U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 08:50 PM

3,494 posts, read 9,728,401 times

Advertisements

Even if you are in Central Texas and not on the coast, we surely will have some nasty weather, potential power outages/flooding/hail
So what are yall doing in preparation?

Just asking so I can get an idea, for things i may not have thought of, when i am off Friday runnin' around doing errands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 08:52 PM

5,031 posts, read 8,034,354 times
I'm not doing anything. I hope it pours like crazy the whole weekend and gives us a much needed break from the heat. Actually I had planned a full weekend working in the yard but I won't be broken hearted if it rains to keep me from it another week.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:54 PM

well, what i meant, was not in terms of activities..but to prepare for the storm in terms of what to have handy, stock up on, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I'm not doing anything. I hope it pours like crazy the whole weekend and gives us a much needed break from the heat.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:55 PM

5,031 posts, read 8,034,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
well, what i meant, was not in terms of activities..but to prepare for the storm in terms of what to have handy, stock up on, etc
Yes, I know that's what you meant and the first part of my post answered the question ("I'm not doing anything"). I really don't think any preparation is necessary in central Texas.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:21 PM

595 posts, read 1,724,620 times
Belle,
Just watched the news at 6 and they said Tyler could have 8 inches of rain and 90 mile an hour wind......!!!!!! They also said DFW could have hurricane force winds and lots of rain. I'm going to go buy some extra batteries just in case we lose electric...and we surely will with 90 mile an hour winds...we may need to use the flashlights at night to get around. It's too dang dark out in the country when you have electic...and when you don't have lights .....it's really dark! We have about 40 mature pines in our yard....some over 60 ft. tall.....YIKES! If the lights go out for to long...we may be grilling fools in order not to lose everything in the freezer! LOL!

Last edited by destin04; 09-10-2008 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: changed word

Old 09-10-2008, 09:43 PM

3,205 posts, read 4,171,370 times
Dallas usually gets 1 or 2 good wind storms per year with 60+ mile per hour gusts. I doubt Ike will be over that when it hits Dallas. No prepping for the storm but I will have the roofer on speed dial after it passes to replace the 3 dozen shingles that will blow off my roof for the umpteenth time.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:48 PM

2,241 posts, read 6,565,700 times
We aren't going overboard, but making sure that the yard is picked up so that the wind doesn't blow anything into the house or windows.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:50 PM

90 posts, read 349,583 times
Must be gonna be bad, they cancelled college football! The Texas vs Arkansas has been moved from this Saturday, to Sept 27th.

Guess I'll: fill the truck up (plus the cans), get some propane for the grill (plus the coleman), half dozens cases of water (plus gatorade) and some extra bread. Maybe more antiseptic.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:53 PM

3,205 posts, read 4,171,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caendaniels View Post
Must be gonna be bad, they cancelled college football! The Texas vs Arkansas has been moved from this Saturday, to Sept 27th.

Guess I'll: fill the truck up (plus the cans), get some propane for the grill (plus the coleman), half dozens cases of water (plus gatorade) and some extra bread. Maybe more antiseptic.
The National Weather Service is predicting Ike will be a Cat 2 when it tracks over Shiner on Friday Night.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:56 PM

yeah i reckon im just thinking about the very very basic things. for instance, i am skeered of driving in bad weather, esp heavy rain. afraid of hydroplaning, losing control, poor visibility, but mostly, of other drivers who drive too fast in the rain...and next thing ya know, that quick trip into town to HEB to get some diet cokes or dog food, ends up me being in the ER, victim of an MVC (motor vehicle crash)..i have been an ER nurse too long, so i think that way too much.
so basic things being, having extra dog food around, cokes or whatever i want to drink, toilet paper, matches/lighters, candles, and a few batteries for my lanterns, any toiletries..that kinda thing..
i expect after friday, to probably not drive anywhere till monday for work. and dont want my dogs starving. and dont want to sit in the dark by myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Yes, I know that's what you meant and the first part of my post answered the question ("I'm not doing anything"). I really don't think any preparation is necessary in central Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas