Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 04:08 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times

Advertisements

Well I went through one oil bust in Houston, I would hate to see another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 05:02 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,565,838 times
Sounds like they are pretty neck and neck to me. Don't you wish all these demographers would get their answers together so they come out the same....good grief! Thanks for the information, people!

Old 09-16-2008, 05:49 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Well I went through one oil bust in Houston, I would hate to see another.
Houston's economy is no longer solely dependant on oil & hasn't been for the past couple of decades.

Shipping, heavy manufacturing, energy, & medical all make up Houston's economy.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:01 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,885,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston's economy is no longer solely dependant on oil & hasn't been for the past couple of decades.

Shipping, heavy manufacturing, energy, & medical all make up Houston's economy.
I wouldn't count on shipping much longer were I you. Within the next 10-20 years most of our goods will be shipped into cheap labor (and non-union) ports like Lázaro Cárdenas, Mexico, and trucked in via high-speed superhighways like the Trans-Texas Catastrophe.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:11 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
Aren't a lot of Houston's Fortune 500 energy companies?

Old 09-17-2008, 12:51 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Aren't a lot of Houston's Fortune 500 energy companies?
Yea...and?

Old 09-17-2008, 06:44 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,374,705 times
IMO, Houston's economy will exceed D/FW's over the next decade. Demand for domestic energy will only expand over that time period and H-Town is the capital. The only downside I see for Houston moving forward is companies may begin to think twice about moving headquarters or large operations there in light of the recent string of hits and near misses by Tropical Storms and Hurricanes. It seems to be an increasingly Hurricane prone region.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:41 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
It's not an increasingly hurricane prone region. It's on the coast and has, from the beginning of time probably, seen it's fair share of hurricanes. Dr. Neil said it just cycles every so many years that hurricanes happen to reach texas instead of Florida, Mississippi, or Louisiana. Smart building practices can help.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:45 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldbfree007 View Post
Houston and DFW are both experiencing booms....in terms of job growth Houston is #1....and pretty much every major business publication has been praising Houston. DFW hasnt been getting the same media attention as Houston....maybe due to the energy industry booming in Houston. Both cities are doing very well. Some analyst say that Houston will sustain this growth for the next 10 to 15 years. And today Houstons economy is much more diversified than what most people will have you believe.
lol what articles are you reading because I dont find that one to be true.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:55 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,288,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KantLockeMeIn View Post
I say instead of fighting between the two cities, let's boast together that we're two strong metro areas in the global economy located 4 hours apart in the best state.
I KNOW~!!!!
Its always Houston Putting down Dallas, and then we get mad so we put down Houston...or visa versa.
I think we should unite and attack the Californians...:P

Anyways,
in all fairness...
I do thing to say "DFW hand down is a bit over exaggerated". I'm not sure which economy is stronger as of now. I guess I would have to Say DFW only because of the slightly larger population.
on the other hand Houston does have the reputation on these forums to boast and promote very strongly...
Houstoners have already been called out for their aggressive behavior before.
Of course there are always bad tomatoes in a tomato patch, but if your a good tomato straighten the rotten ones.this goes for both Dallasites and Houstoners.

I don't think anyone' economy will exceed anyone else's any time soon.
in fact, I think if the Oil companies go down then Houston will take a small dip.
but I don't think the city relies so much on Oil that it'll bring the whole city down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas