Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 06:41 PM

874 posts, read 2,892,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
Yeah, great to have the seawall there for at least half the island. But it's only on the gulf facing side. Water is gonna rise in the bay as well and inter-coastal waterway, the backside of the island. The residential parts of the island are not at seawall level, but lower. And that water is gonna be flowing all around as the surf pounds in pulls out... well, enough of that.

Afterwards will be good business for construction.
In-laws left the island late this morning. Water was already rising for the in-laws that live near the bay - no rain yet. Many streets in Galveston flood quickly even in moderate but consistent rain; their street is horrid when it rains and of course during tropical storms (never experienced a hurricane when I lived in Galveston, but did go through a couple of tropical storms). 2 in-laws are staying on the island, but I haven't gotten any updates from them recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 08:56 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,513,539 times
It is very likely that most or all of Galveston Island will be uninhabitable for months after this storm. Ike is larger...and there is far more vulnerable construction on the coast...than the 1900 "Issac storm". 11,000 residence decided to remain on the island. This very well could be an incredible humanitarian catastrophe.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:27 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
I posted this on another thread, but I'm trying to get my head around a 15-22 foot storm surge in this heavily populated low lying area.

From Weather Underground:

The Kemah Boardwalk is what.....8-10 feet above the shoreline? The water level will be 8 - 15 feet ABOVE the boardwalk?

League City, Kemah, La Porte, TX City, Baytown etc. Wouldn't ALL of these cities (for the most part) be under 20 (or 10) feet of elevation?

& with a 17 - 20 foot surge on the Bolivar Peninsula (aka West Beach) wouldn't every single home (many of them new & beautiful beach homes) west of the seawall be damaged or destroyed?

Wow.

Am i looking at this wrong? (i hope so)
Thankfully the surges weren't as bad as the projections stated above.

Also, I confused the Bolivar Pen. (Crystal Beach, High Island etc.) with West Beach. (They're on either side of downtown Galveston).

I'm sure both areas suffered damage.....but I'm very concerned for the Bolivar Pen. (which would have received the counterclockwise (n/e) punch). I believe the famous helicopter saving the family video viewed yesterday...came from Crystal Beach & that is VERY flat skinny land.

I haven't seen any video this morning from there....but i hope everyone else evacuated from there or it would have been VERY bad for people who stayed.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:56 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,513,539 times
Absolutely very good news that the storm surge was lower than predicted. The way I understand it the surge was disrupted by sand bars located just off shore that the computer models used cannot include in their calculations. This was a very lucky error.

Old 09-13-2008, 02:23 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,948,625 times
HURRY RGV get down there, we need your pictures!

Old 09-13-2008, 10:24 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
have heard that corpus took a bigger beating than anticipated.......

Old 09-13-2008, 10:42 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
I heard from someone down there (checked in on one of my horse lists - she had too many horses to evacuate) that said that they got no wind or rain, which surprised me.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:33 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
Yeah, the left side of Ike (Corpus Christi) got nothing. But Beaumont/Port Arthur on the right side of Ike over to Lake Charles, LA got plenty. I understand that the cool front moving in in the next two days will create heavy thunderstorms and lots of rain on the coast. Just what they need.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:35 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
And STILL nothing for Central Texas. We need rain too!

Old 09-15-2008, 07:54 AM
RGV

570 posts, read 3,220,834 times
Well, finally got back on the internet. I'm in Round Rock now staying with my brother in law.

Spent all day Saturday clearing trees with other men of the neighborhood off the roads, then cleaning up my yard. Still sore this a.m.

Yesterday the lights were still off so the family left for round rock and I joined them later.

No opportunity to get any picks. Was too busy. Sorry about that.

Anyway, we're all safe and sound in Round Rock.

Adios
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas