U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-23-2008, 09:25 AM

27 posts, read 49,026 times
Default Allergies?!

I currently live in California, (in the valley) and my kids & myself have allergies due to the pollen and other stuff in the air, we get it bad. We are moving to Texas soon & I want to know, do people get allergies in Texas (anywhere in Texas) due to whats in the air?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 09:35 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,937,189 times
Allergens are very prevalent in Texas but it's all very regional. I can't speak for any area other than Dallas-Fort Worth, but the bad ones here are ragweed, fungus, and Mountain Cedar. Ragweed and fungus are high in spring and early fall (right now), and the Mountain Cedar peaks in January and February.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:59 AM

11,805 posts, read 13,870,799 times
Ragweed is the bane of my existence. I'm suffering from it right now! We need to get a nice rain shower.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:32 PM

7,713 posts, read 17,962,478 times
In Houston trees like oaks, pines, elm, and ash can cause spring allergies. Live oaks personally drive me nuts. We also get a bit of of mesquite that will paint your car yellow if you're near them. And that mountain cedar (ashe juniper) that drives people crazy in Jan/Feb is here too, but not nearly as much as in Austin. Mold can be high anytime of the year here. Ragweed & other weed pollen is going to get high soon for fall allergies.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:30 PM

1,673 posts, read 1,691,903 times
definitely bad here. it varies depending on where you are. el paso won't let people plant mulberry trees because the allergens are so bad. there, you also get whatever the wind chooses to bring in the desert dust from texas, new mexico, and chihuahua.
other areas have lots of cedar, mold, and pine trees. sorry--but, hey, welcome to Texas!

Old 09-23-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
definitely bad here. it varies depending on where you are. el paso won't let people plant mulberry trees because the allergens are so bad. there, you also get whatever the wind chooses to bring in the desert dust from texas, new mexico, and chihuahua.
other areas have lots of cedar, mold, and pine trees. sorry--but, hey, welcome to Texas!

bummer....oh well, I'd rather be in Texas suffering from allergies than dumb ole California!! lol.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:00 PM

20,016 posts, read 20,557,905 times
If you come to Houston be prepared to suffer, but we have great allergy doctors here, I ought to know, I give myself two allergy shots a week

Old 09-24-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
If you come to Houston be prepared to suffer, but we have great allergy doctors here, I ought to know, I give myself two allergy shots a week
We are moving to Longview...is it the same there?

Old 09-24-2008, 11:00 AM

20,016 posts, read 20,557,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali82 View Post
We are moving to Longview...is it the same there?
You will probably suffer with allergies there too, depends on what you are allergic too. But I'm sure there are good doctors there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas