times
Houston and Dallas would be primary cities for petrochemical, more so in Houston. i was in the geochestry division of ARCO in Plano, but that has since been bought out by BP and haven't followed it since. YOu could start with some searches on online recruiting firms such as www.careerbuilder.com for chemists.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:15 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,230,133 times
Come on down, we'll keep a flag waving for you.

Download your complete copy of the Texas Travel Guide (13.44 MB) for info on places and things Texas.

Look for the Lone Star

Old 09-10-2008, 07:42 PM

170 posts, read 598,501 times
The larger cities where you're likely to find the kinds of jobs you're looking for are pretty different from one another. If you tell us what kind of town you're looking for, we can give some advice that might narrow your search a bit.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:27 PM

2 posts, read 2,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edubya View Post
The larger cities where you're likely to find the kinds of jobs you're looking for are pretty different from one another. If you tell us what kind of town you're looking for, we can give some advice that might narrow your search a bit.
to be honest im open to any suggestions. Ideally I would like a nice place to bring up a family and I have a great love of the outdoors so a place where nature isn't too far away would be perfect.

Im looking at Houston and Dallas at the min (kinda selfish - i love NFL!) and i like what i see although i have heard good things about Austin.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:52 PM

170 posts, read 598,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rloughlin03 View Post
to be honest im open to any suggestions. Ideally I would like a nice place to bring up a family and I have a great love of the outdoors so a place where nature isn't too far away would be perfect.

Im looking at Houston and Dallas at the min (kinda selfish - i love NFL!) and i like what i see although i have heard good things about Austin.
You've probably seen discussions about Texas hill country, regarded by many as the prettiest part of Texas, and your best bet for access to that is living in or near Austin or San Antonio. I mention that area only because you mentioned a love of the outdoors.

Houston is the fourth-largest city in the US, and it is absolutely sprawling. You'd be closer to the Gulf coast, which is good, bad, or both, depending on your perspective. Lots of restaurants and stuff to do, and good schools too, if you live in the right area. The biggest drawbacks for my taste are the weather (especially the humidity), traffic, and comparatively unappealing surrounding terrain. If you want to live close to Houston without being in the thick of things, The Woodlands is quite nice.

If you're considering Dallas, you're really considering the entire Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex. I prefer the Fort Worth side myself as it's a little more laid back and not so large. But there are lots of jobs, lots of good schools, and several lakes and parks not too far off from any part of DFW. The weather's a bit drier than Houston, too.

If you plan to visit Ireland a lot, you might also consider which airport has the best flights. I'm guessing DFW comes first, with IAH following close behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas