U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 10:15 AM

15,831 posts, read 19,329,059 times
Default Waco and Dallas Sister Cities

It's sad how Waco was once around the same size as Dallas and they were considered sister cities. If the tornado would've never hit Waco, what do you guys think would've happen to the city???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 04:12 PM

12,308 posts, read 13,191,972 times
Who knows...?

Houston & Galveston were at one point in history "sister cities" too.

Some say Galveston could have easily been the next NYC had the great hurricane of 1900 not completely leveled the island, back then it was known as the "Wall Street of the South". Galveston was a major port of entry for immigrants & commercial trade. I guess history repeats itself though because Galveston was recently on its way to becoming a major tourist destination & desirable place to live until Ike hit.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:36 PM

1,018 posts, read 2,608,648 times
The divergence happened well before the tornado. IIRC the railroad came to Dallas instead of Waco, and the rest was history.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:10 PM

3,035 posts, read 4,644,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shaft View Post
The divergence happened well before the tornado. IIRC the railroad came to Dallas instead of Waco, and the rest was history.
Yes that is true, but the tornado was the final nail in the coffin!

Old 09-27-2008, 06:20 PM
Status: "19 million views. Thanks, everyone!" (set 1 day ago)

36,235 posts, read 19,020,943 times
It's hard to say where Waco would be now. That's interesting that Waco actually was a sister city of Dallas at one point in history. Where would it be population-wise and area-wise?? Probably larger than it is now, but not larger than Dallas.

Old 09-27-2008, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
It's hard to say where Waco would be now. That's interesting that Waco actually was a sister city of Dallas at one point in history. Where would it be population-wise and area-wise?? Probably larger than it is now, but not larger than Dallas.
I think Waco would be something around the size of Austin.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:15 PM

7,712 posts, read 17,911,936 times
Maybe I'm off base here, but I thought that sister cities and twin cities were two completely different and maybe unrelated things. I think I've seen obscure overseas towns as sister cities with large US cities, and vice versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt
Some say Galveston could have easily been the next NYC had the great hurricane of 1900 not completely leveled the island, back then it was known as the "Wall Street of the South".
As far as Galveston goes, being that it could've been like NYC, it was called the ''Ellis Island of the West,'' and "Wall Street of the Southwest":

GALVESTON.COM: Galveston, Texas History

I'm guessing Atlanta was the ''Wall Street of the South.'' Minor point anyhow.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:07 PM

15,831 posts, read 19,329,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Maybe I'm off base here, but I thought that sister cities and twin cities were two completely different and maybe unrelated things. I think I've seen obscure overseas towns as sister cities with large US cities, and vice versa.

As far as Galveston goes, being that it could've been like NYC, it was called the ''Ellis Island of the West,'' and "Wall Street of the Southwest":

GALVESTON.COM: Galveston, Texas History

I'm guessing Atlanta was the ''Wall Street of the South.'' Minor point anyhow.
Even after the tornado, I felt Waco could've still been prosperous but the city didn't attempt to rebuild agian.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:49 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,235,008 times
Waco is on the rise, new developers redoing downtown, ohh I cant wait.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txstate View Post
Waco is on the rise, new developers redoing downtown, ohh I cant wait.
I agree totally, but the city needs to encourage these developers to concentrate on redoing the rest of the city as well.......Waco keeps spreading out towards the southwest and west, can you believe McGregor is basically a suburb of Waco now? What else can encourage development inside Loop 340/Hwy 6? Downtown is a smart choice to do first, next they should work on the 17th St., 18th St., 25th St., 26th St., La Salle Ave., Elm Ave, and Waco Dr (25th Street eastward) corridors!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas